Solution to fix popping Gen2 factory subwoofer

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear center subwoofer speaker was making a popping sound and I didn't want to get an aftermarket speaker if I had to.... especially with an aftermarket grille, so I checked out a local high end home audio shop, they have a technician that comes in to fix speakers, such as replacing the outer foam ring which deteriorates over time, even on home speakers without being exposed to UV they breakdown over time regardless.

I just got my speaker back, cost me $50 with tax, shown below with a new foam ring which was cracked and falling apart causing the popping. I don't listen to music in my car much, maybe if I'm stuck in traffic listening to Jimi Hendrix, Steve Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin or whatever.. The shop noticed the speaker was made in Japan, bit odd being 6 ohm and it was worthwhile repairing.

Just wanted to let anyone know if they haven't had this done before that it's easy for them to repair it, he used a fixture to keep the cone centered when gluing on the new foam ring, and I would have probably screwed it up trying to do it myself, so it was worth the $50.. It's easy to remove the speaker, just use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pop the grille off, there's a slot at the bottom of the grille to insert the screwdriver, 4 philips screws to remove the speaker and unplug it.

attachment.php

Cheers,
Mike

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good advise, thanks!

I am also thinking to replace mine, which is already an aftermarket one (Sony). But still have the stock grill installed, so I believe that stock grill works with the majority of aftermarket speakers.

Holger

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear center subwoofer speaker was making a popping sound and I didn't want to get an aftermarket speaker if I had to.... especially with an aftermarket grille, so I checked out a local high end home audio shop, they have a technician that comes in to fix speakers, such as replacing the outer foam ring which deteriorates over time, even on home speakers without being exposed to UV they breakdown over time regardless.

I just got my speaker back, cost me $50 with tax, shown below with a new foam ring which was cracked and falling apart causing the popping. I don't listen to music in my car much, maybe if I'm stuck in traffic listening to Jimi Hendrix, Steve Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin or whatever.. The shop noticed the speaker was made in Japan, bit odd being 6 ohm and it was worthwhile repairing.

Just wanted to let anyone know if they haven't had this done before that it's easy for them to repair it, he used a fixture to keep the cone centered when gluing on the new foam ring, and I would have probably screwed it up trying to do it myself, so it was worth the $50.. It's easy to remove the speaker, just use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pop the grille off, there's a slot at the bottom of the grille to insert the screwdriver, 4 philips screws to remove the speaker and unplug it.

attachment.php

Cheers,
Mike
\Hi, I am a HUGH Vintage Fender Tube amp guy (as well as Fender Telecaster’s) who owns many amps from the 60’s.. Anyways, I keep my amps as close to original as possible so if I have a damaged speaker, I have a Company called Weber (Ted Weber) http://www.tedweber.com/
Re-cone my vintage speakers and they do an awesome job!!!! I highly recommend them for any re-coning. I also ask them to “Break” (they do it for free) the speaker in after they re-cone it so it sounds its best when I receive it.. They will re-cone anything and they are top notch!!!

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea. I refoamed my1970's-vintage Advent loudspeaker woofers with a kit I bought online and am most pleased with keeping them alive. I replaced my Viper's woofer with a Kicker unit because I wanted what I thought would be a better speaker overall. Only issue is that the OEM grill is no longer flush but I don't mind that look.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960