Some ACR problems (canards & wing)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loctite is 'anaerobic' in that it sets in the absense of air and not from the heat created by the friction of installation. It also is not to be used in metal to plastic applications. I'm not sure if the carbon fiber resins are 'plastic' or not but I don't think Loctite should be used in this application. But if your not having any issues maybe that's the right thing to do... I dunno.

Screws typically are never threaded directly into carbon fibre, there's a hard point, either an insert made of (anodized) aluminum, steel or delrin, rivnut or floating nut plate on the inside that is embedded into the carbon fibre, inside the part.

Metal screws, either steel, alloy etc.. in carbon fibre will encourage galvanic corrosion and require some type of coating. It would be a very, very poor practice / application if the screw is threaded directly into the carbon fibre material thickness and cutting a thread in carbon fibre is not good, and I highly doubt that they did this. If they did, shame on them.

Anybody have some pics of the threaded hole. You may have to look beyond the carbon fibre material thickness in the hole to see if there is different material that the screw threads into.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree! I have never seen CF threaded as that is a bad practice that evokes cracking very easily. Only seen something either embedded into the CF to thread into, or a plate behind it or in what you are attaching to, etc.. I would be interested to see how Dodge did this as well. Pictures?

Water sloshing around the wing? Sounds like a couple of very small drain holes need to be drilled into the bottom of the wing near the end plates or something. That's funny!

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screws typically are never threaded directly into carbon fibre, there's a hard point, either an insert made of (anodized) aluminum, steel or delrin, rivnut or floating nut plate on the inside that is embedded into the carbon fibre, inside the part.

Metal screws, either steel, alloy etc.. in carbon fibre will encourage galvanic corrosion and require some type of coating. It would be a very, very poor practice / application if the screw is threaded directly into the carbon fibre material thickness and cutting a thread in carbon fibre is not good, and I highly doubt that they did this. If they did, shame on them.

Anybody have some pics of the threaded hole. You may have to look beyond the carbon fibre material thickness in the hole to see if there is different material that the screw threads into.

Bought the tamper-proof allen key..It is 4mm and actually came in a set to put on tamper-proof license plate screws...The 4 bolts/screws all came out pretty easy but its something I wouldnt do every week...Looks like a blue loctite was used to install.??
I took some pics but they are pretty bad,lol...It looks like the bolts thread into a metal nutplate that is encased in a block of c/f or epoxy/plastic,its very solid..Kevin

You must be registered for see images attach

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99% guess would be that those are Zinc Yellow Chromate Plated Steel blind riv nuts, a very popular and excellent choice for a carbon fibre threaded fastener, along with blue loctite. They obviously used blind riv nuts so water or moisture cannot ********* the screw threads from the inside. The black adhesive is most likely DP 460, a type of epoxy used to bond carbon fibre parts together.

You're definitely safe to screw and unscrew many times not worrying about messing up the threads.

If that's the only hole on the side, I would them plug up with silicone. If you already have water in your wing, take the wing off and shake the water out and let it sit in the sun on it's end for a few hours before plugging it. I'm a bit surprised there's a hole, most wings are sealed units.

You must be registered for see images

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The wing adjustment tool is available through Prefix.

My wing allows water entry too. Fortunately, it drains pretty quickly.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The air gap in the top of the loctite despenser keeps it from hardening. If you squeeze all the air out and put the cap on...you'll be in for a suprise the next time you go to use it :mad:

George

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99% guess would be that those are Zinc Yellow Chromate Plated Steel blind riv nuts, a very popular and excellent choice for a carbon fibre threaded fastener, along with blue loctite. They obviously used blind riv nuts so water or moisture cannot ********* the screw threads from the inside. The black adhesive is most likely DP 460, a type of epoxy used to bond carbon fibre parts together.

You're definitely safe to screw and unscrew many times not worrying about messing up the threads.

If that's the only hole on the side, I would them plug up with silicone. If you already have water in your wing, take the wing off and shake the water out and let it sit in the sun on it's end for a few hours before plugging it. I'm a bit surprised there's a hole, most wings are sealed units.

You must be registered for see images

Cheers,
Mike

Mike,
I just took my endplates off to have painted..My car has not been washed be me yet(4 miles) so wing water isnt a problem yet,lol...Do you think it would be ok to cap the holes on each end or is silicone better to use.? If so what kind of silicone.? Kevin

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silicone gasket sealant would work, inside the hole and seal around the endplates if the water bothers you. I have over 4000 track miles on my car, lots of rocks and other stuff tossed onto it, and no probs with the canards. You prob have had some contact.

rics06viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking to buy a ACR wing, does anyone know where i can get one, besides threw Dodge !

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin, at work we use commercial silicone stuff that isn't readily available, but it's similar to Permatex RTV clear silicone that you can get at a local parts store. Since the silicone plug will be covered by the end plate, no worries about UV / sun damage. Another reason why I wouldn't bother sealing the end plates, the exposed silicone will break down over time in the sun, and if sealed around the perimeter, silicone may have a leak path at the top and that void behind the end plate may just fill up with water and may corrode the backside of the end plate over time, probably best that the end plate is not sealed, just suggesting to fill the hole. We also build carbon fibre race boats (i.e. competitive catamarans, etc..), it wouldn't be nice when there's a leak path in the hull, dealt with carbon fibre and water.. here's a couple links to one of the boats made in our shop.. some pretty big wings shown in the pdf link.

Eaton holds his biggest sails event - thestar.com

http://ca.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oG73VCgs5Lo2YAYA7rFAx.;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMDB1dG1yBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0NBQzAwMV8x/SIG=14fgj1b5g/EXP=1271911362/**http%3a//www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/sailboats/42020d1270737646-moth-foils-30-31-knots-34-86-mph-stevekilling-f.pdf

Cheers,
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang