Some New Viper Records

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well took my ACR out today for a track rental, the first time I have actually driven a Viper in about 3 years since I sold my Gen 11. The car ran good, and I hope I don't get banned from the forum and become the laughing stock since I didn't run 10's as some keyboard ******* suggested on another thread. The temps were in the mid 80's and traction was fair at best and to be honest I wasn't able to get the car out of the hole like I wanted as the 3.07's are tricky with the tall tires. All in all I was pretty happy as my worst run of about 10 I made was my first run and my first run in a Viper in 3 years. It turns out the 11.31 on my first run was close to or was the fastest ever made by a Bonestock Viper, but the rest of my runs were all faster! I ran several 11.2's and a couple of teens and my best was a 11.07 at close to 130mph. In good air about 30 degrees cooler and some driving practice on my part and I think 10.8 at about 132mph is very doable in as delivered condition! We have another track day coming up next month so I am expecting to do it then. Definately one Badass Car!
Here are the timeslips.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car completely stock or did you tweak, port and tune it like you did the Z06? If it is 100% stock, those are some great initial runs. The tall gears in Vipers have always been a major hindrance for 1/4 mile drag racing.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great great numbers

i think i have the record for the slowest 1/4 in a non stock 08

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car completely stock or did you tweak it like you did the Z06? If it is 100% stock, those are some great initial runs. The tall gears in Vipers have always been a major hindrance for 1/4 mile drag racing.

Its exactly like my Z06 and thats BONESTOCK! Like I told you I don't need to tweak anything on my cars, I got the best mod of all, ME DRIVING IT!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Jamie, those are great times. Looking forward to a 10 sec slip. Did you have the rear wing on?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great times man. Its only a matter of time before that 10 comes. Even with that tall gearing you hit 11 flat at almost 130mph. Ive always wished Dodge gave the ACR special shorter gearing than the regular Viper. Would make a world of difference on tracks like the Ring and the drag strip. Its a racer so who cares about a steeper gas guzzler tax with the shorter gears.

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Jamie, those are great times. Looking forward to a 10 sec slip. Did you have the rear wing on?

Thanks! After I ran the 11.07 I took the wing off to see if it made a difference and maybe could put me in the 10's?, then I ran an 11.17 and an 11.24 with the wing off so I put back on and ran 11.20 and 11.23 but the car was hot so that is why I don't think I was able to get into the 10's today. So the wing didn't seem to make a difference as I didn't think it would as my 98 GT2Viper always ran identical times to my other Viper and it had a big wing also. The 1/4 mile is to short and too slow for the wing to make a difference IMO.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome runs brother!!! I love drag racing always a good time:2tu: You should bolt on a Whipple on that GT. I have one on my GT and picked up 100 plus hp. I bet you could run mid 10s with a Whippled GT 743rwhp.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great Times!!

Just wait until you loosen up the engine with a few more miles on it ... you will get into the 10s.

How many miles were on it when you hit the track?

BTW - I'll be in NoVa this week - will you be around?

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome runs brother!!! I love drag racing always a good time:2tu: You should bolt on a Whipple on that GT. I have one on my GT and picked up 100 plus hp. I bet you could run mid 10s with a Whippled GT 743rwhp.

Thanks man! My GT already runs mid 10's at 136 with just a tune and pulley.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Jamie. What was the raceweight and density altitude that day? Still have the Z06 too?

Tony

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I believe that your times are the best so far, even if they are not as good as you will soon get. I wonder if a Viper could be launched in second gear in order to save a shift. Perhaps will lower gears? The GTS' seem to have much better low end than Gen 3 Vipers so maybe it is not possible with a post 2003 Viper. Just a thought. When I raced motocross, most of us would holeshot in 2nd gear in order to eliminate one shift.

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great times Jamie!! Thats some very good driving and we all know with better weather you'll run 10's. I knew these cars would run 10's BONE stock. My best bone stock run was 11.43 at Bradenton and it was hot and my first time out with he 08. You should drive mine and run low 10's. :D

Good luck with your new 10 second toy!! Gotta LOVE displacement! :2tu:

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great times Jamie!! Thats some very good driving and we all know with better weather you'll run 10's. I knew these cars would run 10's BONE stock. My best bone stock run was 11.43 at Bradenton and it was hot and my first time out with he 08. You should drive mine and run low 10's. :D

Good luck with your new 10 second toy!! Gotta LOVE displacement! :2tu:

Thanks! Hey if we ever race together well trade cars and see what we get:drive:
As far as leaving in 2nd gear that would make an already bad problem worse as when you leave now with the 3.07's what seems like a perfect leave turns into a bog because of the gearing, shifting is the easy part the leave is the hard part. If there is only 1 thing I can agree on with Alex, and believe me there is only about 1 thing and that is that the GTS has much better low end torque and is much, much easier to leave with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Jamie. What was the raceweight and density altitude that day? Still have the Z06 too?

Tony

Thanks man, as far as DA I don't do that kind of stuff all I can tell you is it was 83, 84 degrees at the track on the mirror of my 2008 Chevy Truck. I still have the Z06 also.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, for DA go here:
DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com
Though I'm not sure what track Jamie ran at?

Jamie,

Did you do anything to the alignment and ride height to help the car launch? For drag racing, I'd expect raising it up a bit (to help with weight transfer) and setting the rear camber to zero or slightly positive would help? I'd expect you could also get some time out of damper adjustments, right? Maybe setting the front bump and rear rebound to max? My ACR came with the dampers set to the recommended street setting, and it was rather bouncy.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, both my SRT and my GTS are completely stock so I am a good source for comparing power. The SRT feels like your average family sedan below 3000 rpm's, while the GTS feels like and old school big block Chevy in low end torque. I have no doubt that the GTS would beat my SRT, mostly because of a huge advantage in low end torque and a lack of delay coming into the powerband. Of course, my SRT is an '06 and doesn't have the extra 100hp of the '08.

Do you agree that Jessica Alba is fine as hell? If so, we agree on 2 things, not 1.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have the Z06 also.

Are you using it properly now that you have a real american sports car (taking the shedding St. Bernard for a ride, picking up groceries, light towing, airport taxi hauls, pulling out pesky tree stumps, overnight ghetto parking, ********** drinking binges and of course, yard waste hauling??).

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, both my SRT and my GTS are completely stock so I am a good source for comparing power. The SRT feels like your average family sedan below 3000 rpm's, while the GTS feels like and old school big block Chevy in low end torque. I have no doubt that the GTS would beat my SRT, mostly because of a huge advantage in low end torque and a lack of delay coming into the powerband. Of course, my SRT is an '06 and doesn't have the extra 100hp of the '08.

Do you agree that Jessica Alba is fine as hell? If so, we agree on 2 things, not 1.

Ok 2 things

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, for DA go here:
DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com
Though I'm not sure what track Jamie ran at?

Jamie,

Did you do anything to the alignment and ride height to help the car launch? For drag racing, I'd expect raising it up a bit (to help with weight transfer) and setting the rear camber to zero or slightly positive would help? I'd expect you could also get some time out of damper adjustments, right? Maybe setting the front bump and rear rebound to max? My ACR came with the dampers set to the recommended street setting, and it was rather bouncy.

I haven't touched it, barely any miles and a paper tag! I wouldn't even know how until I read all the manuals. Mir was the track and it was a 6speedonline track rental done by my friend Ahmad and there were about 30 cars present including a GTR, which IMO is a beautiul car in person and fast too! It ran 12.1 at 118 just flooring it off the line not using the launch control.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GREAT times Jamie a 10 second run is right around the corner as the coolerv weather is here.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Hey if we ever race together well trade cars and see what we get:drive:
As far as leaving in 2nd gear that would make an already bad problem worse as when you leave now with the 3.07's what seems like a perfect leave turns into a bog because of the gearing, shifting is the easy part the leave is the hard part. If there is only 1 thing I can agree on with Alex, and believe me there is only about 1 thing and that is that the GTS has much better low end torque and is much, much easier to leave with.

PS definately the 08 have NOTHING under 3 grand and then look out.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how so many people state that the SRT's are far superior to the GTS (except for appearance) but I don't agree. There are a few serious areas where I prefer the GTS and I have both. Like Jamie said, one of those areas is low end torque. It's not even close.

Having said this, don't blow it next time, Jamie.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY worked 96 GTS made approx 570 to the tire (motor alone )and ran 11.2 at 131.5 on Pilots.My stock 08 may be slightly faster BUT its all up top in the new car (i think thats the main reason alot of them were wrecked last winter ) the power band on the 96 was much broader

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY worked 96 GTS made approx 570 to the tire (motor alone )and ran 11.2 at 131.5 on Pilots.My stock 08 may be slightly faster BUT its all up top in the new car (i think thats the main reason alot of them were wrecked last winter ) the power band on the 96 was much broader

I miss that car. Thing would buck like a bull trying to shift from 1st to 2nd gear.:drive: Sigh, I miss the Viper event at E-town.

--RS

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they gen III's are slower and less visually appealing than the gen II's, why own one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper