Someone please forward this message to Ralph Giles and the rest of the SRT Team-ASAP

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Re: Someone please forward this message to Ralph Giles and the rest of the SRT Team-A

I don't agree with the OP at all. I like what SRT did, and don't want any changes. I've got money to buy one, providing they don't conceed to the study hall stylists.

Well lucky for you, they are building the GTS and you can buy one if available. What we are talking about here, however, is how we want the new ACR to look.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Someone please forward this message to Ralph Giles and the rest of the SRT Team-A

I think you are losing sight of the fact that markets are relative. Just because the Viper has a "lot of power" doesn't mean ANYTHING for bragging rights when it is surrounded by a sea of similar power numbers these days. Since the Viper isnt at the top of the Power Pile anymore, it should have had a body to die for like the GTSR to at least make it even more unique and not just look like a retro version. This is great for the Gen-2 nutswingers that havent let the Gen-2 body design go, but it does not help any of us progressive types that wanted to see a body evolution or revolution... not a leap into the past.

Power wise, I for one expect that this car will be severely underrated. However, I also think that it was a bad move for them to do so. These days, numbers sell cars, and they should have displayed such. With how easy it has proven to be in the aftermarket to move the Gen-4's into the 700+ range and still remain "test-ably compliant", there is NO WAY SRT could not have done the same. I understand all too well the problems of emissions compliance, but it is not rocket science for an OEM to make a few changes like that.

You are also forgetting that a "concept" is what takes all of the development costs- it is CHEAP by comparison to copy it! They already have the GTSR body, and they will already be producing its parts. It is not a big deal to mass produce something that is already in production and designed. I would say that the response is more than "there" on the topic. Everyone loves the GTSR, and the regular body has been luke-warm. Any intelligent group of business officials would produce the car that has the most appeal to buyers they hope to sell to. These are basic business concepts as well. Manufacturers regularly forget this while trying to fit projects into certain budget constraints, and it becomes a "well guys, we have to lose the widebody kit so we can afford the new interior". Where is the guy in the back of the room saying "Are you ****ting me?!? Why not charge 1K more and give them BOTH. We aren't making a Prius here guys, and we already have the bodywork available!"

The Viper is not and has never been a car that should be built within a strict budget- it should be flexible based on response.

+1

The only point I am not sure about is the "severely underrated" power point. Given the changes advertised and SAE Standard rating, I do not see this happening.

Let's hope the ACR has a lot more power and looks much meaner.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like I'm back. Just to shed more light on the "the GTS is as wide as legally possible" lies told by SRT, look here:

AMG SLS Black Series in development. The stock SLS is 76.3" wide. This looks to be minimum 2" wider on each side for a total of 4". According to many here, why on earth would AMG do this!!!?? Oh the humanity!! What practical purpose does it serve? It's not like Mercedes or AMG know anything about marketing and what people like, right? Sorry for the sarcasm, but I can't fathom anyone not wanting to see an ACR like the GTS-R.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mercedes-benz-slc-spy-shots/#photo-5088449/

I look forward to this new model wider than legal car driving around stateside.

OP
OP
D

Drummerboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Looks like I'm back. Just to shed more light on the "the GTS is as wide as legally possible" lies told by SRT, look here:

AMG SLS Black Series in development. The stock SLS is 76.3" wide. This looks to be minimum 2" wider on each side for a total of 4". According to many here, why on earth would AMG do this!!!?? Oh the humanity!! What practical purpose does it serve? It's not like Mercedes or AMG know anything about marketing and what people like, right? Sorry for the sarcasm, but I can't fathom anyone not wanting to see an ACR like the GTS-R.

Comments from that article
Party Pooper that ruins it for everyone:
"The original gullwing was difficult to get in and out of and the current model isn't much easier. Current technology allows for increased rigidity without the gullwing design, but nostalgia is sometimes an important brand commodity after all. If the gullwing eventually goes away I think the only ones who will miss it will be those who don't have to drive the car on a regular basis."

Guy that gets "it":
"Not everyone that drives a SLS has flexibility/mobility issues (granted, those most likely to have saved enough to afford one are more likely to have those issues) . I've owned mine for two months now, put nearly 4000 miles on it, and don't have any issues getting in an out. Supercars are unnecessary and superfluous by definition, odd design choices and foibles are what set them apart. Homogeneity is boring. "

- Rob

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are people just complaining for the sake of complaining? The Gen5 is too narrow? Some comparisons to some of the competition...

width, (height)

Ferrari 458:
76.3, (47.8)

Gen 5 Viper:
76.4, (49.1)

MP4-12C:
75.2, (47.2)

SLS AMG:
76.3, (49.69)

Audi R8:
75.9, (49.2)

Corvette ZR1:
75.9, (48.7)

Gallardo LP560-4:
74.8, (45.9)

Sure the Murcielago & Aventador are ridiculously wide, but the Viper isn't narrow by any means. The Viper definitely has a supercar stance and road presence. I don't expect the dimensions of the ACR to be any different.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree the Viper as is is plenty wide. Buttt we are all talking about the ACR NOT the regular Vipers. Why wouldn't anyone want the wider ACR as it is a track oriented car. Wider is better on the track or else no one would widen their cars when they take them racing. It would only increase the Vipers already prodigeous handling envelope. Who wouldnt want that for the Ring King?

This is about the ACR. I Don't know why everyone keeps mentioning the regular Viper for. Leave the regular GTS/SRT Vipers the way they are as SRT ain't changing its styling one bit. But for the next ACR I see nothing wrong with us voicing our opinions on what we would want to see the car look like.

The GTSR body would just add some much needed meanness and a much more aggressive road presence beyond what the normal Vipers body is capable of. There is no disputing that.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I find this whole discussion wierd. The ACR has never had a body different than the production Viper. To ask or expect that SRT could do the suspension upgrades and put a different body on the car is, well.....AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! The cost would start putting the ACR closer to the GTS-R than a production Viper in terms of price.

SRT has to develop the convertible version and is probably working on an ACR to be released at later dates to keep interest up in the Viper. I believe the best "wish" for something similar to the nicely done PS is to hope it will be the next generation Viper.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That article is about the SLC, its actually going to be a baby SLS...

"new sports coupe positioned just under the SLS AMG. Designed to take on the Porsche 911, the model will be smaller than its older brother in every way"

Anyways this whole thread is going no where.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This illustration by Austin is (without question and/or debate) EXACTY how the new Viper should have been released out of the gate.
Eh, the horrible looking headlights are still there. :(

AndyP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could not see the video