Someone please forward this message to Ralph Giles and the rest of the SRT Team-ASAP

Drummerboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This illustration by Austin is (without question and/or debate) EXACTY how the new Viper should have been released out of the gate.

Ralph - if you are listening: There is still time to make things right. Craft the new ACR in this image and it's game over - SRT wins at cars.

- Rob

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Someone please forward this message to Ralph Giles and the rest of the SRT Team-A

I must agree with Rob 100%. If dodge can make that happen they will be #1 in this industry!!!

Side note: Hows it going Rob? You in a viper now?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Re: Someone please forward this message to Ralph Giles and the rest of the SRT Team-A

Now THAT is a Viper.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not even yellow and I still love it! :smirk:

OP
OP
D

Drummerboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I must agree with Rob 100%. If dodge can make that happen they will be #1 in this industry!!!

Side note: Hows it going Rob? You in a viper now?

Wayne - It's been a while. I see great minds still think alike! =) I've picked up a few different rides since and am currently running around in a Lotus. However, Viper #4 is surely to be in my future soon! PM me with some links to pix of your latest rides (I know you have to have gone through more than a few yourself) or send me a friend request on facebook so we can catch up.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THAT is awesome for an ACR version. Love it.......

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great looking Viper.

We went through this same discussion with the Gen II Comp Coupe.

While they look great, they are too wide for the street.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great looking Viper.

We went through this same discussion with the Gen II Comp Coupe.

While they look great, they are too wide for the street.

Here is what I don't understand. The Comp Coupe was 77.2 inches and SRT says that is too wide for the street. Yet here is Lamborghini with an 80" wide Murcielago and it isn't too wide for the street and it doesn't have this mythical added lights that Ralph talked about the Viper needing if it was any wider. The Enzo was 80.1 as well. Something doesn't add up with that line of reasoning as to why the Viper can't be wider. Was some new regulation instituted recently? If so than that would make sense as to what Ralph said.

Even if for some reason its too wide, just take an inch or so off and make it look as close as possible as that picture:2tu:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Now THAT is a Viper.

Agree, this is the one I would save the pennies to purchase. The current street version I like, but I already find myself looking at other 100k "alternatives" for when I decide to sell my gen 3.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score

+1 me too. This is what the ACR body should be like. If this doesn't happen we can only hope Jeff Lemke will make a new street serpent for the gen5.

OP
OP
D

Drummerboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here is what I don't understand. The Comp Coupe was 77.2 inches and SRT says that is too wide for the street. Yet here is Lamborghini with an 80" wide Murcielago and it isn't too wide for the street and it doesn't have this mythical added lights that Ralph talked about the Viper needing if it was any wider. The Enzo was 80.1 as well. Something doesn't add up with that line of reasoning as to why the Viper can't be wider. Was some new regulation instituted recently? If so than that would make sense as to what Ralph said.

Even if for some reason its too wide, just take an inch or so off and make it look as close as possible as that picture:2tu:

Agreed - As you mentioned, at the moment, there are a number of cars on the road that are at 80" in width (Enzo, Murcielago, Aventador, etc) and a few trucks (Ford Super Duty is 105” with standard mirrors) that are allot wider. Most state regulations currently average 102" max width on a vehicle from what I understand.

In my opinion, the Vipers weakness has always been its lack of width and wheel arches. It flat sides (especially on the angular Gen-3/4's) never did anything for its road presence.

I was hoping the Gen-5 was going to knock my socks off with a more aggressive design, and having seen the car in person both in NY and VA, I have to say my socks were not rocked, and are still firmly planted on my feet.

With the current trend of manufactures making their vehicles narrower, smaller and leaner, going wider for the ACR would be just one more bold step that SRT can take to separate itself from the current competition.

It's certainly feasible, and I think (if executed properly) giving the ACR the extra 6” of width/ flare from the GTS-R over the standard 76.4 would (beyond enhancing performance) give all the guys in this niche what they really want - the exotic road presence that a only low wide car can provide.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For you it is. But SRT has to appeal to more buyers than just those who like the photoshop below. It is a good effort by Austin but I believe that once SRT's version of the Gen V Viper becomes available you will be pleased. Ralph showed us a drawing of what it may look like at his December slide presentation for the VCA South Florida Chapter. It was impressive.

This illustration by Austin is (without question and/or debate) EXACTY how the new Viper should have been released out of the gate.

Ralph - if you are listening: There is still time to make things right. Craft the new ACR in this image and it's game over - SRT wins at cars.

- Rob

OP
OP
D

Drummerboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

“For you it is”… *Sigh*… Humanity, why must you fail me so often?

There will (sadly) always be the occasional odd duck, but I believe most people would agree that the factory GTS-R and Austin’s p-chop represents both A: How the base Viper should have been released from the get-go, and B: Any design that SRT puts out for the new ACR that is less aggressive than the GTS-R or what is portrayed in said p-chop (ie, a Gen-5 GTS with a simple bolt on Gen-4 ACR style aero kit), will not measure up to what simply just could and should be.

In regards to “appealing to more buyers” I’d be curious to know the results of a poll: How many people would prefer the softer stock Gen-5 in their garage to the more aggressive lines of GTS-R or the p-chops shops Austin has laid out?

-Rob

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah, C'mon Ralph. Don't worry if it's street legal or not, Just build the Damn thing :rolleyes:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Im glad everyone likes the PS's Ive done. I agree, the car should be a little wider with a more aggressive looks/stance.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Surprised no one mentioned this. The comp coupe not being legal had nothing at all to do with the width. It had to do with the tail lights being obscured by the wrap around fenders. That's it.

Ralph, you've done a great job. Quit being a Canadian! No more excuses, Gen V ACR is this. Glad we had this talk! ;)

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I kind of dig that stripe style. Wish the GTS had that style.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Im glad everyone likes the PS's Ive done. I agree, the car should be a little wider with a more aggressive looks/stance.

This is exactly what want, thank you!

As for width, this is a 2013 car and dealing with regulations, the car is as wide as it can be without side marker lights, for a 2013+ production car.

But, I'm going to now go be alone with this silver PS, 100% car ****.

OP
OP
D

Drummerboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This is exactly what want, thank you!

As for width, this is a 2013 car and dealing with regulations, the car is as wide as it can be without side marker lights, for a 2013+ production car.

But, I'm going to now go be alone with this silver PS, 100% car ****.

I hearya about the regulations Dman - I've heard the same thing! Makes me wonder how the 2013 Aventador gets around that issue at 80" overall width (including mirrors, its 89") without any special side marker lamps. If the regulations are true, then my speculation would be the company could have gone for a low volume waiver.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rest assured that SRT and Chrysler, unlike keyboard jockies like us, have actually studied what their market is and what they can sell to it. Their jobs and success depend on it. SRT stated publicly that the target market for the Gen V includes current Porsche, Audi R8, ZR-1, and similar car owners not just Viper loyalists like us. Ralph's slide show was presented at a number of Chapter events - not just in South Florida. All of those who saw the slides before the reveal were pledged to secrecy. The reveal is now long over so the slides can be mentioned.

“For you it is”… *Sigh*… Humanity, why must you fail me so often?

There will (sadly) always be the occasional odd duck, but I believe most people would agree that the factory GTS-R and Austin’s p-chop represents both A: How the base Viper should have been released from the get-go, and B: Any design that SRT puts out for the new ACR that is less aggressive than the GTS-R or what is portrayed in said p-chop (ie, a Gen-5 GTS with a simple bolt on Gen-4 ACR style aero kit), will not measure up to what simply just could and should be.

In regards to “appealing to more buyers” I’d be curious to know the results of a poll: How many people would prefer the softer stock Gen-5 in their garage to the more aggressive lines of GTS-R or the p-chops shops Austin has laid out?

-Rob

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First off, that silver viper photoshop is amazing.

Honestly this forum will never be pleased. The viper that came out now honestly looks amazing. This wider one even looks better, but what if the wider one came out at the start? You know what everyone would complain about? Horsepower. You guys would say "oh we could care less how wide it is it should have at least 700 hp." Or what if it was wider and had 700 HP. Everyone would complain that its $ 175K.

You guys love to complain. The car has only been out a month and not even all the details are out. I'm no expert but it has to cost a lot of money to make a wider body kit from the factory. If this car came out would the people complaining pay almost 200 grand to get it? I guarantee the majority wouldn't.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now THAT is a Viper.

Couldn't agree more.
If THAT was the Gen V Viper I wouldn't be looking at anything else.
The current alliteration (AKA gentleman's edge-less cruiser) doesn't excite me in the slightest.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is hard to argue. Those renderings did look freakin' sweet! :)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting. So it's new regs as to why it can't be wider.

If the Aventador got away with its 80" width due to its low volume can't SRT then just apply for the same low volume status for the ACR model? Have it as a standalone model with low production per year to qualify if that's how it works.

Reaction score

First off, that silver viper photoshop is amazing.

Honestly this forum will never be pleased. The viper that came out now honestly looks amazing. This wider one even looks better, but what if the wider one came out at the start? You know what everyone would complain about? Horsepower. You guys would say "oh we could care less how wide it is it should have at least 700 hp." Or what if it was wider and had 700 HP. Everyone would complain that its $ 175K.

You guys love to complain. The car has only been out a month and not even all the details are out. I'm no expert but it has to cost a lot of money to make a wider body kit from the factory. If this car came out would the people complaining pay almost 200 grand to get it? I guarantee the majority wouldn't.

+1 and yes the PS does look cool.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I honestly don't expect the base GTS to be as wide as the GTS-R. The picture here is an extremely crude MS Paint adjustment that shows how I think the rear of the GTS should have looked. Then the ACR would be like the GTS-R. The thing that throws me off about the rear of the GTS is how the tailights are the width of the rear. I liked how the original GTS had the vents on each side.

As far as the Viper being at maximum width, I call 100% BS. Without a doubt they could have gotten around those regulations. Even if they had to add a side marker, do it creatively where it can easily be removed later. It's not too late for SRT to get on the ball and give Viper lovers the ACR they want to see.

I've said it for years, YES, if SRT makes a "super viper" that is wideody, scuderia type interior, etc. They will sell out at $150k. No ifs ands or buts. The real issue here is cost. The bean counters don't want a loss leader anymore that is essentially advertisement for the brand. They want to make money. From my perspective, advertising is outrageously expensive. IMO it would do a whole lot more for the brand to make a loss leading widebody ACR just like the GTS-R and sell it for break even.

Dodge didn't listen with the Gen III/IV, and while many people loved them, hundreds sat for sale on lots. Hopefully they learn their lesson this time around.

Lastly, who gives a poop if people complain. I'd rather listen to the most pessimistic complainer than hear these cheerleaders whine about people giving their input, good or bad. We wouldn't be passionate people otherwise. You all, and SRT, should be flattered that we all care so much. Not the other way around.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who here cares about side marker lights if you like the rest of the vehicle?

I own a Ford F-150 Raptor that requires the 5 "dually" lights seen on 1 ton dually pickup trucks due to its width (although they are smaller and located in a different place compared to a dually truck). I actually like the truck better with them on there. I'm sure there is a way to incorporate whatever lights are necessary into a wider Viper without negatively affecting the looks of the car.

Great chops Austin!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

More width - more weight, more air to push, highway lane issues with other drivers, parking issues, harder to squeeze through a narrow opening when racing. Other than the personal appearance preference shown by some above, what is the practical benefit?

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

^ For one, the ****** stimulation I receive every time I look at this car. It's been said that a woman got pregnant just for looking at this photoshop.

Why are all the race cars so damn wide? I know that for cars like this it's to fit wider tires, but how about the prototype racers? They are made from scratch, surely if it was better for racing they would have made them more narrow. Why are all supercars wide? On average a supercar is 78" or more.

Seriously though, yes, it's because it looks amazing. Last time I checked that's why people pay so much for these cars. For how they look. If performance and practicality were the only measures no one would ever buy an Enzo, Zonda, F40, F50, Aventador, Murcielago, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang