SOUND DEADNER

ultra88

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anybody ever pulled back the carpet on their viper in the footwells?
What a joke....no pad, nothing but floorpan and cheap ass looking carpet.
Gee....wonder why they have road noise.
Im gonna gut the interior this winter and dynamat the floor and firewall and mabe the inside of the doors,,,,,its got to be a vast improvement over whats there now.....which is nothing. Im doing the trunk also.
I relize this type of car is not supposed to be quiet as a lexus or a jag. but come on....70 grand plus....it should have a little something in it.
Has anybody done this to their car? I just did my 70 prostreet roadrunner and it made a huge difference.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ha! how funny. If I pulled the carpet out and found sound deadner on my ACR I would be pissed! Putting extra weight on my race car would be.... bad.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im gonna gut the interior this winter and dynamat the floor and firewall and mabe the inside of the doors,,,,,its got to be a vast improvement over whats there now.....which is nothing. Im doing the trunk also.
I relize this type of car is not supposed to be quiet as a lexus or a jag. but come on....70 grand plus....it should have a little something in it.
Has anybody done this to their car? I just did my 70 prostreet roadrunner and it made a huge difference.
viper's were built for 1 thing to go fast, If you wanted a quite ride you should of spent the 70 grand on your lexus or jag.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed 50 sq ft of B-quiet (covered almost everything in 2 layers - I'm about 4 sq ft short,) and 13 sq ft of B-quiet Vcomp (horizontal portions only) in the rear hatch of my GTS. Definitely worth the expense and backache. 25-30 lbs added weight. Easy to compensate for the extra weight by getting rid of your (or the car's) spare tire, getting rid of your passenger, adding various performance mods, etc.

I'll probably do the rest of the car in the next few months.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about a little cheese with that wine? :buttkick:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha! how funny. If I pulled the carpet out and found sound deadner on my ACR I would be pissed! Putting extra weight on my race car would be.... bad.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nana:

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought a car with a 488 cubic inch V-10 engine, that has a 200 MPH speedometer, and say it's too loud. Amazing.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's OK it came that way from the factory. If you could strategically place 10lbs of sound deadener throughout the car and make a big difference, it's worth at least discussing.

Most of you guys who give the: "who cares it's a racecar?" response only drive on the street anyway.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to sumarily dismiss a reasonable question, let's see your racing credentials.

I drive my car every day and do laps at Texas World Motor Speedway. It has 37,000 miles on it. I am guessing you leave yours in the garage for 4 months out of the year. When you are stuck in traffic which invariably happens if you drive the car, it is completely reasonable to see if a little effort and minimal added weight can help.

Watch who you call a panzy.

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all you diehard non-pansies why don't you rip the carpet out and drive a real man's car. No need for that fussy material on the floor, and it would save you about 15 pounds and .00000000001289765443 of second around your neighborhood block. Give this guy a break he was asking a question about blocking out some road noise if you don't have any advice quit sounding like **** and saying your a man and he isn't.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to sumarily dismiss a reasonable question, let's see your racing credentials.

I drive my car every day and do laps at Texas World Motor Speedway. It has 37,000 miles on it. I am guessing you leave yours in the garage for 4 months out of the year. When you are stuck in traffic which invariably happens if you drive the car, it is completely reasonable to see if a little effort and minimal added weight can help.

Watch who you call a panzy.

Oh my dear boy, you picked the wrong Garage Queen for that one. My car is a YEAR NEWER then yours (I bought it brand new off the show room floor) and I have put on well over 20k more then you. At the point I sold my car 3-4 weeks ago, I single handedly put 59,000+ miles on it, in just over 3 years. I just won the Carolina's Auto-X, I run a 2:16 at VIR (OEM street tires), and have easily tracked there no less then 12 different days. Also have a couple of days at Mid Ohio Race way under my belt too, in the viper. I have run Cup Tires, Street Tires, I have had the car 4 corner balanced, lowered, have the ACR version. I've put headers, high flow cats and a cat back on the car (sounds as wonderfull as these should be RELEASED for all man to hear, not quited with padding). I also have consistenly gotten one of the top 3 places (actually top 2) in our VCA drag racing contest at Mopar AT the rock, any year I participate. And even won 1st place the year I didnt (Thanks Janni Cone) I have been super charged, heads and cammed, and a number of other mods. My car right before sale, was capable of doing 11.5x @ 125 and was piloted by me at least 10 times on various days to that number (after I went back to a stock motor with no heads or cam, or super charger).

Sorry, I'll call a guy who crys about sound deading a panzy, if I have dealt with it for more miles then he has, and think its completely unreasonable to assum such an amazing car should be vette'ized for guys like you...

Ok rant over, still luv ya, cuz your part of the family.. thanks for letting me *****.. i love doing it.

Jon

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As mentioned above, the B-quiet sound deadner. Can also do a search for brown bread. It was around $175 for a full roll, and did nearly the entire car.
floors....tunnel....roof...rear tub....behind seats...doors...etc.

Not I'm not a wuss, don't care about the 20lbs...If I want the car faster, then I'll eat a salad. I drive mostly on the street and want to be able to hear conversation/stereo.

P.S. I also put sound deadner in the roadrunner and it still runs just fine.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon> At the point I sold my car 3-4 weeks ago

In that case your opinion no longer matters. And for what it's worth I have high flow cats and a cat back. 10 lbs of sound deadener may actually allow you to hear the motor and exhaust instead of road noise. It's a completely reasonable question for the guy to ask without getting his head bit off by some wanna be track star.

As for your racing credentials, I am not impressed. Post an open wheel event you have placed in and got paid for. You are good at autocrossing and run time trials. I am overwhelmed.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon> At the point I sold my car 3-4 weeks ago

In that case your opinion no longer matters. And for what it's worth I have high flow cats and a cat back. 10 lbs of sound deadener may actually allow you to hear the motor and exhaust instead of road noise. It's a completely reasonable question for the guy to ask without getting his head bit off by some wanna be track star.

As for your racing credentials, I am not impressed. Post an open wheel event you have placed in and got paid for. You are good at auto crossing and run time trials. I am overwhelmed.

Wow Mit, up until that post I just thought you were an idiot. But now, its confirmed. So let me get this logic of yours clarified, if you no longer have, or do something related to anything you have experience in, your experience is null and void. :confused: :rolleyes: Cool, pull a little ******* the crack pipe, I think you are almost brain dead, we need you to **** just a little bit more to finish the job. :2tu:

And wanna be track star ?? hmmm.. dont recall calling myself that. He accused me of being a garage queen, definitely not the case. I'm about positive my over all abilities in all 3 of those activities, far out weigh yours in the same 3. But we still have another Viper in my family, so if you would like to test my hypothesis, I'd be more then happy to oblige if you don’t mind traveling. :D

I'm sure you too have no such credentials with open wheel cars, therefore I guess your opinion is negated also, based on your failed logic. But I do agree, you probably are overwhelmed, but with shortcomings of your own. :D

Thanks for the fun.

Jon

PS. hahahaha.. arent you the guy who "totalled" your car with twisting the frame? So does that mean your opinion no longer matters? since you cant drive yours any more?? ... lol....

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The frame turned out to be fine. Nice to see you took the time to research my posts.

Jon> Wow Mit, up until that post I just thought you were
Jon> an idiot. But now, its confirmed.

That was witty. In 10 years on the internet, I have never heard that expression used before.

Everyone, if you ever want to make your car more user friendly, make sure to get approval from Jon. He is the be all end all of appropriate usage of a Viper even though he sold his and thinks his Dad's Viper makes him relevant.
Make sure you throw away your radio and remove the carpet entirely. You don't need the air conditioner either. If you don't the mighty Jon might call you a panzy.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The frame turned out to be fine. Nice to see you took the time to research my posts.

Jon> Wow Mit, up until that post I just thought you were
Jon> an idiot. But now, its confirmed.

That was witty. In 10 years on the internet, I have never heard that expression used before.

Everyone, if you ever want to make your car more user friendly, make sure to get approval from Jon. He is the be all end all of appropriate usage of a Viper even though he sold his and thinks his Dad's Viper makes him relevant.
Make sure you throw away your radio and remove the carpet entirely. You don't need the air conditioner either. If you don't the mighty Jon might call you a panzy.

wow mit, and your smack tactics, ground breaking, earth shattering, trend setting... oh no.. thats right.. lame...

lol w/e dude... I bought both those Vipers in my sig, have driven them both substatially, and am more then glad dorks like you are not part of the development team at dodge.

Have a great weekend ya pole.

Jon

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon> I bought both those Vipers in my sig, have driven them
Jon> both substatially, and am more then glad dorks like you
Jon> are not part of the development team at dodge.

Speaking of lame smack tactics especially from a guy who sold his Viper.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it possible that mit is ultra88 AE? Are AEs allowed on this forum, for a minute I thought I was in the Alley.

ultra, go for it if you want to add the sound deadner. I really doubt however that a Critical to Success factor of a Viper was "cheap ass carpet" which results in unacceptable sound. Evidently you are not quite familiar with the heritage of a Viper. Good forbid you bought a Gen I without AC or a door handle. What a cheap ass design that was huh?

I did learn one thing, the word "panzy" can certainly hit a serious nerve on some people. And what makes this even more laughable is the guy called "panzy" is quiet while his AE is raising hell.

Anyhow, let us know if you think your effort is worth it.

OP
OP
U

ultra88

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Panzy? come to new mexico you smart ass and i will show you some panzy....
Its wanna be ricky roadracers like you that ruin it for everybody with their "im so smart i own a viper crap" Ask a simple question or make a coment and some pinhead like you has to come back with a smart ass answer....your mama probly bought it for you anyway....****.

OP
OP
U

ultra88

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will,and yes he did strike a nerve with me,something i would more than love to settle face to face with him.
I love the car, im not knocking it, but there isnt a car built today that couldnt stand some improvement here and there.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will,and yes he did strike a nerve with me,something i would more than love to settle face to face with him.
I love the car, im not knocking it, but there isnt a car built today that couldnt stand some improvement here and there.

haahah... bada$$es abound in here...

oooh how I love the "face to face" stuff... And the Mom bought my viper joke... :rolleyes: You two bad boys enjoy rolling around together with your carpet and sound deadner. Maybe next, one of you can start a post about cruise control, cup holders, softer shocks, more luggage room, back seats, and curb feelers.

You both have graduated to Mocho Panzys now, congrats.. :2tu:

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should take out the V10's and put in a Geo 3 cylinder engine, along with more catalytic converters, more restrictive mufflers, thicker glass, and an all steel body.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think we should take out the V10's and put in a Geo 3 cylinder engine, along with more catalytic converters, more restrictive mufflers, thicker glass, and an all steel body.

That would give the vette crowd more of a chance to compete with us. :rolleyes:

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon> You both have graduated to Mocho Panzys now, congrats..

Jon, you are an as$hole. I did not make any threats or make the your mom joke. I thought you and your minions were out of line for ripping on someone for posting a reasonable question. It's a slippery slope if people feel persecuted for discussing anything about modifying their cars that does not directly make it go faster, corner better or stop faster. I haven't seen you rip on Snake Hydes interiors, HID's or any MGW products. They are all in the same realm as sound deadener. They add weight and do not help performance. 10 to 25 lbs on a 3400lb car is insignificant for most people on this board.

It seems to me that you view yourself as some kind of enforcer for proper Viper usage. Dude, get over yourself.