Spring Cap install help request

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't push the issue with those spring clamps because I was not able to easily put the holding piece through 2 of the coils. It just would not fit on mine. The coils were too close together. I am sure if I forced it in there no issues but I didn't. I know how to use a spring compressing machine, and there is one available for me to use at the rate of 4 dollars per hour. It is the fact that I have to get most of my tool together and my jack since the car is so low, pack it all up in the Viper and head to the hobby shop. No biggie though, will do it another time.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't push the issue with those spring clamps because I was not able to easily put the holding piece through 2 of the coils. It just would not fit on mine. The coils were too close together. I am sure if I forced it in there no issues but I didn't. I know how to use a spring compressing machine, and there is one available for me to use at the rate of 4 dollars per hour. It is the fact that I have to get most of my tool together and my jack since the car is so low, pack it all up in the Viper and head to the hobby shop. No biggie though, will do it another time.

Ditto! These may have fit the stock coil springs, but they sure as hell will NOT fit my eibachs. You can slam then in, but harder then hell to get back out. I gave up, and am taking them to a local shop AGAIN to have them do it.

Also posted this on my thread..... But where in the F is the adjustment???? I have looked all over!!! Any pics???

-Tim

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To adjust our have to remove spring cap, remove spring. Compress the shock fully and turn left or right. You will feel clicks. Should be 4 positions. Farthest left is the softest, farthest right is stiffness. Recommended setting was 2. I have yet to put my caps on, preparing for my move so will only do it if I have time.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To adjust our have to remove spring cap, remove spring. Compress the shock fully and turn left or right. You will feel clicks. Should be 4 positions. Farthest left is the softest, farthest right is stiffness. Recommended setting was 2. I have yet to put my caps on, preparing for my move so will only do it if I have time.

Best advice thus far, THANKS!!

Also I see your in VA Beach, you moving from there?? Are you Military?? I was just there about a month ago, my cousin is Navy. Amazing city!!!

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good thing to do on these forums is to post up when you will be local in another region. I have met with many folks who just pop in for a visit. Usually go to dinner and shoot the breeze. To answer your questions I am in the Navy, and I am originally from Virginia Beach. I am moving on the 30th to Rhode Island to teach SWOS.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good thing to do on these forums is to post up when you will be local in another region. I have met with many folks who just pop in for a visit. Usually go to dinner and shoot the breeze. To answer your questions I am in the Navy, and I am originally from Virginia Beach. I am moving on the 30th to Rhode Island to teach SWOS.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, and will do. Heading to Florida later in the year.

Anyways pretty cool doing the Navy thing, I know my cuz loves it! Also best of luck with your move, hope everything goes smooth!

Can't thank you enough for the help bro!

-Tim

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a big move so I ran out of time for this project. I have no time to run the car up to the hobby shop which I need to to use their spring compressor.

Bummer, moving is such a pita. :crazy2:

I cannot amend my earlier post and I do have a few things to add. The mentioned spring compressors will work adequately to get the lowering caps in but are a pain when completely removing the springs. The clamps will drag on the shock body preventing the springs to slide off so the compressors will have to be removed from the springs to allow them to slide off the shock. This was very tedious and I wish I had went ahead and used the spring compressor pictured below. Using an impact wrench or air ratchet will speed things up.

You must be registered for see images attach

There were no "clicks" adjusting my shocks. They only turned about 3 half turns (180s). I set the back shocks to 1 and 1/8 half turns and the fronts to 1 and 3/4 half turns as others had done.

Good luck when you get the time to do this. My father was prior AF and I recall how nice it was to have a resource like the hobby shop, lifts and able bodies to help, always a good thing!

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing this soon. Do they have to be compressed prior to removing them?

If you do not have a factory service manual yet I HIGHLY recommend you get yourself one. It will answer your questions, discuss torquing the bolts under ballast load and most importantly the torque specs. But no, nothing special to remove the shock assembly form the car.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the one I used to remove the springs, from Harbor Freight. I had to disassemble it at the hinge pin to get it on and had to do a little grinding on it but after that, it worked well. No clicks on my shocks either. Adjusted to 1 1/4 all around, later went to 1 in the back.

Bummer, moving is such a pita. :crazy2:

I cannot amend my earlier post and I do have a few things to add. The mentioned spring compressors will work adequately to get the lowering caps in but are a pain when completely removing the springs. The clamps will drag on the shock body preventing the springs to slide off so the compressors will have to be removed from the springs to allow them to slide off the shock. This was very tedious and I wish I had went ahead and used the spring compressor pictured below. Using an impact wrench or air ratchet will speed things up.

You must be registered for see images attach

There were no "clicks" adjusting my shocks. They only turned about 3 half turns (180s). I set the back shocks to 1 and 1/8 half turns and the fronts to 1 and 3/4 half turns as others had done.

Good luck when you get the time to do this. My father was prior AF and I recall how nice it was to have a resource like the hobby shop, lifts and able bodies to help, always a good thing!

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed some lowering caps on my GTS (thanks KNG SNKE!). Took the springs / shock assembly off the car and then compressed the springs. Not difficult to do, but it was time consuming. Needed to unbolt the front sway bar...

It seems that it only dropped the car by 1/2'' so far... hopefully it will settle a little more. A lot of work for less than an inch. I would love to do the lowering springs also, but not sure that will work with my driveway apron. It did take away the 4x4 stance - especially in the rear.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you do do the lowering springs, it will probably ride like a bucking bronco from what i have run in to- just sayin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang