SRT-10 Stereo

CaboViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a stereo expert so would someone explain to me the stereo system in the SRT-10. Dodge states it's a 310 watt 5 speaker system but when I look around I see possibly 8 speakers. 2 on the door panels, 2 between the seats which are probably bass and there appears to be 2 small speakers in back of the head rests on top and 2 small speakers on the topside of the dash in the corners?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are seven speakers. If you look closely at the two grills in the center console, you will see that the uppermost grill covers an air return for the subwoofer (the lower grill). It is not a speaker.

It is kinda goofy that the window sticker says five, so maybe they aren't considering the tweeters behind the headrests as speakers. Of course, that would be a first, as manufacturers generally want to count everything they possibly can. It's just too bad it wasn't the 500 watts that the initial reviews said it had. Still sounds great up to about 100 mph with the top down!

Chris

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a good system, much better than gen1 & 2 IMO

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not better than mine..Ask The vipewizard on how a custom system should look like.I'm pushing 1,000 watts per channel..You heard correct. Alpine throughout with Focal speakers.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I mean the system that comes with each car, I guess anyone can modify to make it better!

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
black, why in the hell you would like to push 1000w per channel? (i assume rms power).

i would say that a 3 channel (2x500 rms to the voices and 1x1200 rms to the sub) is more than plenty... with the above config i hit 152 db on the dashboard.

just curious

alex
02 gts
few other cars

ps. the "500 watt" stereo in the srt is prolly cumulative musical power. in reality it is most likely 3x50 rms.. :laugh:

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow. not bad powerwise for factory stereo...

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, (not that I care that much about a stereo in a Viper) I thought that the system wasn't that great. The bass is lose and kind of splatters with a bit of distortion. I like the stereo in my Gen II better. Could I have a bad unit? Anyone????

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No comparison between the stereo in my Gen I and the SRT. The SRT sounds much better, it actually has bass (lots of it), and does not have toms of distorion when you turn it up a notch. I thought the Gen I and Gen II were very similar except for speaker placement and addition of CD. My comparison is CD to CD and the SRT wins hands down. I do wish it had automatic volume control as I am always turning it down when I come to a stop, and a display that you could see in daylight.