SRT Coupe, GT-R, 997TT or Aston Vantage

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SCSViper,

Modded M6 to Viper is an interesting switch. M6's with exhaust sound unreal. Like an acutal F1 car! And they're refined. Your switch seems like it would remind me of my NSX Viper GTS dilemma. I'd miss the power of the GTS bu when I only had the GTS I'd miss the refinement of the NSX. The M6 sort of has both - albeit not any where near the level of torque as the SRT.

I actually had the Dinan Stroked engine in my M6 (2008) which was ~620 bhp and ~480 ftlbs of torque. It did sound great (Dinan exhaust) and was refined, but I wanted something more raw/racecar like. It was still a pretty heavy car ~4000 lbs. The two drive totally different and I LOVE the look of my ACR.

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I drove an 08 Venom red coupe over the weekend. I just couldn't get pass the color. I'm thinking either Red or Blue on the SRT10 for me. I forgot to ask how tire life is. I got used to NSX rears wearing out within 15k. How do SRT's do - also when lowered?

I also drove an Aston Vantage. Sweet car, great ride, sound, build quality. Then I got to wondering... Is it just me or does the Viper for some reason not wear a suit well. I mean it is easy to imagine getting out of a Vantage or 911 Turbo in a suit. But for some reason not so much the Viper or GTR. Is this our sub conscious telling us that these are Dodge and Nissan? Or are they not tidy and chiseled enough?

Anyhow, I still have not definitively determined what I'll get. I almost feel like the fact that I've owned a GTS, 911, M Coupe, NSX and so many others has made it even more difficult to decide what I want. I'm sure many of you that have had a broad range of cars over the years struggled with the same dilemma.

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get A Viper now, drive it, enjoy it, then sell it. Then buy something else.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
where TO BEGIN . not only does it look the part but at only 9600 srt10s made inthe world from 03 to 2010. its much more rare than the 12k a year gtr. already over 30k in the world since just 2009. ...

Yo....... Mr. Twister, I have seen you quote GT-R production numbers in other threads and never felt compelled to jump in, but when Evoking is making a decision partially based on our feedback I wanted to provide accurate GT-R sales numbers. I cant comment on worldwide production but North American GT-R sales numbers on a monthly basis for 2011 are below. All excellent options, just depends on your personality. Happy Test Driving! :D

112 - August 2011
56- July 2011

99- June 2011
132- May 2011
258- April 2011
278- March 2011
38- February 2011
22- January 2011

995- Sold to date in 2011

CDNViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I test drove a GTR today for the first time. What a fun Car. I wouldn't trade my Viper for it but................ I would add it to the collection.

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[QUOTE=Then I got to wondering... Is it just me or does the Viper for some reason not wear a suit well. I mean it is easy to imagine getting out of a Vantage or 911 Turbo in a suit.

No problem.... jacket and tie in trunk with laptop, hmmm, sunny out....top down, drive to Alcatel Lucent for testing with engineers. Sign-in at desk, dive in bathroom for suit assembly, meet engineer and give ride to test building. Needless to say the car came up in conversation through the course of the day. Testing over..... building empties out, next scene 5 engineers standing around my black SRT drooling:D

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I'm ruling out the Vantage. I drove an 07 and the steering was actually too heavy. I typically like heavy steering as I loved one of my 93 NSX's which didn't have power steering; as well as my Elise which had none. But for some reason the 07 Vantage felt like the car weighed 4500lbs. And to be a GT the ride was too harsh. It wasn't that it bounced around but over expansion joints it jolted the car - not in keeping with the character at all. Plus it wasn't very strong which we all know. The 11' Vantage I drove was much better but at $120k out of budget.

Drove a 997TT yesterday and was definitely a beast. Yet refined. However, there definitely still was lag. Owners tell me with mods you can almost get rid of all lag. I have always prefered N/A cars so I also plan to look at 997S and amy consider stretching up to GT3. Viper still represents best bang for the buck. I need to find one lowered on coil-overs to see how it rides and looks.

The 3 mods I would do to any car will be wheels, coil-overs and exhaust. Has anyone done all three to their SRT-10?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I'm ruling out the Vantage. I drove an 07 and the steering was actually too heavy. I typically like heavy steering as I loved one of my 93 NSX's which didn't have power steering; as well as my Elise which had none. But for some reason the 07 Vantage felt like the car weighed 4500lbs. And to be a GT the ride was too harsh. It wasn't that it bounced around but over expansion joints it jolted the car - not in keeping with the character at all. Plus it wasn't very strong which we all know. The 11' Vantage I drove was much better but at $120k out of budget.

Drove a 997TT yesterday and was definitely a beast. Yet refined. However, there definitely still was lag. Owners tell me with mods you can almost get rid of all lag. I have always prefered N/A cars so I also plan to look at 997S and amy consider stretching up to GT3. Viper still represents best bang for the buck. I need to find one lowered on coil-overs to see how it rides and looks.

The 3 mods I would do to any car will be wheels, coil-overs and exhaust. Has anyone done all three to their SRT-10?

Go with a 997.5 with the PDK!

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove a GTR today for the first time. What a fun Car. I wouldn't trade my Viper for it but................ I would add it to the collection.

Was there any Turbo lag? I drove a friend's '07 911 TT automatic and it felt a bit sluggish compared to my '04 Viper. Once to turbo spooled up, its was almost scary!

I love both technology and raw muscle. I would love to also have a GT-R. The Porsche was an incredible car to drive- smooth ride, yet great handling. But in the LA area they are about as common as an Accord.

To answer the original question: Get the Viper. It's inexpensive, fast, stylish, and American made. You can do what I did, buy a Gen 3 and then have a custom leather interior installed. Now my Viper feels and smells like an Aston Martin inside, all for less than a used Z06.

~Jay

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will answer your question.Get a 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S with the PDK.The car is insane fast and their is no lag at all with launch control .The S goes to full boost and you just let your foot off the brake and hold on.No shifting is required/PDK nails each gear so hard a person could never shift like it.Or you can just turn all the stuff off and ride around like you are in a Benz.Really,Really Nice car and car and Porsche people know the Turbo S.

2011 Porsche 911 TS Couple Black Areo Package
2010 Ford Raptor 6.2
2008 Viper SRT Couple Sold
2009 Corvette ZR1 Sold
2006 Corvette Z06 Sold
1997 Viper GTS Sold
1996 Viper RT10 Sold

Most Important Future Gen 5 Viper Owner.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was there any Turbo lag? I drove a friend's '07 911 TT automatic and it felt a bit sluggish compared to my '04 Viper. Once to turbo spooled up, its was almost scary!

I love both technology and raw muscle. I would love to also have a GT-R. The Porsche was an incredible car to drive- smooth ride, yet great handling. But in the LA area they are about as common as an Accord.

To answer the original question: Get the Viper. It's inexpensive, fast, stylish, and American made. You can do what I did, buy a Gen 3 and then have a custom leather interior installed. Now my Viper feels and smells like an Aston Martin inside, all for less than a used Z06.

~Jay

Wasn't your interior over 10K? How did you get a Viper and a 10k interior for less than a used Z06? You can pick up clean, low mileage C6Z06s for 40-50k, and I can't imagine picking up a similar Viper for 10k less.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are worried about what you will look like getting out of you car wearing a suit (who wears a suit anymore anyway. I'm surrounded by multi-millionaires and some billionaires out here and no one wears a suit) the viper, especially the ACR is not for you. it's tough to not look like a dick getting out of the ACR in jeans let alone a suit! :D

I love my acr, daily drive it in fact, but i could care less what I look like getting out of it or what people think of me when I drive it. It sounds like the Porsche is for you.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of GT-R Tuners that have shop GT-R's and don't track them because they are so expensive to maintain. Definitely the most expensive to get it track worthy (meaning driving hard without overheating something) and then keep it running.

IMO the last sentence in your first paragraph would eliminate the GT-R, 996 and 997 TT. Probably the Aston too and it's just plain slow!

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't your interior over 10K? How did you get a Viper and a 10k interior for less than a used Z06? You can pick up clean, low mileage C6Z06s for 40-50k, and I can't imagine picking up a similar Viper for 10k less.

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit, I paid $42.5k for the viper plus about 10k for the Interior. I didn't realize that Z06s were down that low now. It's a great time to be alive isn't it!

~Jay

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you planning to pay cash or make payments? I just traded my 997 turbo in on a 2008 Ferrari Scuderia. This car is as close to perfection as I have ever driven. It stunning in every way. You may be surprised what you can afford through Ferrari financial. I absolutely love this car! That being said, I have a Viper and it will be the only car I will never sell.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danno. Dont matter how many are sold.. Ive read of manydealerships that had 2 or 3 that they just couldntsell andgot ridof any way they could.

Nissan built 12k a year p! Ain and simple. Meaning there are a minimum of 30k r35 gtrs in the world already. Vipers are 30k from 92-2010. Ive seen more gtrs onthe road in the past 3 years than i havevipers in mylife. To some that means nothing. To me its what makes the viper special and the gtr just nissans high end sports car

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again do a google search on gtr production number 1000. Everything sats that tey build 1000 r35 gtrs a month.

http://www.gtrnissanskyline.com/r35.html

Try 2000 vipers a year. Try 9900 srt10s in the world. Tbeirs a reason you see vipers about as often as lambos

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go crazy and get a Tata Nano. You'd be the only guy in the US driving (pedaling?) one.

You say you're looking for a toy...have you looked at a Noble?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming to a Viper board, we all know what the answer to this question is going to be. Regarding the other cars, it all depends on what you are looking for. I have driven them all and came to the following conclusions:

Dodge Viper
Raw power and edge of your seat fun. Need to be aware all the time when driving.

Nissan GTR
Smooth daily driver potential with a bit of kick when you need. Body design is very basic and the car does not feel like the speeds it says it can do. Reminds me of my old Mercedes.

Porsche 997TT
Smooth daily driver potential with a sports car look and rich heritage. Car is beautiful to look at and the car is a blast to drive. Only problem is that it does not feel like the speeds you are going here as well. If this is a choice go with the PDK 997TT S and you will be very happy.

Aston Martin Vantage
Great daily driver that you will not see around very often. The car has the hands down best stock exhaust note out of the four cars above but is the slowest out of the four although it really is not too slow. Sub 5 second 0-60. Great car for the money in the used market.

Good luck with your choice!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming to a Viper board, we all know what the answer to this question is going to be. Regarding the other cars, it all depends on what you are looking for. I have driven them all and came to the following conclusions:

Dodge Viper
Raw power and edge of your seat fun. Need to be aware all the time when driving.

Nissan GTR
Smooth daily driver potential with a bit of kick when you need. Body design is very basic and the car does not feel like the speeds it says it can do. Reminds me of my old Mercedes.

Porsche 997TT
Smooth daily driver potential with a sports car look and rich heritage. Car is beautiful to look at and the car is a blast to drive. Only problem is that it does not feel like the speeds you are going here as well. If this is a choice go with the PDK 997TT S and you will be very happy.

Aston Martin Vantage
Great daily driver that you will not see around very often. The car has the hands down best stock exhaust note out of the four cars above but is the slowest out of the four although it really is not too slow. Sub 5 second 0-60. Great car for the money in the used market.

Good luck with your choice!
Good Analysis DodgeViper01! Though I don't know much about the Aston Martin.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are worried about what you will look like getting out of you car wearing a suit (who wears a suit anymore anyway. I'm surrounded by multi-millionaires and some billionaires out here and no one wears a suit) the viper, especially the ACR is not for you. it's tough to not look like a dick getting out of the ACR in jeans let alone a suit! :D

I love my acr, daily drive it in fact, but i could care less what I look like getting out of it or what people think of me when I drive it. It sounds like the Porsche is for you.

LMAO... my thoughts exactly. Except the part about the millionaires an billionaires ..:)

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the M6 has crept up on the radar. Sound with exhaust is insane and dropped on wheels it looks good. Can't seem to fully pry myself away from the Viper. But at least I know that when I finally choose I did an exhaustive search! The M6 gets worse mpg than Viper however!

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at an M6 when I bought my Viper. In fact, I looked at most of the cars on your list plus a few others like the Z06 and R8. Can you believe you can find R8's in the 80's now? Back on topic. If you can afford two cars ( and you should be able to if you're buying a Viper) then get a Viper for the pure driving experience, and a daily driver if you want a soft cushy ride. You're trying to mash all the best traits of cars you like to look at into one vehicle. It isn't going to happen. In other words, you're doing it wrong =P My 2c.

Last edited:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at an M6 when I bought my Viper. In fact, I looked at most of the cars on your list plus a few others like the Z06 and R8. Can you believe you can find R8's in the 80's now? Back on topic. If you can afford two cars ( and you should be able to if you're buying a Viper) then get a Viper for the pure driving experience, and a daily driver if you want a soft cushy ride. You're trying to mash all the best traits of cars you like to look at into one vehicle. It isn't going to happen. In other words, you're doing in wrong =P My 2c.

Very difficult to find a good R8 in the $80s. If you even find one it will have high miles and probably a history. You still need a good $100K mininum to get a good R8 and that is still a 2008 model, 2009 if your lucky.

M6 is a good buy right now. Lots of power and very reliable. If you are attracted to the looks, you can have a good buy for around 1/2 of MSRP now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang