SRT Engineering Chat HERE on March 3rd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am having some questions on the Gen 4 Vipers and how to diagnose some issues I have had, is there an e-mail I send my questions too?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
2002 GTS- Final Edition
2006 300 SRT8

Who did the paint on the ACR-X?

Cheating on this one, but cut me a break... What technical detail do I need to know as it relates to the OEM shocks and struts on my 2006 300 SRT8 to preserve ride/handling? Have 135k on the car. Shocks and struts needed replacing. Local shop quoted me $1,100.00 for job versus dealership at $1,900.00. Once they got the car in the air and taken apart I got a call,"Oops, the ones we quoted won't work. You need the KS? struts and Sachs shocks." $1,850.00 total by the time I was done. They state these are OEM equivalent...

The ACR-X was painted by Prefix.

To maintain the same level of ride/handling we strongly recommend you use OEM replacements, not equivalents.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I own a 2004 and noticed that my tranny is difficult to shift into 1, 2 and reverse when it is cold 30-40 degree days. Once it warms up all is fine. The tranny oil has been changed a year ago (3000 miles).
Thanks in advance.

Vipers built between 1998 and 2006 had 75W-85 Castrol fluid for trans factory fill. This was rather thick stuff and cold shifting can be a little heavy. Since 2008, we have used ATF+4 fluid in the TR6060 and cold shifting is much better. If improving the cold shifting is important to you, try the ATF+4 in your T56. You will probably notice an increase in neutral rattle with the change to ATF, but that is the only tradeoff. Otherwise ATF+4 is a very good fluid.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I am studying a plan to make all my gauges, odometer and tachometer digital. Plx gauges seems the way to go with the conversion. My question is how linked is the Gen 3 computer to these gauges? I wouldn't think the oil pressure and water temp are but, not sure. Any insight into this would be greatly appreicated.

Sorry, all the gauge information comes over the communication bus to the cluster. Most info comes from the engine controller but some comes through the body controller.

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, first time on SRT Chat and I thougth it would be a live chat in the chat room, but nobody there but me. Appears to strictly be Q&A on the forum...

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2005 SRT-10 and it veers off to sides mildly when on mildly uneven roads. Most will say it's due to the wide front tires. I seem to think it's because the front wheels were designed a tad to forward. I guess I am suggesting if the front suspension and therefore wheels were pushed a bit closer to the rear that they would carry more weight like say of the motor then it wouldn't swerve so easily. Dodge used to rely on the cab forward idea was Gen 3 Viper designed on the cab forward idea?

The viper cab is technically forward of the rear wheels, but the concept you are referring to was used mostly with sedans and in no way part of the viper design.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Have an 09 Coupe with 20,000 miles.

1. Gearshift very difficult to get into 1st 50% of the time. Rest of the time it is like butter. Rest of the gears are also smooth as can be.

If it is sometimes difficult to shift into 1st (or reverse) with all other shifting OK, I would take a look at your clutch fluid, cuz maybe the clutch is not quite releasing quick enough... maybe due to a little air or moisture in the fluid. In other normal driving, the trans synchros have enough capacity to 'cover for' a dragging clutch, so that's probably why you don't see it there. At your miles, I would do a good clutch fluid bleed with DOT 4 fluid and see if that helps.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I had my lower intake manifold ported by Arrow Racing Engines on my 09 ACR; they claim 20-25HP power increase; I am running Belanger headers,HF Cats with stock muffler&Mopar PCM and the Arrow close-out panel....I have not had an opportunity to Dyno the car yet; has this extra performance envelope been explored on the MY 2010 ACR-X????

Art - Arrow has not claimed 20 -25 HP with the ported intake, I think those numbers came for someone with an optimistic chassis dyno! More realistic would be 10 - 12 HP. We have looked at a similar package for the ACR-X but felt that 640 HP was a good place to stop for now. The ACR-X package is a good compromise between cost, durability and performance. Your package should be around 650 HP.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
3. At Palm Beach we discussed the fact that you had added some deflectors or ducts in the front fascia area. I do not remember what they were for. What were they for? Did you keep them in? If so, would they be beneficial for a Gen III or IV Viper that is tracked occasionally? If so, will they be available through Mopar or otherwise? If so, when?

The lower fascia deflectors effectively reduce drag, and can be installed on Gen III cars. These parts are available through Mopar currently, just make sure you install the center air dam and side deflectors as a set for proper performance.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Can the Racetech (?) seat in the ACR-X be fitted to the street SRT-10 easily? If so what are the part numbers?

It will be some work to install it correctly as it has attachments on the back of the seat that attached to brackets that are welded on to the frame rails. You would also have to cut away the carpeting behind the seat.

Lastly, the upper part of the seat will interfere with the door trim so some modification will probably be necessary.

Tom Francis at Viper Race Headquarters can order one for you. He can be reached at 888-960-3333. P5154462.

Racetech does make a seat that do not have the back brackets and only a slight modification to the seat is required. We used this on the Carbon Car.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Another quick question - I noticed on the ACRX you included two sets of cannards on the front end while standard ACRs get a single set. From the looks of it both have the same rear wing. Does that mean the ACR could benefit from the additional downforce? I also notice the ACR rafle car which is a production street legal ACR will have two sets of cannards.

Is the ACR faster with a bit more front-end downforce?

The ACR is balanced with a bias toward more rear downforce. This gives the car a tendency for slight aero-induced understeer and makes the high speed handling manageble for the weekend track rat. The upper dive planes on the ACRX give the pro driver a greater ability to adjust for a neutral balance. This can be a difficult set up for less experienced drivers. With the rear wing adjustment, the ACRX driver can dial in more rear wing for greater overall downforce at the same rear bias as the standard ACR.

To make a long story short, more downforce is almost always better, but if you have too much on the front the car is much more tricky to drive.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay tuned!!

if you go i'd like to piggy back with you. i'll bring a crew chief and a ecu tuner with me, split track costs

i have an '06 coupe (running factory ACR aero). Car is twin turboed, running a holinger sequential. I think the car could turn a decent ring time

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Would like to again see if it is possible to have the 2008+ Viper LSD issued as a part supercedence for the 2003-2006 LSD via a TSB.

We are checking into this. We can't say for sure that we will be able to make it happen... but understand where you are coming from. We can get you an updated report in a future chat...

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Grailkeeper says, maybe you should just keep the car!!!

I have a 98 GTS and every time I go to the garage and see the car I become very aroused and go back in the house, grab my wife and make love to her. She is very frustrated and wants me to get rid of the car because she cant get anything done all summer. Have you got a cure for this? PS. I had a Corvette for years and this NEVER happened. :headbang::2tu::lmao::lmao::lmao:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I do have a question.
In light of the recent Toyota recalls, regarding the electronic throttle controls;
Is there a fix for the inherent "spongeyness" of the e-throttle (a first in a Viper)in my Gen IV? It's almost like driving my carburated '66 Shelby. The response in my GenIII was so much more direct.
I understand there is an Mopar PCM upgrade for off road use that fixes the problem and adds power, but mine is mostly driven on the streets.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACRX and the TDS seem to be nearly the same car. Is there an advantage to making both in the same model year? What are the major differences?

Bruce

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Can the Eletronic throttle control from a Gen IV be grafted into a Gen III car. If so, what, from a physical standpiont would be necessary. I have a Motec ECU in the car that would control the throttle.

thanks in advance

frank

This would be a huge undertaking becuase it will require both electronic and mechanical updates only available from the Gen IV. At this point, you'd better off buying a Gen IV instead.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I replaced the dash and center console pieces with the Mopar carbon fiber looking replacements on my 08 Viper and then put them on my my 09 ACR with no issues. When i added the original one back on I used the 09 console pieces and they did not fit around the power window switches. Why does the Mopar Carbon fiber work on both cars and the stock consoles do not swap from year to year?

Bruce

The 2009 bezel lowers the window lift switches. The cradle that holds the switches to the bottom of the bezel is also new to line-up the switch height. If the 2009 bezel and switch cradle are used together then it should fit into the 2008. Wiring is the same and you have clearence below the switches.

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going from stock ZP tires on 2006 SRT/10 to PS2's, what should new setup be to adjust for the softer tire? It was suggested to use the 2008 setup adjusting Front Caster from 6.00 to 7.00, camber from -0.25 to -1.40, and Rear camber from -0.65 to -1.15 (all else remaining the same). Question is whether with the stock 2006 bushings and hardware can these changes be made, and if not, what can be achieved on the 2006 stock suspension?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
A few SRT8 questions if you do not mind.

1.Why the hiatus for the SRT8 Jeep for the 2011 model year? It seems like the car is really starting to catch on. Why stop it for a year?

2. The MyGiG, even with the reprogramming, acts up a bit with respect to the phone voice recognition software. Is there another update coming?

3. Some of us have experienced delamination on the inside of the front tires of our Jeep SRT8s. Mark Leslie at University Dodge has one if you want to see it. It is from my Jeep. it occurred around 17000 miles without me knowing it. I discovered it while it was parked. About one and one quarter inch of the outside of the right edge of the tire came off down to the cord. Scary stuff. I heard that this was due to a bad batch of tires. The alignment was a very small amount off. Very small - no symptoms such as pulling, etc.

4. Any truth that an SRT8 Nitro will soon exist? The 5.7 Hemi in that vehicle would be a nice piece.

1) Can't comment on future products.

2) You may want to try to re-train the voice recognition feature since you had it reprogrammed.

3) We recommend taking the tire to a Goodyear retail facility and have them review it, since the tires have an independent warranty.

4) We can't comment on future products.....

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dick W. is an incredible asset to the SRT team. My only question is what will it take for him to get a well deserved raise;)

:usa:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Last week I drove my '09 ACR at ~60 mph across a 2.5 mile bridge in a steady 55-60 kt crosswind. I was fighting crosswind Yaw that forced me to dial in steering to compensate. YIKES! It reminded me of pilot training. [ I would have been more stable at 120 mph, but there was traffic!! ]

Will the new 2010 ACR slotted wing end plates help to minimize this crosswind Yaw?

Do I have to buy a complete 2010, or can I just install the new end plates ?!

Sorry Jon. The 2010 vented end plates are designed to pull air out of the wing corner not let crosswind pass through.

You should be able to buy the 2010 end plates as separate parts but they will not be available for a while. The end plates were designed to work with the new wing rear edge. We woulnd't recommend just doing the end plates.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
1. I know that you all eat pizza. Have you recently started to develop a taste for more exotic italian food? If so, was that taste acquired locally or in Italy?

2. Will the pistons being used in the ACRX be available through Mopar or the piston manufacturer itself for use in Gen IV regular street Vipers and/or normal ACRs? If so, what do you think the time frame on availability will be? If not, which after market forged pistons do you think are the most robust/best value for both the Gen III and Gen IV motors?

6. If you leave your rain baffle off the hood, what is the worst than can happen?

7. Is there going to be any more SRT testing in South Florida in the near future? ( One year or less.)

Hi Bob, local Pizza is more our style than exotic food but next time we are in town you can take us to an Outback!

2 - The ACR-X forged pistons were developed with the help of a couple of our suppliers, Mahle and Arrow. We had a difficult time finding any forged piston that worked as well at the stock cast piston but the new ACR-X design came very close (the cast piston is more compliant in the bore and seals better as a result but is not nearly as durable). Arrow has some pistons in stock so they may be able to help. We did run several other forged pistons and none came close to where we ended up with the ACR-X Mahle piston (including the earlier Mahle forgings).

6 - If the water deflector is taken off (Gen IV) chances are about 75% that you will limp out for an airflow rationality fault. The MAF sensors are very sensitive to how the air enters the clean air ducts and anything that changes it will cause issues (including different air cleaner elements). On a Gen III this of course is not an issue.

7 - We wanted to come back to Moroso but the track was booked and we ended up in Texas instead. We may come back if there is a need to test and it's too cold around here (although Florida and Texas wasn't very warm either!).

Last edited:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I own a 2004 and noticed that my tranny is difficult to shift into 1, 2 and reverse when it is cold 30-40 degree days. Once it warms up all is fine. The tranny oil has been changed a year ago (3000 miles). The car is not driven hard often and only sees 2 track events a year - I am a novice racer.Any ideas what the issue might be?

Another unrelated question. Recent I removed my intake to replace with a polished intake. Since I was removing the intake I purchased pretty ARP 12 pt 1/4 20's for to replace the stock bolts. The ARP bolts were made for valve covers attached to aluminum heads so I figured they would be fine. When I tried using the ARP bolts some would not thread into the holes. Also Some would thread a bit but not too far before becoming too tight. Needless to say, I skipped the ARP bolts and install the stock bolts which went back on fine. Is there a reason why aftermarket bolts might not work on the 2004 intake?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, you drive your Viper on 30-40 degree days!?! I hope we are talking about Celcius not Farenheit. All kidding aside, was the fluid changed in response to the high shift effort? Do you know what fluid the trans was filled with? Was there any change in behavior with the fluid change? Has the clutch actuation system ever been inspected? The entire system should be bled (check the service manual procedure) and then the clutch slave cylinder checked for proper travel. To check the transmission function alone, follow this procedure; with the vehicle stationary pull the trans into second gear, once it is fully engaged, push the lever forward into first. This has the effect of lining up the synchros. Try this to see if efforts are at all different with this procedure.

The stock intake to head bolts are 1/4-20x1"bolts. We have seen instances where ARP machined bolts are higher precision than the production rolled thread bolts and often have more thread engagement (higher peaks and deeper valleys in the threads). If you are confident the ARP bolts were not fine threaded or metric, then this may be the cause of the "tightness". Either way, it sounds like you took the best route of using the stock pieces and not risking damaging the threads in the head.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Can't comment on future products.

2) You may want to try to re-train the voice recognition feature since you had it reprogrammed.

3) We recommend taking the tire to a Goodyear retail facility and have them review it, since the tires have an independent warranty.

4) We can't comment on future products.....

Did number 2. It's still occasionally got a mind of its own. For instance, some times ( not frequently) on start up, it does not activate at all for a few minutes. It also sometimes creates a composite name tag. Like "David Work" turned into "David W Home" without me ever puting in the word "home" or the letter "w". Is the Jeep a female vehicle?

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys...first, thank you for your time. A couple questions regarding my 09 Viper:

1) Why does the Mopar controller kill the decel popping? I would love to do that upgrade, but I love my decel popping!

2) I put HF cats on my 09 and received the check engine light. Per the advice of a well known Viper tech, I did some spirited driving and it did go away for several months. While the car was in hibernation for the winter, I started it to loosen things up and the CEL is back!!! Other than getting the Mopar controller, is there anything else that can be done?

BTW, bring back some curves for Gen V and I'll finally trade in one of my Gen II's. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi