SRT Engineering Chat HERE on March 3rd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, Venomiss....I'm here.
Since the intake on my SRT-10 isn't going to get back on by itself (as much as I try to use The Force), I'll ask a fairly non-technical question.....

The current iPod adapter (#82209616AC) works with the RB1 head unit in concert with UConnect. Several dealers have talked me out of the 82209616AC kit, saying I should wait for the "new" one.
That was 10 months ago.
Though I haven't asked those dealers, should I bother?

Along those same lines, why is UConnect not offered as an option on the Viper?
I understand the module adds a little bit of weight (less than a pound), but I think the benefits out-weigh the added weight.
Maybe I'm totally out of line here, but I believe having a hands-free system in a vehicle that passes the 200mph mark would be a good idea.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think that a supercharger like the one on the ZR1 motor could be adopted for the Gen IV motor? I heard that someone has done this. Have you seen or heard about this?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Going from stock ZP tires on 2006 SRT/10 to PS2's, what should new setup be to adjust for the softer tire? It was suggested to use the 2008 setup adjusting Front Caster from 6.00 to 7.00, camber from -0.25 to -1.40, and Rear camber from -0.65 to -1.15 (all else remaining the same). Question is whether with the stock 2006 bushings and hardware can these changes be made, and if not, what can be achieved on the 2006 stock suspension?

There were no changes to bushings, so these alignment settings are achievable. Keep in mind that we also updated the damper tuning and front bar to accomodate the new tire characteristics.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
On behalf of olason and myself, I'd like to inquire about SRT engineering careers.

Does SRT have an internship program? If so, where can resumes be sent?

If not, what is the best career path to get involved with engineering at SRT, and what courses/organizations will be most useful as an SRT engineer? Lastly, what CAD software and simulation packages does Dodge/SRT use?

Olason's original thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/srt-engineering-q-area/633027-srt-internship-question.html

Thanks,
Tom

Tom - For now, Chrysler does not have an intern program but it may come back in the future, stay tuned. For now send your resume in to Chrysler Group Careers at ChryslerCareers.com, we are always looking for great people!

Being a Gearhead is desirable but any vehicle related training helps!

Chrysler uses CATIA and several simulation packages including STAR CD, FIRE, WAVE, and EXA among others.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a few questions about the new 2010 production Stripe widths? I have a 2010 ACR ordered with Delete Black Center Band Two-Tone and want to add Dual Black Painted Stripes (M92) to my car.

1. What is the new width of the strip over the top edge of the rear trunk lid and the space between the two stripes? Will the new stripe be as wide as to touch the vertical stands that hold the rear wing on the car? These stands were normally body color in the past with a 9-inch stripe. Will the stands now be stripe color?

2. What is the width of the stripes on the roof where it meets the upper edge of the windshield? And the space between them at that point?

3. Will the license plate pocket be painted stripe color as shown on the Toxic Orange convertible in the Los Angeles car show?

Thanks very much for the information and help.

VIN 100171

The stripes will be inboard of the wing stanchions. The stanchions will be body color as they were in 08 and 09.

Yes the stripes will be painted into the license plate pocket. First time since the original blue and white GTS!

Unfortunately we don't have the dimensions in front of us to answer your other questions.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art - Arrow has not claimed 20 -25 HP with the ported intake, I think those numbers came for someone with an optimistic chassis dyno! More realistic would be 10 - 12 HP. We have looked at a similar package for the ACR-X but felt that 640 HP was a good place to stop for now. The ACR-X package is a good compromise between cost, durability and performance. Your package should be around 650 HP.

I don't know, 650 sounds really, really good......................:2tu:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Okay, Venomiss....I'm here.
Since the intake on my SRT-10 isn't going to get back on by itself (as much as I try to use The Force), I'll ask a fairly non-technical question.....

The current iPod adapter (#82209616AC) works with the RB1 head unit in concert with UConnect. Several dealers have talked me out of the 82209616AC kit, saying I should wait for the "new" one.
That was 10 months ago.
Though I haven't asked those dealers, should I bother?

Along those same lines, why is UConnect not offered as an option on the Viper?
I understand the module adds a little bit of weight (less than a pound), but I think the benefits out-weigh the added weight.
Maybe I'm totally out of line here, but I believe having a hands-free system in a vehicle that passes the 200mph mark would be a good idea.

Ufortunately, the dealers are correct - the Ipod kit is not compatible with the Viper electrical system. As for the UConnect - why would you even think about talking on the phone when you are driving a Viper.:drive:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
zMAX seems to be advertizing like crazy. When Caroll Shelby stands behind it you almost think there might be something to it. Would you recommend for or against putting zMAX into a Viper engine? Why or why not?

We tend to stick with the major manufacturers of lubricants; their testing is usually much more thorough than a smaller company because testing is expensive! We have never gone wrong with brands like Mobil, Shell, Pennzoil and so on. We have on occasion tested the latest greatest oils and found them to be less than advertised! Caroll is getting old these days, he probably needed the money.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...first, thank you for your time. A couple questions regarding my 09 Viper:

1) Why does the Mopar controller kill the decel popping? I would love to do that upgrade, but I love my decel popping!

2) I put HF cats on my 09 and received the check engine light. Per the advice of a well known Viper tech, I did some spirited driving and it did go away for several months. While the car was in hibernation for the winter, I started it to loosen things up and the CEL is back!!! Other than getting the Mopar controller, is there anything else that can be done?

BTW, bring back some curves for Gen V and I'll finally trade in one of my Gen II's. :D

Regarding the decel popping the Grailkeeper retired and Dick took it out.

The fault was set once you installed the high flow cats becaust the controller logis is set to operate within the production cat flow range. Even by clearing the fault it will return overtime.

Sorry cannot talk about future programs.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tend to stick with the major manufacturers of lubricants; their testing is usually much more thorough than a smaller company because testing is expensive! We have never gone wrong with brands like Mobil, Shell, Pennzoil and so on. We have on occasion tested the latest greatest oils and found them to be less than advertised! Caroll is getting old these days, he probably needed the money.

Getting old?????!!! He is 87.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Do you think that a supercharger like the one on the ZR1 motor could be adopted for the Gen IV motor? I heard that someone has done this. Have you seen or heard about this?

Could it be adapted? Sure, anything is possible but then you would just be like an overgrown ZR-1! Putting boost on a Gen IV would be very tough for the privateer unless they change the control system out, too many airflow watchdogs. We are not aware of a supercharged Gen IV out there but there probably is somewhere, watch those cast pistons!.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
How do you adjust the left door hinge on a Gen3? The door is starting to drag on the sill and creak/pop

The panel in front of the door is called the 'hinge cover'. The hinge bolts are exposed when this panel is removed along with the gill louvers. Getting the fit right is a tricky process of loosening and tightening these bolts. If you've adjusted a car door before, the exposed bolts make this a little easier than normal but it still will take a few try's to get it right.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it be adapted? Sure, anything is possible but then you would just be like an overgrown ZR-1! Putting boost on a Gen IV would be very tough for the privateer unless they change the control system out, too many airflow watchdogs. We are not aware of a supercharged Gen IV out there but there probably is somewhere, watch those cast pistons!.

Speaking about pistons, I asked above about the availability of the forged psitons on the ACRX. Comment?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just an off-beat question (not sure if it has been asked, or can even
be answered). I, like many here, was more than excited to hear about
the SRT10 Challenger Prototype built for SEMA. And, like many here,
I was heartbroken to learn that it wasn't going into production. My
question - did you guys built that car as serious contender, or was it
strictly podium/show dressing from the start? And for follow up - how
much effort was needed to shoe-horn the V10 into that platform? - ie,
was it a weekend swap for you guys or was there $$$ fabrication involved?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any starting reccommendations for track settings for the Gen 2 Dynamic Suspensions setup?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I was out at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson this weekend and saw you guys testing and tweeking the ACR-X. I don't really have a question, but just wanted to let you know the car looks great and runs like a scalded ape!
I love a car company that has the enthusiasm to build a spec. racer out of a car like the Viper.
Keep up the good work!

Did you stop by to say hello? We had a blast at TMR, great track and good folks! The ACR-X IS wicked fast!!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
There have been several posts recently about paint issues, over spray to be exact on some new Vipers coming off the assembly line. We rarely saw a paint complaint on the older Gens. What happened to the quality control and the final line inspection?

The standards at Conner Assembly Plant and the final line inspection have not changed. We are always striving to maintain a high level of quality.

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your time and attention, Tell Dick W. that the Georgia VCA really enjoyed our pre Christmas dinner with him and the Mrs.
Re: the ACRX, brakes, does it still use the RHT ( rubber hose technology) and the dot 4 fluid ?

Thanks again guys.:drive:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

4. Every great once in awhile the door latch does not operate properly on my Gen III. The cure is to turn the engine on and off. What causes this? It happens so infrequently that I do not mind it but I am curious as to why it happens at all.

5. As one or more of you witnessed ( depending on who is on this chat), one of my headlights sometimes, without warning, turns off. It is not a frequent occurrence. It just happened to happen as I was recently, safely approaching the Winkles test team from behind during an acceleration test near Palm Beach. Both headlights also sometimes show moisture inside. Is this covered by warranty? There seems to be some resistance to replacing the lights. I have the Chrysler Max care extended warranty and the light issue has been there from the beginning. I believe Mark J. may have spoken with one of you about it back in 2006. Please advise.

For item 4 - Do you ever put you Viper in the battery save mode? In battery save mode the car shuts down almost all systems until you turn the key on.

For item 5 - it sounds like you may have an issue with the connection between the ballast and the HID lamp in the headlight to cause the lamp to go out.

There is a service kit that releases a part with Gortex patches that help with the moisture in the lamps. Of course with lamps that large some moisture is always a possibility.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Would like to again see if it is possible to have the 2008+ Viper LSD issued as a part supercedence for the 2003-2006 LSD via a TSB.

The 2003-2006 LSD is a poor piece, if the newer 2008+ part were listed as a factory authorized replacement for the old unit, racers bound to stock pieces like me, would have a real leg up.

More info here:
http://forums.viperclub.org/2712938-post30.html
and here:
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt-eng...-tsb-2003-2006-limited-slip-differential.html

Many thanks for your continued support of a great product.

The 2008+ differential is a direct replacement for the earlier ZB differential. There is no TSB anticipated at this time.

The diff looks identical from the outside.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Any starting reccommendations for track settings for the Gen 2 Dynamic Suspensions setup?

We don't have specifics with us tonight, but general track rules still apply. You want to get the car to respond quicker, so more negative camber and little toe out in front. Leave the rear settings at the production spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456