SRT Lowering Kits

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a lowering kit for Gen 3 Vipers? I do not want Motons, just a simple spring or bushing change that brings the car down 1/2-1" or so. I am not looking to change handling characteristics, more just looks to get the car down on the wheels.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jm

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think JohnB at PartRack has a shock mounting kit that will lower the car WITHOUT changing springs or shocks(i think 1/2")

Yes. Talked to Jon the other day, they are new on his website. About $285
and lowers 1/2 to 3/4 I think, its in mm on his site. I too am thinking about
this, keep your spring rate and travel. His prices on Motons are good also,
can't make my mind, Motons or use that money on some other mod, diff, engine
ect..

Herc :usa:

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think JohnB at PartRack has a shock mounting kit that will lower the car WITHOUT changing springs or shocks(i think 1/2")

Yes. Talked to Jon the other day, they are new on his website. About $285
and lowers 1/2 to 3/4 I think, its in mm on his site. I too am thinking about
this, keep your spring rate and travel. His prices on Motons are good also,
can't make my mind, Motons or use that money on some other mod, diff, engine
ect..

Has ANYONE done this mod yet???? If so, for the love of God, please post the results/satisfaction! Thanks.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I thinks we're all looking at this.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have not done it, think about it. waiting to see if there is anyone out there w/ some feedback. this if it works well has got be the least expensive way to lower a SRT(short of cutting the springs which is a hack mod).

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Aldan coilovers, they drop the ride height by about 3/4 inch. I have driven the stock SRT and don't find it to be all that different in general street performance. I have not taken the car to the track and have not put any pressure on the suspension yet.

I didn't install them, they were already on the car when I got it from woodhouse.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the price of the Aldans under $500? That's about all I'll pay for a 3/4 inch drop. AND will the rear shocks last?

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry I can't give a price or any durability info, the car only has 3200 miles on it, and they were there when I got it. I have had the car on a lift and all the MD/VA guys that were there thought it looked like a first rate install.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the stock ride height, it takes great care to avoid scraping the nose. If you drop the ride height, sure it looks great, but how do you actually drive the car without scraping on every speed bump and driveway you encounter?

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the stock ride height, it takes great care to avoid scraping the nose. If you drop the ride height, sure it looks great, but how do you actually drive the car without scraping on every speed bump and driveway you encounter?

A 1/2 inch drop is not that drastic. You are correct, though, that it would take some extra, extra care to avoid scraping. For me, it'd be worth it.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT does not scrape like the GenII cars. Even with EXTREME care, I still touched a lot. I'm not worried about the drop, I want 'the look', and a lower center of gravity.

OP
OP
V

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is with Dan Cragin now getting some work done to it. I will have him investigate the shock mount kit. Sounds like that is the least intrusive and will get the results I am looking for. If I do proceed I will have Dan post some pictures and feedback on the install. I am most concerned about the ride and handling, will take some time behind the wheel to calibrate that.

If anyone else is moving forward please post your results. I am very interested, but don't mind being the ginnypig :eek:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think a 1/2" drop would be nice, but not enough... You'll want it down another 1/2" or so.. I'd go for a 3/4" to 1" drop..

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think a 1/2" drop would be nice, but not enough... You'll want it down another 1/2" or so.. I'd go for a 3/4" to 1" drop..

Like I used to tell all my girlfriends, "1/2 inch is better than nothing." :2tu:

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, also keep in mind that if you go to larger wheels, the gap may increase slightly due to the really low profile tire (25 series on the 20 inchers.) The wheel gap on my car is insane right now -- can't wait to lower it (needs about a 2 to 2 1/2 inch drop on the rears. Gap is 3.5 inches right now (I think that is what it was). JESUS!

OP
OP
V

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spoke to my viper tech today, he noted that lowering the car can cause the stock dynamic shocks to leak. Does anyone have hard evidence of this problem when lowering the car 1/2"?

I am planning to order the PartRack shock mount kit, pretty straight forward install. I would like to get some verification before moving forward that this change will not kill my shocks. Please send feedback.

I will try to get pictures of the install and will post updates from this change.

jm

OP
OP
V

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spoke to my viper tech today, he noted lowering the car can cause the stock dynamic shocks to leak. Does anyone have hard evidence of this problem when lowering the car 1/2"?

I am planning to order the PartRack shock mount kit on Frid, and from what I understand a pretty straight forward install. I would like to get some verification before moving forward that this change will not kill my shocks. Please send feedback.

I will try to get pictures of the install and will post updates from this change.

jm

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what has been posted here, it only seems to be a problem with the rear shocks bottoming out. I was thinking about doing the same with the 1/2" kit, but only in the front -- to give the car a more raked look ...

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Parts Rack kit should have no effect on your shocks, if you go with shorter
springs then you will decrease your shock travel which could cause problems.
The Parts Rack kit just changes the thickness of the mount and does not
change the travel.

OP
OP
V

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my car with the spring caps installed. Not a great picture, will get some more posted later today.

Dan said the car handles great, really easy install. I am anxious to take it out for a spin, have another surprise under the hood waiting to be unleashed - second picture. I will provide an update once I get some miles on the car.

[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/19876/sort/1/cat/500/page/1[/image]

[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/19882/sort/1/cat/500/page/1[/image]