SRT Performance expectations!

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently bought an 04 SRT (Blk) and was wondering what to expect (rwh/rwt, 1/4 mile, etc..) with these mods:

Headers, 3" exhaust, flyweel, 3.55, already have a K&N kit on it (which I fixed yesterday)!!

As far as headers go, I was looking at the B&B step header, has anyone done any test between that header and the standard B&Bs'.....are they worth the difference?

Thanks for the help, the more I drive this car, the more I love it.....just need to wake it up a little!!

Mike P.

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai SRT10 just had some B&B stepped headers installed. I don't think he's dyno'd yet but B&B advertises 33rwhp/29rwtq. Belanger advertises 50+hp if you get the entire system (header-back). I'd really expect 30-35rwhp/25-35tq to be the norm if the high flow cats and catback are added. I'd need to see some verifiable dyno info from Belanger before I'd really believe the 50+rwhp claim. Maybe I'm just mistaken on it being rear-wheel, maybe they were claiming flywheel, I don't know. Wonder if anybody on this forum did a before and after dyno with the Belanger tri-y (they'd really make it worth the price if it were 50+rwhp).

It would be nice if the header manufacturers all put the expected or dyno-proven rwhp/rwtq claims on their product listings to validate the price differences between their products. Seriously, if it were only 5hp difference and $1000 price difference, I'd opt for the less expensive headers (imo).

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will find several posts regarding HP levels from headers/exhaust. The net is that by themselves, the exhaust mods don't add all that much - the bottlenecks are elsewhere. The exhausts on an SRT are also LOUD...

My $.02: ported heads, lifters, comp coupe cam & ECU, K&N intake, 3.55 gears, and high-flow cats would give you more power and less noise. If you then added headers & exhaust to THAT, you'd be making some serious power. Dan Cragin has done some of the research down that avenue.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My $.02: ported heads, lifters, comp coupe cam & ECU, K&N intake, 3.55 gears, and high-flow cats would give you more power and less noise. If you then added headers & exhaust to THAT, you'd be making some serious power.
Yea, like 564.1 hp and tq at the real wheels. Jason Heffner has done the WORK down that avenue, hehe. :D

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents are 3.55 gear, comp. coupe rear end. The stock rear end does hook up out of corners. Non-run flat rubber. I destroyed mine in one day at viperdays.If you really want to spend the money,Motons.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey ASASN,

My 04 is black too. Check my signature and you'll find most of the mods you mention. You can spend more, but you will likely void your warranty once you break into the engine. I plan to break into my engine soon, but wanted to run it a bit before losing my warranty. This is your call. West Coast Viper offers a "650" heads and cam, etc. package that I'll go with soon.

I dynoed before the exhaust work with 3.55's, K & N's and Corsa Tracks (the 3.55's cost you 10 to 15 "dyno" hp compared to 3.07's) and made 450 rwhp / 475 rwtq. After the exhaust work, I dynoed at 490 rwhp / 517 rwtq. Be careful of the noise level. I don't recommend using Corsa Track's with headers. I had two of my Corsa mufflers removed and will remove the other two when I do the heads and cam. Way too loud with a bunch of "resonance" above 2000 rpm.

If you have any doubt that this car needs a more free flowing exhaust system, put them aside. Before the exhaust change, the condensation used to drip out of the exhaust pipe. Now it sprays three feet. Get the headers, two high flow metal cats and the 3-inch pipes. Just get good mufflers. The dynomax mufflers were a bunch quieter and didn't cost any hp / tq. This change will take a bunch of heat out of the cabin as well.

The 3.55's really make a difference in the "seat of the pants" too. With good driving, I suspect 11.50's at sea level are obtainable with this combination and some tuning.

LOL

Dan

OP
OP
A

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys.....thanks for the input!!

This is what I've decided to go with.........B&B Headers (standard 1 3/4), Roe Racings' new exhaust (using the Borla X1-R Mufflers), Hi-Flo Cats (metal), Fidanza Flywheel and the 3.55 gears!! Already have the K&N Kit on the car, everything else is here or will be Monday, so, plan is to start tearing it down Monday!
More than likely will dyno the car on Sun, still triing to get to 1k miles before I full-pull it.....26 more to go!!

I'm with you Viper X, I'm gonna see how the car feels and play with it for a little while! If I do the heads, I'll definitely port them with big valves, just not sure if I'll mill them any, this car could end up being some sort of Forced Induction car!
After we get done with this car, we start breaking down my 97 for it's upgrades........have all these parts sitting in the dining room for about a month now, my wife is none to happy about this either!!

Oh well, I'll let ya know how it turns out, hopefully we'll have some decent weather Sun. so I can post some numbers......

Thanks again!!

OP
OP
A

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made the trip to the dyno this morning, here's what we got!!

K&N Kit, 1047 miles, Dyno Jet 248, 87.6 degress, corrected......
2nd pull.....470.1 rh/499.5 rt!!

First pull was 467.6/497.2(?), forgot to get that after the second run! This run the car may have been a little cool, second was at normal operating temps...

Needless to say I was very pleased with those numbers, a real good baseline to start!!
Will start breaking down the car tomorrow, hopefully if all goes well, I'll post numbers with the above mods next weekend.....if not sooner!!

Also, took it to the scale today.......needles width over a quarter tank of gas.....3380lbs, rounded to the closest 10lbs!!
Did this to see how much weight the exhaust will save! Plus if I do the after market rotors, maybe those together could shave 50+ pounds....we'll see!

Seeya!!