SRT vs. GTS Viper. Which did you pick and why

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to run the numbers and options for both cars. Is it me (probably) or is the SRT viper just a much better deal. So you get more leather, a 4 mode stability system, a different hood and stripes....what else am I missing?

Base price for SRT 97,395
Aero 4,800
Stereo 2,995
Track pack 3,500
Nappa 3,000
Navigation 2,500

Total 114,190 Color 1,000 and Stripes 4,500 Equals base price of GTS

Last edited:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2-mode shock absorbers? access to certain options not available on SRT model, lower(?) production numbers?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I debated back and forth, and ended up going with the GTS. After adding in the Nappa leather, upgraded stereo and navigation, the price was getting up there any way. I read that an SRT engineer said the GTS with the dampers in track mode is faster around the track than the base SRT, despite the GTS weighing a little more. That was another factor. I prefer the cleaner look of the GTS hood as well, although there are plenty out there that would choose the SRT hood. The two-mode dampers plus the sound deadening material on the GTS sealed the deal for me. Although I don't mind a stiffer ride and a little extra road noise, my better half will appreciate the more comfortable trip on weekend getaways. So GTS it is.

Last edited:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I debated back and forth, and ended up going with the GTS. After adding in the Nappa leather, upgraded stereo and navigation, the price was getting up there any way. I read that an SRT engineer said the GTS with the dampers in track mode is faster around the track than the base SRT, despite the GTS weighing a little more. That was another factor. I prefer the cleaner look of the GTS hood as well, although there are plenty out there that would choose the SRT hood. The two-mode dampers plus the sound deadening material on the GTS sealed the deal for me. Although I don't mind a stiffer ride and a little extra road noise, my better half will appreciate the more comfortable trip on weekend getaways. So GTS it is.

I'm with you on this, but my concern is ride height. Will the stance be low enough in GTS ?
If not, the SRT shocks will be easier and cheaper the change so we can get it to lower down to a nice stance, similar to what I did on my Gen IV.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are way more trusting than I am....how can you make a decision not knowing any proven performance figures between the options? Besides the shock options, how much will the aero option actually help?? How much faster is the track pack going to be?

It will be hard to get a new Viper for less than $140k out the door....I'd personally like some hard performance figures before I make that kind of decision on picking the options.

For those that have ordered cars, congrats, it does look like it will be a beast.

Cheers,
George

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I only track my car 3 or 4 times a year, I would still go with the Track pack and Aero kit mostly for the weight saving and the all important
good looks and bragging rights that come with it...Priceless !

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I orderd the GTS for all the same reasons.

Killer33

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered the GTS for the reasons mentioned above... a little more flexibility, also the exclusivity and the hood.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT was all I really wanted. Upgraded leather and touring were all I added. Still can't decide if I should throw track package in there though.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Start with base prices of 101,990 for the SRT and 124,990 for the GTS --- shipping and gas guzzler included.

For track rats , hard to argue a SRT with track pack leaving a total price of $105,490.

Many seem to also realize that a GTS is extremely well equipped as it comes, so many are viewing a $124,990 price for a Snake with power seats, electronic suspension, more lauch control options, nicer interior , 12 speaker Harmon Kardon , etc. Have a couple of orders with just this and nothing else, hence they will be 124,990 ( actually one is 125,990 as they selected an upgraded paint color )

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so bill how do the orders stack up so far? gts versus srt. dont say half and half please . lol

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few questions here :
Will the Moton suspension be available for the SRT ? What would be the approx cost ? Height would be adjustable, and do you think it could adjust to a stiffness range similar to the GTS or an even wider range ?

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Question . :)
A few questions here :
Will the Moton suspension be available for the SRT ? What would be the approx cost ? Height would be adjustable, and do you think it could adjust to a stiffness range similar to the GTS or an even wider range ?

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT hood offers more cooling, that is better for some.
And as for the sales analysis, international sales will have the final word )

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few questions here :

The GTS-R cars have Penske's. The best question would be are the suspensions on the race car and the street car similar, then, we would know if the Penske's are available for the stock cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
doctorbob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, I sent you a pm with the same question as above. You can just return the pm but I am curious what people are buying. Are the blue and whites all sold?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, I sent you a pm with the same question as above. You can just return the pm but I am curious what people are buying. Are the blue and whites all sold?

I know of a few avaialble, so I am guessing they have not all sold yet.

Bruce

Nambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted a white SRT ended up ordering a blue GTS for the 4 mode traction control. It seems to allow more development for me as a driver as I get more track time, as I really don't relish the idea of putting a 6 figure car in the wall. I only wish Bill P. could speed up time so that it was February and he could place my order as it included aero and exterior carbon.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I imagined the blend to be about 70/30 GTS to SRT, with it trailing down to 60/40 as the car was longer into it's life cycle. As of now , orders seem to be closer to 90/10 , as many new buyers ( i.e. competitive makes buyers ) do see a strong value at 125K for a GTS with no extra options.

I think this will change , somewhat , with future orders as I have some SRT orders that are waiting for the February second wave so they can get a SRT with track pack and the Aero Group only. I still think the balance will get closer to the 70/30 figure in the future, but it does appear the GTS will be the more popular model.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, we also have some carbon fiber orders for SRTs ( Feb. ) wanting an MCS suspension done, which will also improve ride, and are dynamite for the track. As you all know , Mark Jorgensen not only swears by this system, alot of you have had us install them and are firm believers too.

Last edited:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started a poll back in April. At that time, those respondents chose the GTS over the SRT by a 3 to 1 margin. Obviously, that was prior to pricing, but the options and content was known. http://forums.viperclub.org/threads....V-SRT-Coupe-or-a-Gen.-V-GTS-Coupe-or........ While at Mid Ohio at the GTS-R debut I talked with an SRT marketing exec, and he said they were expecting an even larger percentage of GTS buyers. I chose the SRT because I wanted the lighter, simpler car and the GTS has so much content that I have no use for.

Bill

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could the Penske also adjust to get a smooth street ride ? wich is 90% of the time for me.

Yes - I have them on my Gen II. I brought the canisters into the hood area and trunk, now they you can adjust both bump/rebound without getting under the car.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with you on this, but my concern is ride height. Will the stance be low enough in GTS ?
If not, the SRT shocks will be easier and cheaper the change so we can get it to lower down to a nice stance, similar to what I did on my Gen IV.

I read that both cars have coilover type shocks..

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with my current budget, i would get the SRT version, still the same car without the creature comforts. I am currently happy with My 09 ACR though. the last of the no nonsense Vipers.

Bruce

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS b/c of the upgraded interior and two tone colors. The base SRT gets only the color of the seats changed and nothing else. Also the cleaner looking hood. 6 vent looks too much like GEN IV hood imo.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after reading my post sounds like i am getting a little soft in my old age...
GTS b/c of the upgraded interior and two tone colors. The base SRT gets only the color of the seats changed and nothing else. Also the cleaner looking hood. 6 vent looks too much like GEN IV hood imo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_