Standing mile..How long of a strip do you need??

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start to stop, how many feet are needed to run a standing mile?

Having thoughts of the Local airport. But need more info.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like 2.5 to 3 miles (15,000 FT) for really high HP cars... Just going by what I've been reading.

1) Must be level
2) Well maintained tarmac

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's some sections of the FLA Turnpike that are straight & flat (and uncrowded) for miles...

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's some sections of the FLA Turnpike that are straight & flat (and uncrowded) for miles...

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

We've got some of those stretches here too. 4 lanes, 4 miles, not much traffic, no onramps or exits! Yes, you can find me there often. But don't waste your time trying to catch up with me!! :p

I was thinking of the airport which is 8000ft here, for a event type setup, with timers etc. But I do not think it is long enough. Maybe a 1/2 mile though.

I will check in with them to see cost etc here soon.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two places where motorcycles like to do one mile runs (Maxton and Goliad) are both 1.5 miles long (1 mile to accelerate, half mile to get to complete stop). Both are abandoned runways. Some bikers have said the hardest part of the run was stopping! (from 250+ mph)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey,

To make it really interesting I prefer to make it exactly one mile. The only problem is that it's a one-shot deal.

Seriously, there's a place in North Carolina (Maxton as mentioned by ZX12) they call "Bonneville East" where you can do these type of runs. They have a 200 mph club, which I bet you could easily belong to with that new TT. There's a big competition in a couple of weeks that HOT ROD Magazine is covering called "Top Speed Challenge"

Here's a link:

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/index.htm

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey,
I would definetly think 2 miles would do it. Your car will be able to get from 200-0 a lot faster than 0-200. Just think at 200 the moment you let off of the throttle the car is going to start decelerating very quickly even before you start to apply the brakes.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the lamborghini guys was telling me about some place up in NC (I think) where they do top speed runs. I think he used to use a Jag, but is now prepping a countach for the run.

Oh, and Area51 needs runways for planes to land with crews/parts/top officials/etc ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang