Started a Minor Garage Makeover

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got sick of looking at all of the crap in my garage so I set out to at least get it a bit more organized. What I came to realize is that the open tiered stack shelving, the tool pegboard and crap hanging on the walls really makes the garage look like crap. I started shopping around for cabinets and found that the nice looking steel cabinets are very pricey and they eventually scratch up and get dents and fingerprints. After looking at all of the options and having 2 college age kids and with two households to support I went with Sterlite vinyl storage units. I was really impressed with the innovative snap together design, the architectural style and reasonable durability. What I also found is that less is more with the closed cabinets because you can push stuff right up to the edge without having to worry about it falling off. I also scrapped the pegboard and replaced the 2x6 work bench with one of the units they sell at Sam's club. Here are a few before and after shots. I have a shed on order for the big stuff still lying around and I plan to do a complete floor to ceiling repaint.

Here are some reviews on the cabinets. I paid $75 for the tall ones and less than $50 for the shorter ones and $39 for the bin stacker. I have some heavy stuff on the shelves.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sterilite 01428501 4-Shelf Utility Cabinet with Putty Handles, Platinum

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

After Phase 1

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it has potential... I may paint it silver/gray with a blue sttipe like my car. I'm trying to find a good floor coating too.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok... Moved into the next phase of the garage makeover...

I went to see Amish Mike (not kidding) who built and delivered a custom 8x12 High Barn shed with a loft. Had it done up so it just disappears into the woods. Even the nicest looking shed takes away from a good landscape IMO. I was able to get everything off of the walls and floor and into the shed and still drive my 5x10 Yamaha Rhino into the shed and close the door with room to spare. I called 4 painters and garage floor guys and will get estimates. I'm leaning towards the acid stain for the floor right now. A couple of my garage door panels were dented so I had the garage door guy out and decided he may as well install another Liftmaster jack shaft opener in case another lift with a Gen4 on it shows up. (Shhhhhh... don't tell my wife LOL). I've decided to go with colors that match the neoclassical style of the house rather than the checkered flag motif so the wife is looking at Terra Cotta chips for the walls and floor. I also found that Lowes has 16' twin 8' 4 bulb florescent light fixtures so I'll pick a few of those up as well. I'm starting to look around for some wall art. I was thinking of trying to get some ORECA Team Racing photos and have some large posters made up in black and white but I'm open to suggestions. For now I'll just enjoy the freedom from the clutter.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...8&p=oreca team viper&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-701

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics