State of OH just rejected my license plate

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a few weeks back I get the car, go to the OH BMV, get the title transferred and apply for my vanity plates. Prior to going to the BMV I checked their website and the plate I wanted was available. They write it up and my registration has it listed. They give me a temp. tag with my plate displayed while they make the real one. In Saturday's mail I get a letter from the state saying:

SPECIAL PLATES REQUEST NOTICE OF DENIAL

"Special Plates issued by the BMV are a representation of the State. They are viewed not only in Ohio but in other states and countries and are viewed by numerous motorists including families and children. It is not the intent of the BMV to provide motorists with a forum or an avenue for promoting distasteful or offensive messages or causes. ORC 4503.19 authorizes the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to assign a distinctive number to motor vehicle registrants and to determine which combinations will or will not be displayed on the official license plates of the State".

The offensive plate? WILD ASP

***? I've seen asp used at least 10 times, a few times here in OH. The letter goes on to say that I can appeal it, which I certainly will. I went today and got a "regular" plate so at least the car is legal for the next year while I fight them on the vanity plate.

Anyone who has a clear pic of a plate of any state with the word ASP used, please email it to me. I'd like to send in a bunch of pics along with my appeal. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know! Janni has HER ASP (thank you), the recent Viper Mag. has NICE ASP shown, the lady at the BMV told me show knows that BAD ASP has already been issued in OH and I get nothing. No plate for me! Anyway, I'm going to put together a serious case and see what happens. Should be fun!

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graphite GTS, I plan on listing the definition of ASP in my appeal. When I was at the BMV the first time I asked the woman (who was very nice) if she thought the state would approve it. She said maybe, she wasn't sure. I said, "ASP is in the dictionary you know". She looked up at me and very kindly said, "so is Ass". My answer, "yes it is".

Vipah, 4kin-ASP. Love it. You know, if you go to the OH BMV website, ASP MAN is shown as available. My wife came up with that one. Guess she knows me all too well.

Buckeye, got a few in mind. BTW, Auto Assets which is primarily a Porsche shop has a DynoJet and will let us run our cars on it. They are only about a mile from my house. They do a lot of high end work there both on street cars and race only cars. We should talk about this as I want to get my baseline established soon.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe they have a rule that the plate can't be suggestive. If something sound's bad to some state gov employee, you are SOL.

Right now, in the Washington DC subway there is advertising for a British travel outfit. Big bold signs attracting attention with " **** ".
Lot's of complaints, letters to the editor, the usual.

Ad money talks, subways run on money.

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to contact Gary Almond (GaryA), he fought the MD DMV for BAD ASP and won. He was even on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. I believe he got the ECLU involved because of freedom of speech.

I have had WISEASP, KIKNASP and WHUPASP and NEVER had a problem.

Good Luck,
ROB :usa:

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is strange!! I have Ohio plate KICK ASP.

I had to explain to the proletariat in Columbus that ASP is a Snake and a Viper is a Snake.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem trying to get SMRT ASP last week! My local DMV did everything they could to get it for me but they turned it down 3 times(A-holes). They also told me that there are about 9 other ASP plates in Ohio and when they come due for new tags they are going to cancel there plates.
I find this sad! So much for freedom of Speech!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask the Ohio BMV if they know if dumb-ASP is available?

Then have them repeat that sentence three times!

Every other State has a DMV.

Whoever reviewed the tag request must have gone to the U.D.M. The University of Dumb-Muthaf.......

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary says:

Asp: a small venomous snake of Egypt variously identified as the cerastes or a small cobra.

The lady at the local licensing agency acting as representative for the OH BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) said that they were lucky the didn't get fined. Apparently, if they allow people to submit "offensive" requests, their office can get fined. Unreal!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Take your case HIGHER...and, point out the connection between "Viper" and "asp"...and, any inconsistancies in the current Ohio decision making process.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys don't get it.

The rule is that the plate can't be rude or nasty.

The fact that asp isn't meant to be a$$ in this case doesn't change anything.

It sounds like a$$ so it doesn't make the cut.

Right or wrong. The point of the rule is that the state doesn't want vanity plates that say rude or nasty things.

They can't be expected to tell that your selection of "bad asp" has something to do with cars named after snakes.
Most people seeing the "bad asp" plate, even on a Viper would not make the connection.

They would think you meant "bad a$$".

I'll bet if you owned a company that made golf balls in the color of a robin's egg, they wouldn't let you get plates that said "BLUEBALLS".

How about a large man named Richard? Could he have "BIGDICK"?
He didn't mean anything bad. But what do you think the stuffy old lady behind him in traffic would think?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point well taken Joe117, but screw em all if they can't take a joke. I lived in Cali. for 5 years and there was a plate in San Diego that I saw one day that took me a while to figure out but I did after I thought about it and asked other people. The plate read....phuque. The state did not catch it until he had it for a couple months then made him get a new one.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one got through the Washington DMV:
GUN4HIR
My son-in-law had it - the cops never liked it but not much they could do as it was issued.

Later,

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to have a BMV supervisor on the phone approve mine which was originally in question. He/she noted that it was for a Viper and gave it the OK.

198Plate.jpg

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen FAA QUE on a plate

Also IB6 UB9

Dirty, filthy perverts!

BUT, even if you explained them to my grandma, she still would say "I don't get it!"

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if you had a farm where you raised giant roosters?

What if you had a station wagon that you use to haul cats?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
joe117, I DO understand the spirit of the law and rules of good taste...my point was to try and take advantage of what was stated as a plate already "in play" in Ohio...as posted:

"That is strange!! I have Ohio plate KICK ASP."

For, in fact, once one catches any bureauracy in an inconsistant application of rules, policies, etc...you have a chance of prevailing.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No, no, no pauls, cancelling one plate would be complex...and, would look bad for the BMV...simply ADD another "asp" plate to the inventory of cool Ohio plates :laugh: :laugh: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog