Stock vs. slightly modified in terms of retaining value

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. I have a GTS Viper with 7,000 original miles, 100% OEM. I realize that the car being OEM definitely adds to the "collector" appeal of the car.

I'd like to add a Corsa exhaust to the car, which is bolt on...shouldn't be an issue if I ever sell the car because I could just put it back to stock. But for the potential paint bubble issue (as well as sound/performance), I'm really considering getting a Random Tech high flow cat (which would need the stock cats cut off since it's not bolt-on). At this point I really lose the OEMness of the car.

In either case, I will be driving the car 1-4k miles a year probably, so it definitely won't stay at 7,000. With that in mind, is it even worth trying to keep it OEM to retain the value in the car?

Looking to get some of your thoughts as to what I should realistically do? Please no "drive it because it's meant to be driven" answers, as that doesn't really help lol.

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The standard bolt on mods will most likely not affect the value as most people would do them anyway. Items such as catback exhaust, smooth tubes, etc. As you said they can be easily reversed. Even the Cats are not a big deal. I have the RT cats on my car and with the B&B exhaust it sounds mean but not too loud. If it makes you happy, go for it. Who are you saving it for anyway;)

As you can see, I took a car that had 300 miles on it. Instantly voided the 7/70 warranty. Rebuilt the engine, added a couple of turbos and other items. I don't look at it as investment. I value the satisfaction of making it the way I like it. Hell it definately gives me satisfaction every time I hit the gas. By the way, I only have about 4K miles on mine.

Go for it, you will be happier:headbang:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of depends on what is important to you.

If you are going to drive the car some, modifications probably will not effect the value too much, however expect any modifications to be money spent and gone.

Mostly only low mileage, pristine, unmodified cars will bring significant premiums in 15 years. Special colors and editions will up the value.

Some people bought first edition 92's and stored them for all these years to find they are still only worth in the $30K's.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Real collector cars have only a few hundred miles on them. They have greatly increased value with all the flaws that came from from the factory.

Mods don't change the value of a real car much until they get high miles, then the mods are new parts and dependant upon the popularity of the mods it will increase the value slightly or significantly. I paid an extra $13,000 for my car because it came with $50,000+ in mods and was nearly my dream car. Now I've put bigger brakes, Roe front scoop, 14" front brakes, stereo speakers, Bluetooth and ****** SRX built-in radar detector.

My Viper is a much better car than when I purchased it. The economy has devalued it - but I plan to keep it, so it doesn't matter.

It's possible that you bought a Viper because it's close to your idea of the perfect car, do the mods to make that Viper into your 'perfect car', then it's a keeper!

Ted

R

RTED

When I purchasd my 95 several years ago, it was completed stock. I had the same thoughts as you to leave the car untouched for resale value. However, I started with smooth tubes and K&N filters and quickly found myself making the changes that I felt would improve the car. From what I have seen recently on Barret Jackson, mods did not affect resale value on a "popular - must have car". To hell with the resale....ENJOY THE CAR!!!:2tu:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't have to cut your cats out if you would like to purchase a set of stock cat pipes (without the stock cats) from me :)

I also think we need to be realistic in how long many of us plan to keep these cars. I know very few people who are on their first Viper. Most folks tend to purchase nice sports cars at a younger age, realize they made a mistake, buy a house instead and years later purchase another sports car (I did this with Vipers). Things change, cars change, people change. In 15-30 years when these cars may begin to appreciate in value there will be very few of us from this board visiting Barrett Jackson.

I also disagree with "mods not depreciating" value. Stock vs Modified, stock always sells for more. Perhaps I could say modifications do not increase value and have a good chance of hindering it. This will often be the case unless its a twin turbo or supercharged car done by a reputable installer, then you're talking 50% return in mods if you're lucky.

Last edited:

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....I also disagree with "mods not depreciating" value. Stock vs Modified, stock always sells for more. Perhaps I could say modifications do not increase value and have a good chance of hindering it. This will often be the case unless its a twin turbo or supercharged car done by a reputable installer, then you're talking 50% return in mods if you're lucky.

Agreed.

DrDJ