Strange engine heating problem (new)

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Water pump is back on. I pressed the impeller on another .043 inch. I'll post pictures tomorrow. There was quite a gap on the impellers close to the front housing. This would effective the operation of the pump. Especially at the low RPM's. I don't think this was the problem but it will help.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't these cars to some degree self purging of the air? Or in other words, driving the car will do the job? Did this all come about with a fresh coolant change? Or is the only coincidence the corn in your tank?

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aren't these cars to some degree self purging of the air? Or in other words, driving the car will do the job? Did this all come about with a fresh coolant change? Or is the only coincidence the corn in your tank?

This all seamed to begin happening after I got fuel. It's all good. I'm giving my car a good going over. Hey it has 27,000 miles on it and I want it to be reliable. Maybe I'm to fussy. Plus I enjoy working on this thing just as good as driving it.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is the latest:

Pulled off the water pump. Did not find anything wrong. I personaly felt the impeller was to far away from the housing which decreased the eficency of the pump so I pressed it on another .043 inch. Note picture. This shaft was flush from the factory.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also pulled the plugs and did a compression check. As pics show all plugs look great. I am thinking of going one size cooler plug.

Here is my compression test results. Looks great.

1 = 150
2 = 150
3= 150
4 = 150
5 = 150
6 = 150
7 = 150
8 = 152
9 = 150
10 = 148

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dave,

My experience with my car is that the air will not move out of the system. Here is what I do. Located on the t-stat housing is a small 1/8 plug. The factory one is metal. Throw that one away. It bonds to the aluminum intake and when removed for the first time you will pull some threads. (Be careful) I went to my local hardware store and got a brass one and with my hacksaw put a slot in it. This is easier to work with now.
With my engine cold and my system empty I remove this plug on the t-stat housing.
Next I fill up my system thru the radiator holding tank till full.
Unfortunately the fluid will not come out this hole till the t-stat opens.
Next I run the engine a few seconds.
Fill the holding tank again. (do this a few times till the fluid come out the vent hole in the t-stat housing)
Now put the plug in but do not tighten it all the way.
Put the radiator cap on.
Start engine and run for 5 to 10 minutes. (Operating temp) Shut motor off.
Back off the vent hole plug and you will see the bubbling of air come out. Allow this to bubble till it turns into all fluid. tighten the plug. (DO NOT REMOVE THIS PLUG WHEN ENGINE IS HOT, YOU WILLLLL GET HURT)
Once all air is out and engine cooled down remove radiator cap and fill tank.
You might want to heat cycle the engine one more time and see if you can get anymore air out.

Dave, Keep your input coming. It is all good!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like we have a similar method. I have the Roe vented upper hose, which BTW is far from a miracle. Does however make it easier than that pipe plug on the stat housing.

Anyway, what I have done several times:

Fill system with vent fitting open, using my funnel that fits the coolant bottle. Nothing ever comes out the vent hole during this process.

Close vent, and with fluid in the funnel covered with a towel, start car for 30 seconds to a minute. Fluid level in funnel will rise due to the air heating in the engine, and then fall again as the air cools. Check vent to see whassup there.

Allow to heat soak for 15 to 30 minutes.

Repeat process until stat opens. This takes 3 to 4 hours. I have the time. If you don't, then I would of course find an alternate method!

When stat is open fill system to as much as it will take, checking hose vent. Close system, ensuring fascia bottle has fluid and the hose between the 2 has no leaks. You can otherwise **** air as the system cools.

From there, with driving in between, I've maybe seen the level in the fascia bottle drop about 1/2" or so, as the final air works out of the system.

No cooling problems in Texas.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My latest test run is that I may be running 5 degrees cooler. I'm back to thinking it's the gas.

Where can I get gasoline analyzed?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the advice of Tator, I loosened one of the heater core hoses when I filled up and then burped. It seemed to have worked better in getting rid of the air than unscrewing the t-stat housing bleeder screw.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes no sense to be the alcohol content of the fuel. When the doctor puts ethanol on your skin to clean it, doesn't it feel cold? The high latent heat of vaporization (the energy the ethanol pulls from it's surroundings in order to transform from a liquid to a vapor) is the reason - and the same happens in your engine. For the ethanol to evaporate, it pulls heat energy from the air it is mixing with and cools the incoming charge. It does not burn hotter, either.

Mix the gasoline you buy with 20% water. If the gasoline has zero alcohol, the gasoline and water will separate and you will see 20% water on the bottom of your jar. If it has 10% alcohol, you will see 30% water on the bottom because the alcohol will preferentially mix with water vs. gasoline. (I don't think I'm doing the fractions exactly right, but you get the point.) What else would you test the gasoline for?

Ethanol is about 1/3 oxygen, and if the amount of ethanol is 10% of the gallon, then you are starting out only 3.3% lean. The O2 sensors have to measure the exhaust and make up for this - if they aren't, you have a fuel supply problem but not a fuel problem. A cold start requires more than a 3% enrichment, so you have to have the supply capability. Is there a yellow check engine light?

ViperTony's Tator method works.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality check:
Engine temprature after 10 minutes of running. 220 degrees
top radiator hose 195 degrees
lower radiator hose 165 degrees

I think you have a bad temp sensor, a bad ground, or a bad temp gauge. Coolant exiting the motor is 195 yet the gauge reads 220.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you have a bad temp sensor, a bad ground, or a bad temp gauge. Coolant exiting the motor is 195 yet the gauge reads 220.

Sadly enough it may be true. I drained all the gas and replaced it with another brand and octain. No difference. Next is to replace the temp sensor.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could be right with the sensor, but polymers are typically bad thermal conductors.

It is possible that after only 10 minutes the water is indeed 220 whilst the outside of the hose is a lower temp.

Why do they make can koozies out of rubber to keep your drink cold? :dunno:

Answer... Bad thermal conductor that rubber polymer stuff is.

Suggestion... Shoot the metal parts with your IR.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could be right with the sensor, but polymers are typically bad thermal conductors.

It is possible that after only 10 minutes the water is indeed 220 whilst the outside of the hose is a lower temp.

Why do they make can koozies out of rubber to keep your drink cold? :dunno:

Answer... Bad thermal conductor that rubber polymer stuff is.

Suggestion... Shoot the metal parts with your IR.

After the rubber has been saturated with the heat the difference from the metal to the rubber was only 5 degrees.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe I found my problem

BAD THERMOSTAT

I am 98 percent sure. Gage does not go any higher than 195 degrees at idol with AC on and lights ON. I'll know for sure when I get this thing on the road in a few days.

This was a 180 degree thermostat and it was less than one year old. It was sticking and would not close all the way. (BAD SPRING) Nore open porperly. I tested it in a *** of boiling watter.

I thank all of you who posted here. You helped me tremendously thru this. It's funny to look back at what we thought was wrong. I was so convinced it was the fuel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Defective part. See how crooket it is. It's not closed and I'm holding it. It's cold. Also notice the high ware area.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I found my problem

BAD THERMOSTAT

I am 98 percent sure. Gage does not go any higher than 195 degrees at idol with AC on and lights ON. I'll know for sure when I get this thing on the road in a few days.

This was a 180 degree thermostat and it was less than one year old. It was sticking and would not close all the way. (BAD SPRING) Nore open porperly. I tested it in a *** of boiling watter.

I thank all of you who posted here. You helped me tremendously thru this. It's funny to look back at what we thought was wrong. I was so convinced it was the fuel.

Defective part. See how crooket it is. It's not closed and I'm holding it. It's cold. Also notice the high ware area.

Next boys and girls, we'll work on Bolt's spelling skills.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

:D

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Failed component

Pin would not slide, stuck in position.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where did you purchase the 180 t-stat?

It was a good reputable dealer and this is the first one he ever seen fail. It is a Weir-Stat brand. I’m going to cross section this component to analyze it. It appears the pin got sticky and would not slide. Possibility is to close of tolerance.

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found this thread a little too late, but I had the exact same problem with the same Brand 180 thermostat (Weir Stat) installed less than a year before.
Result: stuck on the freeway with a overheating engine, 300 miles from home. When I say overheating, I mean in the red zone, with half the coolant flowing out the overflow bottle on the floor.
I also have a 2001 so I immediately thought of the waterpump problem: Wrong, it was a bad thermostat....