Strange part fell off my Viper!

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I took my new ACR on it's maiden voyage last year, I had only driven about 500 ft when I heard a loud clank as if something fell off the car. I turned around and searched and found nothing.

Then last week I heard the sound again. A very metallic clank, just like something fell off again. And then a few days ago it happened again while accelerating. It was pretty loud and startled me.

Well, today I pulled the car out of the garage to wash the wheels and I found this mystery part laying under the car, roughly under the engine compartment.

I can imagine what would of happened if this flew off the car while doing highway-speeds up US19. My friend Patrick was behind me in his red GTS and I'd of been sick if this hit his car!

It is amazing that it didn't fly off while driving. Luckily it ended up on my garage floor!

Can anyone identify what this thing is? It almost looks like some type of tool.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
toomanymodz

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It must be a heck of a small spark plug. The 'socket' is roughly 1/2 inch. Do they even make spark plugs that small?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if it's a drain plug wrench or some other little handy tool that nobody knows about except for the people that bought the cars that QC Guy #1 forgot to check and see if the hold-down was tight.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The assembly line workers used to put half sandwiches in nooks where you couldn't get to on cars that they knew were going to be delivered to an exec. You didn't make somebody mad at Connor did you? :rolaugh:

D

DAMN YANKEE

That is the typical tool that is packed with small gas engines of all types.

I would look elsewhere for your rattle, I doubt this was it.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd guess that it's probably a common tool from the assembly line.
NO, not at the CAAP!!! With their so called thorough inspection this tool could not have been left there. Maybe the grail man knows whos it is. Looks like it has an inventory sticker on it? Just glad it did not come flying out while driving the new car.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a little wrench that comes in the pack of wrenches from a lawnmower or something. I bet your neighbor is missing it if he just pulled his lawnmower out. Since you pulled the car out to wash the wheels and never heard a clank or a sound, then I would bet it was on the ground before you pulled out. I agree your clank sound must be from something else. Just my thought.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm guessing you are all going in the wrong direction with this.

the first noise you heard was you running over it on the road, and it getting kicked up into the engine compartment somewhere, and the other noises were "it" flopping around in the car. i am sure Stihl has a few Quality Control employee #1's too.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does your car have the racer x option,maybe the were makeing the final adjustments on your chainsaw bars!look in your fenderwells,thats where they are stored....:dunno:

OP
OP
toomanymodz

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"the first noise you heard was you running over it on the road..."

I thought about that, however, the item has perfect paint, without a single scratch or scuff. No way it ever hit the pavement or got run over.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FOLLOW UP:

Our friends at CAAP have examined the photo..... Four different individuals held an informal Q-C looksee, and they say this is NOT a part of tooling, supplies, or anything that CAAP personnel recognize. The 'ranking' viewer stated: 'I have one exactly like it at home that came with my new lawn mower.'

They also ask if there are any engravings on the handle? ALL CAAP tools have 2 alpha characters (NM) as an inventory control code engraved somewhere on each factory tool .

One other CAAP-inion is that it looks like a ratcheting tie-down / tightening -release tool that Reliable uses to tighten the tie-downs and release the teeth when the cars are shipped....but the part looks too pristine to have been used.

The bad news is, this unscheduled interruption at CAAP has delayed the completion of new 09 Vipers by about 3 minutes......

TRIVIA CONTEST: The first VCA Member who can correctly tell us what the "NM" stands for will win a very cool Viper Doo-Dad currently being offered to all 08-09 ACR owners.

Im going to arbitrarily say MCVCO folks, and VCA bosses not eligible....

Hint..... apparently ALL Viper in-Plant Tools have been so engraved since 1992.

GUESSES ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
toomanymodz

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MYSTERY SOLVED

Well, sort of...

Several folks mentioned that it looked like a part for a chain saw. Well, recently I had purchased a 'pole saw' for trimming the palm trees. The part must of came out of the box and skidded under the car without me knowing it. So at least I now know where the dang thing came from.

The question still remains as to what is making the clanking sound when I accelerate. It happens only once in a great while. I guess only time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for your diligent research. We've got a great gang here. :)

Last edited:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
MYSTERY SOLVED

Well, sort of...

Several folks mentioned that it looked like a part for a chain saw. Well, recently I had purchased a 'pole saw' for trimming the palm trees. The part must of came out of the box and skidded under the car without me knowing it. So at least I now know where the dang thing came from.

The question still remains as to what is making the clanking sound when I accelerate. It happens only once in a great while. I guess only time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for your diligent research. We've got a great gang here. :)

Glad you have that figured out - but I'd be paranoid driving the car until I figured out what is making the noise. Hate for anything crazy to happen at speed. Good luck finding out what is causing the sound.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....Working Backwards,

Owner
Dealer
Reliable
CAAP
Prefix
CAAP
Checking.........

AHA! Working backwards worked FAST!

CAAP CARES, and so were very happy to fast-track this question to address / quash the thought that someone might have left a tool in a Viper.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...NM stands for new mack.....

BINGO That was fast..... New Mack is correct. When Roy and Herb and Team V began building the Vipers at NEW MACK ASSY PLANT (now gone) the plant tools were engraved with NM, a plant code that continues to this day.

Tabs1, your profile is blank, so please E-me your pedigree with car color and Ill send you a doo-dad

[email protected]

Last edited: