Stratus ABS on Viper

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what I saw on the race track last week-end??
I was with my 02GTS during our club outing at a track and a friend came up and told me he had bought a complete brake set up from a totalled stratus and installed the ABS components on his 94RT/10. He paid about 1300$ for the parts.
We went out on the track and did a couple of 60-0 stops. I could see no difference in stopping distance between his and mine. I could clearly hear the tires "chirping"(?) when his ABS repeatidly blocked and released the wheels which doesn't happen on mine. Obviously the computer speed is not the same.
WE both had the same tires, my brake system is stock and he has better pads.
So if you have nothing to do during some w-e, have fun.
Anders/Geneva/Switzerland

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How in the heck did he do that? That sounds like a great thing, but also sounds impossible.

Did he take pictures of the installation by any chance?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Stratus makes a lot of sense...

I forget which one, but either the front or rear wheel hub assemblies are the same as the Dakota...

The u-joints are the same as a Dakota...

Ball joints and tie rod ends are common too...

Hummmmmmmm....

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody stands up and applause to REMO HOLLENSTEIN from Switzerland who has done this conversion using stock Mopar parts. From now on this will be called the REMO SYSTEM( That's the last we can do).
First I'm no mechanic and I try to translate from german what he told me.
Second REMO is a fantastic good mechanic and what he has done is only for professionnals. Either you are and you will understand or you know one. He did this conversion when rebuilding his Viper after he totalled it(maybe he is a little less good driver...)!
His Viper is a 95 and the parts come from a 97 Stratus.
Newer ones with traction control or other computer gimmicks might not work.
The Stratus system is a four channel which means each wheel is separately braked/controlled. In a 3channel system the 2 front wheels are separated but the rear ones brake/controlled together.
He took alle the ABS parts from the Stratus: Sensors and trigger wheel, cables(he took out the complete wiring system), and the "computer".
For the front he made an aluminium ring on which he fixed the trigger wheel in turn welded on the back side of the hub.
In the back he added metal on the half shaft( newer Viper have thicker halfshafts and you might have to remove some width/diameter) and slid the trigger wheel on and welded.
The "computer"(sorry don't know the name in english)was installed on the left hand side were the rest of the electronic is). He kept the original 3 fuse system for optimal security and added an on/off switch. With the system off he had too much rear brake bias but corrected it using standard pads in the rear and ferrodo race in the front. He installed all the extra wiring separately. Now the question: how much time: for the second car he has done it took him: 30hours.
The system has been professionnaly tested in a test center with wet pavement and it worked perfectly even when spinning the car.
In a week all totalled Stratuses will be more worth. Buy one instead of stock market!!
Bravo REMO.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!

If Mopar parts manuals were not so erroneous, one could make a list of the 97 part numbers and see in what years they are used.

Frankly, because of the manuals, I don't know how you could do that.

I do know that either the front or rear rotor from the 2001/2 with the ABS sprocket can be used on older Vipers. The only difference is the sprocket. That eliminates the effort to put the sprocket on the rotor.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

I have the Archer ABS kit on my 98 GTS and highly recommend it.

I posted some of the pertinent details back in the March timeframe. You might search for ABS or just my posts (there aren't many).

I'm guessing the folks at Archer are in transit from VOI. If you've not heard from them soon, e-mail me and I can send you the installation guide in PDF format.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From ViperSpeed's website:

This four-channel ABS package, which is fully adaptable to any year R/T or GTS, eliminates unintended
wheel lock-up, preventing flat-spotting of tires and vehicle spins. The ABS package also delivers outstanding
wet weather performance. The system is interfaced with the Viper's stock ECM for diagnostics and in-dash
warning lamp indication.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Was there any welding, drilling required or was this a simple bolt on and route the wiring and plumbing type of job?

Thanks,

Ulysses

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Ulysess,

There was some very minor drilling required to mount the ABS unit, protective skid plate and route the wiring harness to the G-Switch.

Illustrated installation maual is well written and easy to follow. Wiring harness was right length, lots of reinforcements for wire ties. The replacement brake lines were pre-formed and fit like they were supposed to. All in all, a very well thought out and easily installable upgrade.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The photo a couple posts above is the same setup I have, purchased in March 2002 from BobbyArcher MotorSports and mine is a 3 channel system, not a 4 channel system. Otherwise, the description with the photo is accurate. Please don't misunderstand - I don't mean to be argumentative, Archer may now be offering a 4 channel system, I don't know. I do know the system in the picture and on my car is 3.

In March 2002, the ABS system from Bobby Archer MotorSports was $5800 + a core charge in my case because car had in excess of 5000 miles (which meant I got new front wheel bearings out of the deal). Installation was extra, but I did this myself. Current pricing may vary.

Last, I have no affiliation with the vendors, just a satisfied customer.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Dozzo:
In March 2002, the ABS system from Bobby Archer MotorSports was $5800 + a core charge in my case because car had in excess of 5000 miles (which meant I got new front wheel bearings out of the deal). Installation was extra, but I did this myself. Current pricing may vary.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheeze. Thanks for the info. Joe. That's way past my threshold of pain for an upgrade. I couldn't justify the nearly 4X cost increase over the parts mentioned in the original post. I'd actually consider trading my car in/up for that kind of difference.

What I need is someone to package that $1300 kit. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

-Matt

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Matt on 10-04-2002 at 03:36 PM</font>

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What we don't know is how much time and custom machine work Anders friend has invested in making the system work as well as it sounds from the posts.

I guarentee it's not a simple bolt-on plug-and-play operation!

Again, I have no affiliation with Archer, but I don't think a straight dollars comparison between the two is the best way to evaluate the options. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi