Stripes?

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think? Tape or paint? I've been pricing stripes put on my silver GTS and the price is up there. I can have them painted or plastic tape but the cost to paint them is almost $3,000 :p . The price includes clear coat. Is the tape a bad idea? My car is silver with black interior and I would prefer blue stripes.

anybody?
Chuck

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you gone to more than 1 painter that does stripes, or is there only 1 "expert" in your area.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going through the same thing..sort of. I started by having a mopar spoiler installed and striped to match my factory striping. Then I said I might as well stripe the removable top to make the lines of the car continuous. All painted and clear. Now I'm in the progress of major work as Elites new hood and facia are being sanded, painted and striped as we speak. But I think there is no substitute for paint in comparison to tape. I think you'll be happier with the paint striping. Price tp pay if you want to play!

By the way Chuck , you spent the money with Doug for the power, now pay the painter for the fine exterior finishing!

IMHO

Adam

OP
OP
C

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I was just wondering if there is a big difference between the paint or tape? I will shop some more but I didn't want to run all over the place if there isn't that big of a difference between the two.

Chuck

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with temp stripes, especially if you're going to use an unusual color, to see if you like it. If you do, you can always make them permanent by painting; if you don't, you can easily have them removed, and you lose nothing. That's a win win, by my definition...unless you're pinching pennies, in which case - no pain, no gain. :D

You must be registered for see images

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine from the factory. If I had it to do over I would not, tape or so called vinyl stripes are so easy to do and are undetectable from painted that I would try out the stripes first in vinyl or tape, I mean for what 2-300 bucks, see if you like it, after that go to paint. After what I saw at a recent Viper meet you can't tell the difference unless it is pointed out to you.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that vinyl is OK for a temporary "do I like the color" sanity check. Beyond that, a Viper is deserving of a quality paint job.

Also consider black on silver instead of blue. I did and my car is awesome looking and unique.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black stripes look mighty fine on silver ACR Joe :) . Chuck I would consider vinyl If you don't like them you can easily remove them. Paint is probably the way to go but if you don't like them well..................

-Lou

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I had stripes put on my '01 GTS when new and did a lot of research prior to having them done(by dealer). There is a big difference in the "feel" of the stripes between painting and vinyl. If the painted are done correctly and the clear coat feathered on right they will look awesome. All the vinyls I saw had a lip on the edge that showed up in various stages along the lines of the stripes...really did not look good IMHO. That said, I am looking to do stripes on my SRT and will be doing vinyl to see what they look like prior to painting.

CStegall

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck, I prefer paint, but I have a 96 Indy Ram Truck that came with white vinyl stripes from the factory, as did all of the ram ss/t's. The vinyl stripes look fine, and you really can't tell until you rub your finger over the edge of the vinyl. The durability has been great, the truck is 7 years old and stripes still look great. If you want pictures, I can send them to you.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go get the Vinyl. I had them put on my first Viper and they looked perfect. Best of all it cost $300. You can't tell from painted stripes (unless you touch the car, which people shouldn't be doing anyway). It took one day vs. leaving your Viper at a paintshop for who knows how long.