stuck in the midddler of my shifter install, HELP please!

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im trying to put on the short throw shifter from rich detert and i cant get the fat black base of this sucker off. short of cuttining it with a torch what can i do?? thanks

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you speaking of the console trim piece? If so it removes fairly easily. There are clips and velcro attachments. The center rear clip is the most difficult on mine. I just place my fingers through the trim piece ash tray hole and pull up. The other clips have not been a problem.

OP
OP
P

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

this is the **** im speaking of, its the black thing under the shifter knob and bar.

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing you need to do with that black piece is chuck it, or put it on a shelf for posterity. Rich's piece screws in where the one came out.

Or are you having trouble removing that part from the car?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That black thing is a vibration isolator. It has a molded rubber layer separating the knob shaft from the transmission part. don't twist it too much from the top or you might break the rubber bond.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its also a heat insulator.........chuck it out, its horribly long, Richs shifter piece is a nice lttle mod

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put in Rich's 3" with my stock knob. The black stock piece is a tough MF to get off. I thought I was gonna twist the tranny sideways under the car. Give it hell, it WILL break loose!
Good luck!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the stock shifter with the little MGW knob. I don't think I could use it if it was much shorter.

I wouldn't twist that shifter too much without torque holding the shift arm. You could be loading the actual forks inside the box itself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte