Supercharged Viper & 2009 Z06 Track Results

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was invited to a private track rental today (thanks S.W.) and brought both of my cars. I also brought along the truck and trailer, just in case I busted either car. Luckily, both cars would survive this day of beating. Weather was nice, temps in the 60-62F range for the most part. Track conditions were fair, but my traction issues are mostly related to the radial tires on both cars. There were only 5 cars running, so I got more seat time than I've had in years. I probably made at least 10 passes in each vehicle.

Here is some info about the cars I brought:

2006 Viper SRT-10 coupe - 9,600 miles
Stock engine, stock exhaust manifolds with cats
Custom catback
Stock tuning with Split Second piggyback module
Paxton Supercharger with original pulley - 10 psi
Eibach lowering springs, OEM shocks
20" Nitto Invo street tires on the back
675 rwhp and 3,750 lbs raceweight

2009 Corvette Z06 - 1,150 miles
100% stock, as-delivered from the dealership.
19" stock Goodyear run-flat tires on the back
est 440 rwhp and 3,350 lbs raceweight

Both cars are completely different as far as the driving experience goes. The Viper is more brutal, and it has a stiffer clutch with a higher engagement point. Shifter in the Viper has slightly more travel, it takes a little more effort than the Z06. Steering at high speeds seem more stable in the Viper, as the steering feedback is stiffer. Shift points are only 6,000 in this car, which is the factory redline. You cross the finish line about midway through 4th gear, just before it starts to pull very hard. It could use a 3.55 gear for drag racing, instead of the factory 3.08 gearing. This Paxton needs rpm to see real boost, which doesn't really become evident until midway through 3rd gear. It really takes off and you can feel the acceleration jump around 4500 rpm thru 6000. With the 20-inch wheel combo I have on the car, traction is a huge challenge to maintain. I made a couple passes where the traction would disappear going into 3rd gear. Best results came from holding the rpm at ~2300 rpm off the line and slipping the clutch out and rolling into the throttle enough to avoid wheel hop. Once those wheels begin hopping, there is no recovery from it and you must abort the pass. If you manage to get the car off the line smoothly, a short-shift at 5,000 rpm into 2nd keeps the tires from wheel hopping in 2nd gear. No powershifts, or guaranteed wheelhop results. Basically, baby the car until mid-2nd gear and then just keep it straight while the tires haze a bit. Hold on for 3rd and 4th, you can powershift those two.

Best passes for the Viper:
1/4 mile 11.22 @ 135.2 mph (2.15 60')
1/8 mile 7.56 @ 105.1 mph (2.07 60')

The 2009 Z06 was a much easier car to drive, whether that was due to it having less power or maybe just better tires. The first few passes, I eased into the throttle coming off the line, in order to avoid dreaded wheel hop. The car never unloaded or had any wheel hop, so I get a little more aggressive coming off the line. The TR6060 transmission feels very precise, but it needs to be warmed up a bit before it shifts notch-free. I've found it useful to always do the 1-2-1 shift just before entering the staging beams, this gets rid of the 1-2 notchy feel during the run about to happen. Suspension on the Z06 feels softer than the Viper, you can definitely feel the weight transfer off the line, which makes it easier to gauge your throttle vs traction. I was able to shift the car at redline (7000 rpm) on the 1-2 without much fuss from the tires. Just a simple chirp and they gripped well. The 3rd and 4th gears were easy to powershift. These cars really feel impressive in 3rd-4th for a stock car, you can tell they are moving pretty good. They aren't geared very well at all for drag racing however, you can either tap the rev limiter in 3rd at the finish line, or shift into 4th as you enter the trap. I saw a little better mph staying in 3rd, but better ET going into 4th. These cars would rock with a 3.73 gear to utilize 4th.

Best passes for the Z06
1/4 mile = 11.55 @ 124.9 mph (2.07 60 ft)
1/8 mile = 7.60 @ 97.5 mph (1.94 60 ft)

Other cars that were running today included a new orange 2009 ACR Viper that had ported heads, cam, and exhaust, putting down 650 rwhp. It was also traction limited, those Michelin tires seemed to spin pretty badly. With a couple lifts due to traction, it eventually went 11.7 @ 129 mph. The black Toyota Supra belongs to S.W. and he was trying to get the car into the 7-second zone for the first time. The car has gone 8.04 @ 185 mph previously, so they removed some raceweight and installed an electric fan for today's track rental. Unfortunately, the car could never hook very well today, so no new records were achieved. That car looks very violent going down the track, it is still a 6-speed manual! Nice driving S.W., bet it is a monster to keep pointed in the right direction. The black Ford GT didn't make any passes, but I couldn't resist taking some photos of it.

Thanks again for the invite! Nice photos Dennis, I think you've found your new hobby.

Tony :drive:

You must be registered for see images attach

More pics...

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great write up and pics. I'm amazed at that zo6 very very impresssive for a 100% bone stock car with 1000 miles on the odo.

how bad was traction on that acr? My pretty much stock 03 will run 11.9-12.0's with just a cat-back exhaust on run flats and that was in 70 degree weather.

Nice trap speed on your coupe.....

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR had something like 70 miles on it, so the driver didn't want to abuse the tires or romp on it too hard. The tires seemed very slippery, but I'm sure they would really soften up with a little burnout or roast up to the line. I tried 2 burnouts in my own Viper, it was pathetic. Instant wheel hop, even with the tires wet. Didn't do that again!

Tony

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome pics! Nice trap speed brother! Next time don't go through the water and just rev and drop the clutch. You will make a nice burn out and clean the tires off no wheel hop. That black GT looks just like mine. Was the a Hennessey supercharged twin turbo car?

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black GT was a "Hennessey 1000" car, but it still had the factory blower on it (see rear shot pic). I think it was just boosted up some. You are right about just peeling out dry, it worked MUCH better than with wet tires.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trap speed for ACR Viper seems low considering it has ported heads, cam, and exhaust considering it's putting 650RWHP to the ground. :confused: Hell a stock ZR1 traps at 131mph and the modded ACR is making much more power.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The trap speed for ACR Viper seems low considering it has ported heads, cam, and exhaust considering it's putting 650RWHP to the ground. :confused: Hell a stock ZR1 traps at 131mph and the modded ACR is making much more power.

Im also confused about that to :confused:

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All the power in the world won't help if the tires spin. The tires were brand new, the car only made two passes. The tires had zero traction, and the driver did not want to do a burnout in a car that didn't belong to him. Don't gauge the ACR potential based on these numbers, it never made a full pass without spinning and lifting the throttle, even in 3rd gear.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a nice color for the Z06 and congratulations for removing the K-Mart Viper wheels. It looks much better. I think a set of aftermarket wheels for the Z06 is in store. The original ones don't do the car justice. Please advise before buying wheels for the Z in order to avoid another disaster.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about some wheels like the iforged ones on my GTS, for your Z06?

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of cyber gray HRE 893R wheels arriving this week for the Z06. Thanks for your concern Alex, you know how much I value your opinion!

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of cyber gray HRE 893R wheels arriving this week for the Z06. Thanks for your concern Alex, you know how much I value your opinion!

Take some pics when you get the wheels on. They should look great. Don't worry, I know that you value my opinion and that is why you made the wheel adjustment on your Viper. There's nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to finding a hero and may I say, you made a damn good choice.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take some pics when you get the wheels on. They should look great. Don't worry, I know that you value my opinion and that is why you made the wheel adjustment on your Viper. There's nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to finding a hero and may I say, you made a damn good choice.

Hero, you sound like a homo claiming hero status............:D

but the wheels on your gts look good

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well................Atleaste your wright up finally put the bogus claims of a stock C6Z06running with a supercharged SRT10 to rest...it's pretty evident that this same day same driver same drag strip testing pitted a 124 mph stock C6Z06 against a 135 mph supercharged 03-06 SRT10....that SRT10 would literally run away from that C6Z06 in a 80-160 mph sprint

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct Twister, the 10 mph variance in trap speeds would spell humiliation for the Z06 from a roll. I've raced my Viper against heads/cam/exhaust Z06 Corvettes before (those trap 132-133 usually) and they get the initial jump on me by about a car, car and a half. That is because they are all-motor and don't have to wait for boost to ramp in. As soon as the Paxton begins building boost in 3rd gear, I've got within their bumper, then in 4th the Viper will creep on past. The bad part is usually the race is over by then, most people would not be crazy enough to roll past 140-150. For that reason, I'd give the edge to a Z06 with heads/cam/exhaust for roll racing 80-150. They are surprisingly quick at 560 rwhp and 3100 lbs, with no boost lag.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess this just continues to prove that the Paxton set up is only good for RWHP numbers and not actual performance on the strip. I wish we could get a Roe blown car to the track which will no doubt get you into the tens. Nice run on the Z. Great pics too.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess this just continues to prove that the Paxton set up is only good for RWHP numbers and not actual performance on the strip. I wish we could get a Roe blown car to the track which will no doubt get you into the tens. Nice run on the Z. Great pics too.

WRONG

Have you ever had a Roe or Paxton car?

Paxtons are great for street cars or going mid 10's. The right driver can pull some good times. With a stock Paxton(7lbs) and run flats my best time has been a 11.30. With drag radials it was a 10.91.

Turned up the boost to 12lbs, added Pirellis and some more goodies and pulled 10.40 @ 139.9. Now I have turned the boost up to 15lbs and with the same Pirellis will try to run a 10.2 next weekend in Bradenton.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richie is right, the results I came away with prove nothing about the potential of the Paxton setup. 135 mph trap speeds are good for low 10s with traction. I wasn't able to use the full potential of the car on a slick track with 20" radials. Get the 60' times in the 1.8 zone on some drag radials, and the car runs 4.5 tents quicker, easy 10.80s

Gotta look at the trap speeds as the real indicator of power, ET is based on traction alone.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absouloutely I have. I would not talk without first hand experience. I had a Roe blown car and ran a best of 10.37 at 132. It is very rareto see a post even close to a mid 10 sec run with a paxton and no engine mods. None the less my 60 ft time was a horrible 1.73. I have only seen post of 11 sec plus runs without any engine modifications. If I thought that just bolting on a Paxton and some headers and exhaust and gears would get me well into the tens I would have already bolted one on. Paxton in MY opinion is all show and very little go. Just bragging rights for high Peak only HP numbers. I recall several supercharger and exhaust only Roe cars making 10 second passes. I just don't see any proof that these paxton cars put any power to the track WITHOUT ENGINE MODS. By the way nice times on your car thats alot of boost for a stock motor. Good luck. I should also mention my car was only 610 RWHP unlike the ground stomping power of the paxton that is putting out 670 or more. Just not a broad enough range of power, peak doesn't mean much it's the usable power you need to get down the track, not the power where you have to shift.
WRONG

Have you ever had a Roe or Paxton car?

Paxtons are great for street cars or going mid 10's. The right driver can pull some good times. With a stock Paxton(7lbs) and run flats my best time has been a 11.30. With drag radials it was a 10.91.

Turned up the boost to 12lbs, added Pirellis and some more goodies and pulled 10.40 @ 139.9. Now I have turned the boost up to 15lbs and with the same Pirellis will try to run a 10.2 next weekend in Bradenton.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonabite, ET is a factor of traction. Trap speed is a better indication of power and potential. My Paxton/catback car went 135 mph, that kind of speed would put a drag car chassis into the 9s easily. I guarantee if I put some drag tires on the car and am able to floor the throttle thru 1st gear, it will go 10s easily. Then the ET will match the MPH. I was suprised to see it hit 135 mph, considering I couldn't go more than half throttle in 1st, shifted early at 5K rpm into 2nd, and couldn't floor it fully until 3rd gear.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine I agree 135 is hauling ass! Put some slicks on that bad boy and you will run 10s! On the street drag radials are the ticket if you are racing!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonabite, ET is a factor of traction. Trap speed is a better indication of power and potential. My Paxton/catback car went 135 mph, that kind of speed would put a drag car chassis into the 9s easily. I guarantee if I put some drag tires on the car and am able to floor the throttle thru 1st gear, it will go 10s easily. Then the ET will match the MPH. I was suprised to see it hit 135 mph, considering I couldn't go more than half throttle in 1st, shifted early at 5K rpm into 2nd, and couldn't floor it fully until 3rd gear.

With that being said.. with traction you will lose mph. I could argure my horrible 60' time and say that if I could have got a low 1.50 or high 1.40 with slicks I would have run a high 9 in the quarter. But that is just not the case. My point of this to begin with is that the corvette will out perform the viper on any given day with not only the same power but with considerably less power. It has been proven time and time again all ovet the country. If some of the people here who think the viper has it all over the corvette and don't believe in what I'm saying just go to drag times and look for yourself. I can't wait to see some Roe cars at the track and see that with less horsepower it runs quicker than a paxton. Only time will tell but I'm willing to throw some cash on the dash for that race.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32