Supercharger System Update, Programmable Fuel / Timing Control...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

With feedback from our introductory run of Superchargers, we're seeing the need on some cars to control / retard ignition timing. Since we now have over a dozen kits out there, we're beginning to see the range of tolerance in the cars. I've consulted with EFI systems, who provided our tuning support during development, who assured us this type of finding is not uncommon on a new product launch (good to hear since my heart sank when I heard we had some ping).

For now, we're purchasing the MSD boost referenced timing retard box #8665. The function of this box is to remove timing as the boost comes on. So far, only some cars need it, mainly the ones with low octane gas. The positive displacement Supercharger makes instant full boost, so that means you have a lot of power at even 2,000 - 3,000 RPM,. This is the range the timing retard is needed in some cars. The MSD box is $159 and we're covering the cost since we took deposits at a set introductory kit price of $6,495.

Since we're spending money on something like this, we have decided to see what else is out there to use, for slightly more money, which could perhaps allow us to make even more power. There are a few options available right now.

One option, which we received on Monday, is a laptop programmable system. It manipulates the MAP sensor signals and crankshaft position sensor signals to control fuel and timing. It has a 3D mapping feature which would also allow us to say, take out timing advance at 2,000 - 3,000 RPM, maybe add some back in between 3,100 and 4,800 RPM, etc... This one is programmed by linking up to a PC with a serial cable.

Our Supercharger manufacturer (Autorotor) has another option we're looking at which is capable of driving the injectors and coil packs itself, as opposed to manipulating engine sensor signals to the PCM. We're talking back and forth about it now. To set it up right, we either have to get one of their engineers here or get a car in Sweden. The control box uses a memory card to store different setups. So, you could have a low octane setup and a race setup card. It also stores data. It looks like the best setup so far as it has very specific control of the fuel and timing.

Both of these controls are in the $500 range and are plenty capable (overkill) for the timing control needed in our standard SC kit. The biggest reasons we're looking at now doing this is to give us the control we need in order to make more HP, while also taking care of the immediate needs in timing retard. At 600 RWHP, we've seemed to reach the end of what the factory PCM can handle well. As we've added boost recently, the torque has increased (627 RWTQ with another 3/4 pound of boost), but the HP has not gone up so much.

I'll keep you all posted with results, including dyno results as we go along. Just wanted to let you know what we are working on.

Sean

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First class service, Sean!

I know that if my system (#27) costs just a bit more for a significantly improved engine / fuel management, I'd rather pony up some more money than see you go broke on R&D. Given your history of excellent products, I'm also ready to wait until you're happy with the solution.

Are you ready for some high altitude (~6000ft) low octane (~91) testing? I know I am!

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second Joe Dozzo's comment. Sean your putting out a hell of a system - keep your profit and charge us for the extras!

Steve

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EdmontonGTS:
I second Joe Dozzo's comment. Sean your putting out a hell of a system - keep your profit and charge us for the extras!

Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that LOYALTY or what!!! Even with all the past negativity,
and name calling on the board, VCA members show their true
colors when it really counts!! NOW BUST THAT!!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EdmontonGTS:

Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I agree also.

And as long as Steve is buying, I'll take 2.

Looks like all the R&D has really paid off. Many satisfied customers.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If going to something like this I believe you also need to be in control of the injectors. Looks like option 1 does not and option 2 does. It can be done, but on the aftermarket controller I have used its tough to get driveability as good as the factory pcm. The only experience I have on this is with the Speed Pro (F.A.S.T.) pcm on a centrifical s/c car.

Edit: That said, the more things the user can control (injectors,etc) the harder to tune. My main concern is drivability/smoothness.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
Thanks for the excellent customer service. Given the choice, I would opt for the laptop programmable system. If it takes a little more time and I need to kick down a little more dough then it'll be worth it.

On another note, my fuel pump is going out and needs to be replaced. I've heard this is a common problem. But at 11K miles, I'm not real impressed with the quality of such an important component. What would you recommend for a replacement fuel pump (that's better then OEM)?

Thanks again for your service and commitment.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, from talking to Sean the other day, I think option 1 can control secondary or additional injectors, but not the 10 primary injectors. Option 2 can control the existing injectors.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Keith,

There are a few options out there. The Perfect Power system was a consideration, but is not the direction we're currently headed. I'll have better details and plans this week.

Sean

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be looking forward to the info Sean. Don't take my post as being negative toward some type of controller. I just don't want a weekend car, mine is and will be a daily driver. Like I said driveability is my main concern and I have no doubt that it is a main concern of yours also. tnx,

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

"To set it up right, we either have to get one of their engineers here or get a car in Sweden."

Since i'm also in the process of finding a PC based ignition/fuel system, will I gladly help you with the testing here in Sweden.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JP,
Your '95 RT/10 has a different PCM and wiring harness than the cars our Supercharger currently fits. The solution we work out may also work for your model year (and naturally aspirated cars), but I have to take care of the Supercharged cars first. We have a Viper owner in Sweden with a '98 GTS that has offered to help. We're working to get everyone together now.

In the mean-time, we have been testing one of the programmable signal conditioner boxes. I have one on our GTS now and it does give us more control over the fuel and spark curves. This one will be coming off and going to one of the customer cars who needs it soon.

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 10-26-2002 at 09:54 AM</font>

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean

I really look forward to purchasing a kit in the near future. There seems to be alot of discussion lately regarding fuel and timing which I know is part of getting a new system worked out. However, for us guys with stock cars(except hi-flow cats, tubes and filters, cat back) is this system something we can bolt on and drive everyday.
In a nut shell I am looking for a S/C I can bolt on and have reliable power without being under the hood every week.
It seems you have done an incredible job addressing all of the issues that have arose and have made this system as simple as one can be.
Thanks for your time and effort!

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
J Smith,

The system was built with everyday use and driveability in mind (that's what I use my car for). That's one of the reasons we set it up to use the stock PCM initially (the KISS principle).

What we have found though is that there are tolerance differences in the cars that have to be addressed. For example, two cars with the same mods and the same model year with the same fuel. One car may run 100% perfect, the other gets a slight ping at 4,000 RPM. This is the hurdle that must be overcome with any DIY SC kit (Viper or otherwise).

What we're working on now is creating a solution which will give us the ability to directly control the injector pulse width and coil firing. This approach is better than altering the signal inputs into the PCM (manifold air pressure sensor signal, crankshaft position sensor signal and oxygen sensor signals), be it with a dial or a cell offset on a program, which then changes how the PCM runs the engine.

We're sending some parts to the company in Sweden for the initial testing next week. We have been contacted by a Viper GTS owner there who will is able to help us. It looks like I'll be flying over and installing a Supercharger there in about 3 to 4 weeks if all goes well. I have my fingers crossed that we can make this solution work as it has the greatest potential for both forced induction and perhaps naturally aspirated.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks for your continued support.

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 10-30-2002 at 04:56 PM</font>