Superchargers and power brakes

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to share the issue I had and my solution for those that might not know. I have built several supercharged cars but I've always used mechanical brakes. My Viper came supercharged and obviously with power brakes. During the Ohio Viper Club Regional event last year I had a conversation with Marv during the autocross event. At the end of every run my Viper felt like it wouldn't stop. I was standing on the brake pedal and the car was still rolling. It reminded me of an old car I owned that had the power brake booster fail. Long story short, the multiple uses of my brakes while under boost doesn't allow for the vacuum to store fast enough to assist braking. This could be hazardous in certain situations. My fix was to add a vacuum canister. It taps into the hose between the intake and the power booster. I originally installed the check valve backwards and ended up plugging it shut. I didn't realized it until I was driving today and it finally became dislodged as I lightly tapped the brakes and became a projectile.

There's not much room in the engine compartment, I removed the wheel well panel and tucked it inside.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
L

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, i haven't put the car into the same situation yet to use up all the vacuum. I'm on the Hot Rod Power Tour now and will run the auto cross. I'll post up how it goes. The check valve is the plastic 90degree fitting in the first photo. Looks just like the one in the power booster.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's interesting. I ran the 1/2 mile event with my car and I felt like I couldn't get stopped. I figured it was just because I was going so fast. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth