Switch to 3.55 gears

Slammed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on pros cons of switching to 3.55 gears on my 02 GTS.

Rich

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switched to 3.55 past summer.I love them,the difference is not drastic,but is very noticeable,the car is easier to drive through all gears.I would reccommend new PSII or the like as original tires will kill you or disappear in a heartbeat with the lower gears.The best mod I have done to date.If you are thinking of SC/TT in the future don't waste your money on gears as the extra power/3.55 makes hookup impossible.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Slammed, I think I saw you driving on the Fairfax County Parkway a month or so ago. This would have been near Franklin Farm.

Snorman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are thinking of SC/TT in the future don't waste your money on gears as the extra power/3.55 makes hookup impossible.
+1
I went from 3.55's back to stock 3.07's when the Paxton went on the car.
At 900+ rwhp, you don't want more gear.
S.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's one of the better upgrades for the Viper. It makes the car better in every gear and makes 5th/6th useable. Should cost about $1k total for parts/install.

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's one of the better upgrades for the Viper. It makes the car better in every gear and makes 5th/6th useable. Should cost about $1k total for parts/install.

With 3.55 gears does the car actually have the power now to pull to redline in 6th or is it still drag limited?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 3.55 gears does the car actually have the power now to pull to redline in 6th or is it still drag limited?

The chip will shut it down.

Depending on year, like my '01 GTS, theoretical top speed is 312 mph. From the 180 limit on the chip. Switching from 3:07's to 3:55's will not drop you below 180 mph.

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Depending on year, like my '01 GTS, theoretical top speed is 312 mph. From the 180 limit on the chip. Switching from 3:07's to 3:55's will not drop you below 180 mph.

viper have a speed limiter? that's news to me i remember reading in one of motor trend's top speed shootouts they got a gts to 190+ mph radar verified.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing out the gearing is 1 of the best mods for the dollar you can do. Agree that if you are closing in on doubling the HP you might want different gearing but personally I would rather mess with the computer to help w/ torque management

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had 3:73's with the Roe S/C on my Gen 1 and loved them. Now with the 05 I have 3:55's with the Paxton and would never think of going back to the 3:07's! Total drivability is improved, and 5th and 6th gears are MUCH better on the open road!

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on pros cons of switching to 3.55 gears on my 02 GTS.

Rich

Since you asked for pros and cons and haven't gotten any cons yet, I'll add my .02. If you like shifting more, then go ahead and spend the money on the new gears. Just realize that you won't change your 1/4 mile time (just ask anyone who's run their car before and after the switch.) It takes increased horsepower or weight reduction to do that.

DrDJ

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not aware of any chip on a GenII viper.

I think 3:45s are a better choice...3:33s may be the best all round gear if you can find them. From 0-150, there is not a big difference in ET due to shift points and RPM. 0-top end is a different story---but how often will that happen? The weak spot with non - stock gearing is track use where you will run out of 3rd gear on many tracks and have to shift up and back down again quickly (unless you have a blower) and 100-150 where a stock Viper is still pulling hard in 3rd/4th while you're in 4th / 5th ........even worse is 120-150 where the stock car will pick up much of the lost ground as 3.55s are in overdrive and the stock Viper is pulling hard in a 1.1 ratio. There are tradeoffs for changing the gearing.

Our car has 3.45s, 5 pound Roe, high lift roller rockers, and a lightweight flywheel. I am quite happy with the set up. No traction issues which can't be controlled. The new PS2 is a great tire!! I absolutely do not shift any more than I used to. I may shift even less as 5th and 6th are very usable in traffic. With the blower, 5th pulls like a 4.5 gear for a comparison. Gas mileage on trips dropped 1.5 MPG with just the gears. Money happily spent for the added punch.

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then we shall call it the PCM?

Regardless of where or what it is, I'll put my money on the reason my owner's manual says 180 mph max speed is because something in that car limits it.

No. In a Gen II that's when you hit the wall in an RT/10. .74 OD can't push it any faster. The aerodynamics of a GTS will get you to the low 190s in some car books.

Steve

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then we shall call it the PCM?

Regardless of where or what it is, I'll put my money on the reason my owner's manual says 180 mph max speed is because something in that car limits it.

So, you don't know WHERE it is or WHAT it is, but your putting your money on it?

I've got a bridge to sell ya...

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We was at The Rock a couple/three years ago running 1/4 miles. Club member has a '93? RT-10 with stock everything except the 3.73. IT WAS FAST. It was unbeleivable how much better it made it. His son actually won the Viper Shoot out in it. Lic# H8toW8 (nc)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently watched a Video of a mild bolt on 478 rwhp SRT10 with 3.55 gears pulling on a C6Z06 by a car from 70-140 mph....Ive got a 470 rwhp SRT10 and always loose to my buddies stock C6Z06 by .5-1.5 cars from these same speeds...The 8 rwhp more that the SRT10 in the video has is only gonna bring him .5 of a car more up....It was the gears that made the differance..

I also recently watched a Video of a 460 rwhp full bolt on RT10 with 3.73 gears racing a C6Z06...They were dead even from 60-150 mph...

Now a very reliable source gave me his wisdom reguarding gears...Saying that you'll be faster from 0-90 mph with 3.55's but at 90 mph the stock 3.07 geared Viper will start creeping up and you will both finish the 1/4 mile at the same time....

But based on the recent vids of geared Vipers VS C6Z06's...Well I just dont know..

As well may people say your slower with gears because you require and extra shift????????

Ive dragged my SRT10 around 40 times and if I hold out till 59,500 rpm's in third gear Ill shift into 4th gear at 118 mph..."keep in ming though that Im trapping 119-124 mph...And maybe im shifting only 100 ft before the 1/4 mile line..But Im still shifting into fourth...

If I changed to 3.55 gears..Do I shift into 5th in the 1/4 mile?????Because if it's just 4th gear at around 100 mph...Well whats the differrance?

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently watched a Video of a mild bolt on 478 rwhp SRT10 with 3.55 gears pulling on a C6Z06 by a car from 70-140 mph....Ive got a 470 rwhp SRT10 and always loose to my buddies stock C6Z06 by .5-1.5 cars from these same speeds...The 8 rwhp more that the SRT10 in the video has is only gonna bring him .5 of a car more up....It was the gears that made the differance..

I also recently watched a Video of a 460 rwhp full bolt on RT10 with 3.73 gears racing a C6Z06...They were dead even from 60-150 mph...

Now a very reliable source gave me his wisdom reguarding gears...Saying that you'll be faster from 0-90 mph with 3.55's but at 90 mph the stock 3.07 geared Viper will start creeping up and you will both finish the 1/4 mile at the same time....

But based on the recent vids of geared Vipers VS C6Z06's...Well I just dont know..

As well may people say your slower with gears because you require and extra shift????????

Ive dragged my SRT10 around 40 times and if I hold out till 59,500 rpm's in third gear Ill shift into 4th gear at 118 mph..."keep in ming though that Im trapping 119-124 mph...And maybe im shifting only 100 ft before the 1/4 mile line..But Im still shifting into fourth...

If I changed to 3.55 gears..Do I shift into 5th in the 1/4 mile?????Because if it's just 4th gear at around 100 mph...Well whats the differrance?

3.55, 4th gear should be something like, 5500=121 / 6000=130 at least for a genII, can't imagine it being that far off.

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister,
Don't know what the numbers say or vidieos, but the whole Carolinas VCA was at Mopars at The Rock. 400 HP RT-10 verses ''the club"". My is an Arrow Racing Gen II Engine. and I got spanked!

OP
OP
S

Slammed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes that was probably me I live in Centreville and work in Reston so I'm around that area a lot.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the swap and it was not worth it. I later sold the 3.55 axle to a club member.
According to some the 5th and 6th gear are more "usable". Thats true, but it comes with a price. Currently it is the 4th gear that pulls really hard, that will change into a 5th after the gears. I raced my car against most of the PA club members cars and from 100-150 got killed every single time. Even Ed's wife gave me a beating...:mad: Only change was the gears. My car made at that point 410HP/766TQ, so its not a weak GEN 1.

If you like to rip in town through 1-3 gears, go ahead, it does that well.

If you prefer some highway pulls, dont do it... For me it was a total waste of money. And the 1/4 mile times did not improve either.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the swap and it was not worth it. I later sold the 3.55 axle to a club member.
According to some the 5th and 6th gear are more "usable". Thats true, but it comes with a price. Currently it is the 4th gear that pulls really hard, that will change into a 5th after the gears. I raced my car against most of the PA club members cars and from 100-150 got killed every single time. Even Ed's wife gave me a beating...:mad: Only change was the gears. My car made at that point 410HP/766TQ, so its not a weak GEN 1.

If you like to rip in town through 1-3 gears, go ahead, it does that well.

If you prefer some highway pulls, dont do it... For me it was a total waste of money. And the 1/4 mile times did not improve either.
So are you running 3:73? I have 3:73 in my viper but was told that they will eventually blow. Ever heard that? It was Dan at DC that told me that. I do have a couple spares in my garage. I really enjoy this gear setup.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends how you "enjoy" the car I don't race,organized anyway and while I do run the car through the gears hard it's not sometthing I do all the time.If I did I probably would have the same opinion.I guess it depends how you "enjoy" the car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang