Texas no front plate crackdown????

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of you Texas folks heard that the Texas police are suppose to start cracking down on no front plates under the new "blocked" license plate law?

I heard something about a $200+ :mad: fine for no front plates... Any substance to this rumor???? :confused:

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sister-in-law works for a lawyer and the week after Sept 1 two co-workers were cited for having "license plate FRAMES" on their REAR plates! I haven't heard of anything since then.
The cops where I live are supposed to be assholes. I saw one Sunday Night tailgate a car from a stoplight. The car sped up to get the "[******]" off his bumper, not knowing who was behind him, then the cop lit him up and pulled him over for 60 in a 50.

Assholes, but no license plate issue yet.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing yet.

Voluntary cosmetic tax. Doesn't affect your record or insurance so I just take my chances that I'll have to pay the FLT some day.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, it is nice to live in NC and not have any front plate requirement or "cosmetic plate frame" ticket issues.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PENNSYLVANIA, no plates in front!!! YEHAA!!!!!

But it snows 4 months of the year, which one's worse??

Lauri

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For you guys in North Texas, stay out of Addison. I got a ticket a several years ago for not having a front plate. I did not even know it was against the law then. Apparently it has been for years. It just depends if the city/county wanted to enforce it. Those yuppie cops (driving Volvo's at the time) will pull you over for anything. Guess they have to find some creative methods to pay for all of the new Volvos. :eek:

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been stop in Ohio for the same thing. He gave me a warning but it is still CRAP!! Haven’t put it on yet. :2tu: :headbang:

HOTRODJOHN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bigger news is that since Sept. 1, 2003 drag racing is a class B misdemeanor, that means that the cops can easily throw you in jail on the spot. Im around cops a lot and have spoken to ones from Irving and Grand Prairie and Dallas and they said they will enforce this as a class b and put you in jail. I thought that they might rather issue a ticket because the city would then get the big fine if your found guilty. Dont you know they would love to put a viper driver in jail for racing...

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The incorporated cities are the worst, they will ticket you if have a bad hair cut, they depend on this money to pay their salaries. But lately it is those cities pushing front plate laws which have cameras mounted on traffic lights, they need pictures of you entering and leaving the intersection with your license plate. Smile! :)

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive both an M5 and a Viper. Niether one has a front license plate. Nice thing about it is that we're so close to New Mexico that since they don't have a front license plate law its easy to not be spotted.

As far as the drag racing is concerned, one nice thing about the Viper is that its so smooth in many cases it would be hard to tell you were drag racing.

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well. Guess I am going to give in to the pressure. Living in the Addison, Allen, Plano, Dallas area is enough to know that there are enough friendly police officers that have nothing better to do then pull me over for no front plate. :(

I'm one of the those (dare I say it :eek: ) "budget" viper owners. Even a $70 dollar ticket is more money than I want to waste on something as stupid as no front plate.

I'm going to install a custom holder this weekend with parts from my local Home Depot. Shouldn't be a big deal - I just hate the look of the thing on my front bumper... :(

Maybe some day I'll be "wealthy" enough to just not care, but until then I'm living the dream :2tu: and will "donate" to the local police departments on my terms and not theirs. :headbang:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm one of the those (dare I say it :eek: ) "budget" viper owners. Even a $70 dollar ticket is more money than I want to waste on something as stupid as no front plate.

Hey, I feel ya, I'm there too, gotta fight the power! :headbang:

You might want to check into one of those suction cup front plates, or find a reason to "move" to another state and get registered elsewhere, e.g. NM or NC.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they need pictures of you entering and leaving the intersection with your license plate. Smile! :)

Actually there is already technology which can track you by recogonizing the letters in your liscense plate. Plan on in the future having "traffic studdies" which show driving patterns for millions of motorists. This means that you are being tracked. Usually im not to afraid of tracking measures, but in this case I have a lead foot, bad driving habbit to hide, and Im not afraid to admit that im not a fan of this technology.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a nominal fee, I'll rent you my address here in the no front license plate state of Georgia. We've lived in New Jersey-- same dumb law up there. John

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect if you were to "rent" an address, that FL would be the best place to do it from, as I don't think there is any auto property tax, just the standard yearly license plate fees (which seem to range from $20-50 among the states, and whether the plate is personalized). Can anyone confirm the late of personal property tax / auto tax in FL?

Thus, if I'm right, the FL tag gets you:
1. no required front plate
2. no limitation on your window tint (?)
3. no auto property tax

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My brother, who is a CHP, said that even if your state doesnt require a front plate, if you go to a state that does, you can still get a ticket. He usually doesn't worry about it but if you have tinting on your windows and go to California your car is considered illegal. I keep saying this, but isn't is great to live in California. :(

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built the brackets last night for the front plate bracket. Sure is going to stop a LOT of airflow to the radiator. I sure hope this doesn't dramatically affect my heat build up in the summer. Dallas gets pretty hot in the summer. Guess I'll just have to try it and see.

I'll post pictures since the search on the board doesn't have the old ones with the "G" shaped bracket. All materials cost less than $10.

I'll have it together this weekend and then I'm LEGAL. :smirk:

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand? If your state doesn't require a front plate (AR doesn't) and I drive to Texas how can they give me a ticket?

Bill