The all-new 2013 SRT Viper: redefining the American Supercar... From Dupont Registry

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: The all-new 2013 SRT Viper: redefining the American Supercar... From Dupont Regis

I can't see how Lotus V8 Esprit, NSX etc are exotic/supercars but a Viper isn't. The terms sportscar/exotic/supercar has evolved since its inception imho to include the vast variety of performance cars/mfg's that didn't exist back then. Even back in the 70's/80's a sportscar/exotic/supercar came from an elite few mfg's like Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, Porsche etc. Those cars/mfg's defined those terms in those days.

The automotive landscape is far different since then and the definitions need to be updated to reflect that. I mean come on you have exotics/supercars/sportscars poping up all over the place from out of no where like Pagani, Konigsegg. Also from econocar mfg's like Nissan and Honda.

So why does a car that outperforms most of them on track, looks better then some, cost the same as some of the supercars/exotics not considered to be exotic. I havent heard one logical answer to this from the naysayers. There may be no right or wrong answer to this topic but at least make a logical argument.

Last edited:

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: The all-new 2013 SRT Viper: redefining the American Supercar... From Dupont Regis

I have to laugh here:lmao: Nobody seems to have a problem calling the Nissan GT-R a super car and the damn thing is looks like a 3.8 V6 Turbo Altima with AWD:rolleyes:

THIS. and the GTR has a backseat!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys will argue about anything :>)

It does not fit perfectly into any category. No need to parse words and try to make it fit...it is a VIPER! Has it's own category.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys will argue about anything :>)

It does not fit perfectly into any category. No need to parse words and try to make it fit...it is a VIPER! Has it's own category.

Finally found its spot !!
Can we say a "Unique car"???

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Supercar.

Im sure some of you live in lala land were everyone of your neibors and friends makes a 100k-300k a year and quite a few of them can afford a viper.

I live in reality were my friends and coworkers make 30-80k a year. You know. The low and high average of right around 50k.

Ive got one buddy whos a million air and has a gallardo supra nsx z06 and gtr. Then another 300k a year buddy who has a 1000 hp gtr.

The other 98% of my friends family and coworkers average out to 50k a year.

You ask any of them about an 90k viper and heck yea its a supercar. Your average person is struggling to pay for that 35k acura in this economy. Ask any of them about a 110-140k viper and again the same thing. Most defiently supercar priceing to your average person.

It cant simply be about price and performance though.

A fully optioned z06 is 97k and faster straight line or on a track than just about anything from italy.

So it has the performance and pricetag. but it is missing the rarity and visual. Its a nice looking car but gets diluted by all the base c6s.

Supercar....price....performance......looks....rarity

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Million Air" LMBO.........priceless....

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh mang!

If I was a Million Air - I would also own too many Guy Yardo's!

Jeem :D

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I love my Viper but it is hardly a supercar. Its more than just speed in my opinion to qualify as a supercar. I know guys who drag cars. They can have ten grand in a car and run 9s at the strip. Are those supercars? The Viper is an American muscle car. If you want to call it a American supercar then ok, but then so is the Corvette. I don't like Corvettes so much but I do put the Viper in that class of car. A supercar is speed, design, quality and sophistication. There are alot of cars out there faster than the Viper and certainly more sophisticated. Granted most of them, not all but most, are true supercars with the price to match. I certainly hope that 137k rumor is just that, a rumor. If it turns out that is the base price, then I suspect alot of Vipers will sit unsold.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love my Viper but it is hardly a supercar. Its more than just speed in my opinion to qualify as a supercar. I know guys who drag cars. They can have ten grand in a car and run 9s at the strip. Are those supercars? The Viper is an American muscle car. If you want to call it a American supercar then ok, but then so is the Corvette. I don't like Corvettes so much but I do put the Viper in that class of car. A supercar is speed, design, quality and sophistication. There are alot of cars out there faster than the Viper and certainly more sophisticated. Granted most of them, not all but most, are true supercars with the price to match. I certainly hope that 137k rumor is just that, a rumor. If it turns out that is the base price, then I suspect alot of Vipers will sit unsold.

Wrong. You're mixing apples and oranges with your "9's at the track arguement". Plus those cars handle like a$$ because they are built for one purpose. Also, if you don't think that a Viper has speed, design, quality and sophistication; perhaps you own the wrong car? Why do you own a Viper?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Muscle cars dont corner at a world class level like the Viper always did.

Using your definition of Supercar: Why is a GTR, Audi R8, NSX, Lotus Esprit V8 etc considered supercars? The Viper is faster than all of them, cost around what they cost, looks better imho and now has a comparable interior and fit and finish. In the past a supercar was simply a car with superlative speed and handling, rarity, presense and driver involvement which was ranked over ergonomics etc. Up until the NSX came out that is. Now all of a sudden it has to be sophisticated, refined and super expensive before its a supercar.

Look at the old supercars like Lotus Esprit, Porsche 911's, Ferrari's pre NSX. Most of them had a raw edge to them and were difficult to drive from what Ive read and heard from owners and mags. As time went on they got more refined to where they are today. So now the definition has changed it seems. The original Viper was a retro supercar imho and fit the original formula of a supercar. Now its been updated to fit the current definition of the term imho of course.

To say the use of carbon fiber, magnesium, composites, aluminum, high end sound system etc in the new Viper is not a function of design and sophistication is ludacrous imho. This new Viper was designed to be quality, more sophisticated and be superior in performance to even some of the best exotic/supercars on the road. If we use your own definition of supercar it fits.

However like most things in life there are LEVELS. You have lower-end and higher-end of the supercar spectrum. The Viper fits the lower end of the supercar spectrum when it comes to snobby things like cache, name brand, and practical things like price. But in terms of performance, racing heritage, looks, rarity, icon status [for those that care] it plays at the highest end of the supercar spectrum. Quite and accomplishment.

It is indeed a super-calafragilistik xp aleedocious-car. imho

Now the head lights..........lol..nevermind.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is a Ford GT a supercar?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can I get a hell yeah???

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper is regarded by the vast majority of people as one of the most extreme performance street legal cars because it just plain is. Screw the euro fanboys that resent being spanked by the Viper

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In order to get peoples attention it sems more and more companies/people are using the words Super, Awesome, Superior, to objects that just don't deserve it. It' s done for effect and to draw people in. Its also designed to make people paint a certain picture in their mind as they are viewing whatever. They want you to buy whatever the hell it is that they are selling and they will use whaatever words it takes to seperate you from your money. Marketing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi