The beginning of a very bad trend.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see.New viper doesn't look like a Viper.IMHO.Designed by a Toyota designer.A very nice car indeed.Next a nav station, and can cup holders,auto trans etc be far behind?While corvette wins lemans,Vipers go drifting.Corvette looks more like a Viper than the new Viper.Corvette will be coming out with a superior power to weight ratio,beter brakes,handling.......Lutz and Wolfgang are at GM.... Bruce

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see.New viper doesn't look like a Viper.IMHO.Designed by a Toyota designer.A very nice car indeed.Next a nav station, and can cup holders,auto trans etc be far behind?While corvette wins lemans,Vipers go drifting.Corvette looks more like a Viper than the new Viper.Corvette will be coming out with a superior power to weight ratio,beter brakes,handling.......Lutz and Wolfgang are at GM.... Bruce
I was thinking the same thing! :mad:

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WAKE UP "DC"!! We are on the verge of a 2006 corvette z06 sneaking up from behind us that's suppose to be a "viper killer". If we don't keep an eye on our back door,Mr.Lutz and Mr. Wolfgang, are going to back door us good. The alledged power to weight ratio should be enough for a wake up call to us all!....... Wake Up! Wake Up! Wake Up!Wake Up!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since when does the new viper not look like a viper? i totally disagree with you on that point. i just sold my 02 rt/10 and purchased a new 03. let me make you aware of a couple of things. the srt is sooooooooooo much more refined then you can possibly know. braking is just unreal. the handling is night and day compare to gen I and II. the shock and awe factor is just as good. last night i went to a car cruise in and the guy who bought my 02 met me there, more people were in awe of the 03 compared to the 02. dont get me wrong i love all vipers just to bad you dont seem to feel the same. i suggest you go drive one then post again.

tom

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wolfgang in not employed at GM. He would be the logical fit, but nothing will happen too soon.

I wouldn't panic just yet. I doubt the Viper will be passed anytime in the near future. Have some faith in the Team at SRT. If you and me are reading this don't you think they are? They have no intentions of letting the Viper fall to second class status. These guys don't know how to come in second.

As for the racing, that has nothing to do with Viper but everything to do with NASCAR. All the racing budget is with NASCAR.

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry wanted, but I have to disagree. I drove a 03 at the dealer that I bought my 02 from and I like the 02 far better for my use. I agree the 03 is probably a better car if you drive it for an everyday car. I know some dont like the rough and uncivilized aspects of the Gen I and II cars, but those traits are the traits that made me decide on a Gen II over a Gen III. I personally like a car that is a challenge to drive, and to me the 02 had more of that kind of feel than the 03. The 03 is still a great car, just not my cup of tea.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Wanted my fellow Viper brother it your looking for attention the GTS is the way to go the reinging king of all Vipers!!! The SRT has at best average looks. The GTS was rated by Dupont Registry as the 3rd best sports car of the century behind Diablo and McLaren!!! Yeah baby!!!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at least you drove one, that i can respect. by the way before i received mine i test drove a 04 and didn't get a very good feeling, however after mine was delivered and i drove it for a longer period of time thats when my mind really changed. the gen III is a challenge to drive, i would say more so with the additional horeses and torque. oh well to each their own at least we both agree that a viper is the car to own, be it GEN i, II or III. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Wanted my fellow Viper brother it your looking for attention the GTS is the way to go the reinging king of all Vipers!!! The SRT has at best average looks. The GTS was rated by Dupont Registry as the 3rd best sports car of the century behind Diablo and McLaren!!! Yeah baby!!!

hey now when they voted the srt wasn't made yet, lets wait and see on the next vote. but for now ya got me , lmfao. :2tu:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So what if Corvette is winning a couple of races.We've won those already and the only reason Corvette couldn't win them in the past cause all they saw was our rears! I rarely ever saw a vette in lemans pass one of the vipers except the one race where they were side by side and the viper went in the gravel.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have faith in DC! They are doing a great job with other cars(300, Magnum, SRT4, Ram, etc), they'll bring us what we want right when it's needed! :2tu:
The SRT-10 is a GREAT car. Not what everyone wanted, but still a great car!
I am sure they know the next move has to be a BIG one for the Viper! We have seen some ideas with the Carbon SRT-10, so they are on it. I just hope they grab their NUTS again like they did when they made the 1st RT/10, and make the next Viper one that will scream BADDASS!!! :headbang:

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah but you GTS boys cant take the top off and we all know women love to ride with the top off. :2tu: Eh, the GTS is still one bad car I might have to get one to go with the RT, maybe Ill even warm up to the Gen III's who knows. All I can say is I have been snake bit. :headbang:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never did understand drifting with a Comp Coupe...such a waste of engineering.
Ya, I know it was modified for it...

That's like prepping a full sized Lincoln for the drag strip .

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, don't panic.
The Viper is king and will remain king.
The boys at Dodge are not going to let some upstart take the crown.
I am sure they are always working towards an even more lethal Viper.

The new Vette and others are still trying to play catch up

"There is no replacement for displacement"

:usa:

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While corvette wins lemans,Vipers go drifting.Corvette looks more like a Viper than the new Viper.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know how long you have been watching Lemans and road racing. If you check history you will see the Vipers totally dominated for like 3 years in a row. Corvettes cried the blues for retrictions to slow the Viper down and add speed to the Vettes. Nothing more for Dodge to proof , been there done that.

Dodge pulled out to focus on Nascar a new challenge. If you want to see Vipers race then start watching World Challenge racing where you will see at least a dozen Vipers on the track racing Vettes, Porsche, Audi, Cadillac, Mustang, etc. Tommy Archer 2nd in points driving the #22 Viper. This is some great racing with big name drivers. :2tu: :usa: Oh by the way the new Vette copied the new SRT10 Viper in looks. Don't worry we have always been the leader and they will always be the followers! :D

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put the pipe down, the genIII is not, was never, and will never be as outrageous or provoke such visual awe-inspired responses as a GenI or GenII, period. the handling and braking are definitely the best of the best on the GenIII; fortunately nothing some serious upgrades and a checkbook cannot get for the GenII though.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, if you look at the evolution of the Viper, it has definitely progressed from brute Gen I to civilized Gen III. Based on the Viper registry, here's some comfort/safety changes over time:-

- AC became standard in 96
- Air bags in 96
- Power windows in 97
- Power mirrors in 99
- ABS in 2001

The Gen III has all of the above and does not have the drop dead gorgeous looks of the GTS. But what it does have is better performance, both straight line and twisties. But the field is rapidly getting crowded with numerous 400+hp vehicles, some carrying 5 people!

That said, I feel the trend as indicated by the past 12 years is moving towards a more comfortable ride and the Gen IV may even look like a ricer.

DC, please wake up and give us our brute without the creature comforts.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC has no intentions of losing the power/speed war.

Viper motor is rumored to have some "upgrades" in the works. Most work is in the top of the motor. First run was rumored over 700HP. Z-0 what?

GTS is my favorite then GEN 1 then lastly GEN 3 (Gen 3 is too soft in the back for me and intake looks boring),but hey I love them all.

Don't worry about DC, they won't be left in the dust

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no question the GenII has style all over the GenIII. There is also no question that the GenIII will hand the GenII their *** on the track, ultimately that is what matters.

GenIII is a decent looking car but it isn't jaw-dropping like the previous gens.

I'd like to see the Viper continue raising the performance bar and bring back a radical styling and curves at the same time. Is that possible?

And dump the cupholder.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the srt is sooooooooooo much more refined then you can possibly know. braking is just unreal. the handling is night and day compare to gen I and II.
tom

I have driven an SRT-10. You are right, it is soooooooooo much more refined. That is why I love the 2 GenII's that I own that much more. Driving a GenII is equal to driving a race car. I know this because why????? I race cars, and get paid to do so.

No doubt the GenIII is much more refined. I call it tamed down. For some that is the greatest thing about it. I loved the drive I took in it. I loved the handling and braking, and the acceleration, a real convertible was a plus too. I even have already bought my raffle tickets for the GenIII raffle car.

But driving a car that you need to "be able" to drive and that requires "real" driver input is what makes first TWO generations of Vipers so great.

I would own a GenIII in a heartbeat, I just wouldn't give up my Gen II's to do so.

Oh yea.... I have to go Gen I and II for looks, hands down.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Bruce, you are right on the money, unfortunately.

The new SRT is bland in comparison and the new z06 will probably be a better car with equal or even better styling than a srt. Can't say the same about the Gen I/II. They were timeless designs with raw, unmatched power.

DC fell asleep at the wheel. While the new c6 isn't terrific styling, it is at least as nice looking as the SRT. It seems like every great automobile has their mediocre generation, and this just might be it for the Viper. For example, look at the gen III corvette, 74-82. In terms of styling, they are generally the least sought after corvettes, and most sell between $4 and $6K, while others are considerably more. Just my opinion, but I guess this is an opinion board.

Can we get Lutz back (or anyone with vision please?)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Bruce, you are right on the money, unfortunately.

The new SRT is bland in comparison and the new z06 will probably be a better car with equal or even better styling than a srt. Can't say the same about the Gen I/II. They were timeless designs with raw, unmatched power.

DC fell asleep at the wheel. While the new c6 isn't terrific styling, it is at least as nice looking as the SRT. It seems like every great automobile has their mediocre generation, and this just might be it for the Viper. For example, look at the gen III corvette, 74-82. In terms of styling, they are generally the least sought after corvettes, and most sell between $4 and $6K, while others are considerably more. Just my opinion, but I guess this is an opinion board.

Can we get Lutz back (or anyone with vision please?)

The SRT-10 isn't as Muscular Looking at the Gen I/II. But I don't think the C6 is anywhere near as good looking as the SRT-10. Heck, it's barely better looking than the C5!

If the Zo6 is going to be a SRT-10 killer, only time will tell!
But let's not kill the SRT-10 too much just because we got spoiled with the Gen I/II styling! They look a heck of alot better than the ZO6 and C6 :usa:

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree about the SRT-10. It doesn't matter if a car has all of the performance in the world, if the styling is really bland (at least bland for an exotic, which I consider the Viper to be). Ferrari did the same thing with the 360, more performance but not as exotic looking as the F355.

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no question the GenII has style all over the GenIII. There is also no question that the GenIII will hand the GenII their *** on the track, ultimately that is what matters.

GenIII is a decent looking car but it isn't jaw-dropping like the previous gens.

I'd like to see the Viper continue raising the performance bar and bring back a radical styling and curves at the same time. Is that possible?

And dump the cupholder.

I agree with all of the above! :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960