The beginning of a very bad trend.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Traded my GTS for an SRT. Regret it in any way, shape, or form? NOPE.

And bruce- the SRT does not COME with Navigation, it is not even an option. I put it in my car because *I* wanted it. deal with it.

I was on the same band wagon as all of you SRT "haters"- even more so. I gave the car a CHANCE, and never had to look back. Would I like another GTS at some point? You Bet. Would I trade back from an SRT? NO WAY.

SRT "too refined"? Does it have a factory nav system? power seats? traction control? auto trans? exterior temp? digital climate control? power top?

Uh, yeah... didnt think so.

To all the people who think it looks less aggressive- Have an SRT come flying up on your A$$ while driving (and pass you), look in your rearview, and then tell me that again.

As I said, give it a chance- I did, and I dont regret it.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no way the new c6 and z06 will look better than the srt10---after all they stole most of the elements from the viper.
The srt-10 is more refined and does not have the camero rear end look. But, of course, the one cup holder is a real bummer, as is the 505 ci and the 500hp. I have to believe this topic is a put on. Just like the C4 guys saying the C5 stinks. Sure, I believe you. Can you say "sour grapes".

Just save your money for the next gen. You ain't seen nothing yet.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And bruce- the SRT does not COME with Navigation, it is not even an option. I put it in my car because *I* wanted it. deal with it.

I was on the same band wagon as all of you SRT "haters"- even more so. I gave the car a CHANCE, and never had to look back. Would I like another GTS at some point? You Bet. Would I trade back from an SRT? NO WAY.

SRT "too refined"? Does it have a factory nav system? power seats? traction control? auto trans? exterior temp? digital climate control? power top?

To all the people who think it looks less aggressive- Have an SRT come flying up on your A$$ while driving (and pass you), look in your rearview, and then tell me that again.

HEY FINAL WELL SAID, WE JUST GOTTA TELL EM LIKE IT IS AND I TO WILL PRUCHASE ANOTHER 02 RT/10 BUT WILL NEVER BE WITHOUT A SRT, AFTER YOU OWN AN SRT YOU TO WOULD NEVER LOOK BACK AND IF YOU DID IT WOULD BE TO SEE THE GEN I OR II IN THE REARVIEW MIRROR (LOL).
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
TOM

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, don't panic.
The Viper is king and will remain king.
The boys at Dodge are not going to let some upstart take the crown.
I am sure they are always working towards an even more lethal Viper.

The new Vette and others are still trying to play catch up

"There is no replacement for displacement"

:usa:

The Viper is currently not the king. The Ford GT is the King unless you consider the Saleen S7, Carrera GT, Enzo, SLR etc.

The Ford GT is all American and 550hp, 0-60 3.3, and 205mph top speed says that DC takes a Silver medal to the Fords Gold. Of course, not considering price. Then again, the Z06 guys make the same point about the price of the Viper being WAY too high compared to them.

That is the situation today. In a couple weeks I hope we hear about a new SRT (coupe) at VOI8. As rumor has it, they will be putting a Chrysler up as the new 'King'. The Me412 will be that car, not a Viper.

But I ain't one to gossip, so you didn't hear that from me, no you didn't.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is currently not the king. The Ford GT is the King

I wouldn't count on it, especially until we start seeing some real-World matchups instead of the rag test, which at $500K (or whatever the **** it's being bought for) aint gonna happen anytime soon.

Besides, part of the allure of the Viper is that it is in everyone's reach, if not new, then in the used market.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be the same argument the Vette would have against the Viper?

The biggest mistake that you can make is underestimate the competition, or belittle them. That is just what you are doing, especailly the new Vette. If Dodge doesn't up the ante then I think they are in for a big surprise from the Z06.

I think this is all great for any car enthusiast. But Dodge needs to get back in the game.

My guess is that the low production Viper will be a thing of the past in a few years. They are having trouble selling out the small production numbers as it is. Not really the case back in the earlier days of the Viper. That says something.

:eek:

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somehow, I doubt I'd have as many girls following me if I had an SRT instead of an RT (still a high number, regardless).

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somehow, I doubt I'd have as many girls following me if I had an SRT instead of an RT (still a high number, regardless).

Much as I hate to say it, the SRT seems to have more appeal to the ladies (excepting those those that drive them like Janni ;) ) than the previous body styles. As we all know, the RT/GTS have people from both sides of the camp: Either you love them or you hate them, there is rarely any in-between. The SRT is definitely a more muted styling. As such, it doesn't inspire as much love or hate. It is more a "like it a lot" from most people. The women in particular seem to like it a LOT more, as it not so boldly aggressive or testosterone-laden (both of which I thought were near-perfect on the GTS). While I personally think the GTS is a cooler looking car, I have yet to have a female say she liked my GTS better than my SRT.

Bottom line: It is more a chick car, both as a driver and from a fan base. Definitely a better performer, but easier to drive. And dammit, it isn't a cupholder! It's an ashtray, which when removed has a shallow cup-sized round opening... ;)

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cupholder cupholder cupholder cuoholder cupholder cupholder cupholder cupholder cupholder cupholder cupholder cupholder cupholder cupholder CUPHOLDER WITH ROLLUP WINDOWS!!!

Skeeter :eek:

BishopTx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the SRT-10 performance + styling is what made me a Viper owner...adding precision and power to the performance and refinement to the styling - that's not a bad thing, it's the difference between a SUPER car and a MUSCLE car.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the Ford GT tested was a prototype and not a production model? Before you write off the Viper you might want to wait and test production verses production.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said the GT pre-prod mules had 500hp. The GT website says 550 for the final car. Funny thing is, you may be right. NOWHERE on the site, even under specifications, does it list the CURB WEIGHT! Are they embarassed that they said it would be around 3000 and ended up 3400? You bet.

Still 50 extra ponies makes a genII faster than a GenI. And 50 makes the GenIII a tad quicker than a GenII.....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest mistake that you can make is underestimate the competition, or belittle them. That is just what you are doing, especailly the new Vette. If Dodge doesn't up the ante then I think they are in for a big surprise from the Z06.

Ha! A big surprise from Generic Motors? Are you kidding? Those accountants have been building boredom for the past 30 years and there is no hint of anything different in the horizon. If I'm wrong, I won't mind eating some crow, but I'm not worried and not bothering to stock up on the hot sauce.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lexus idle is for "The Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" owners. Unfortunately, most people spending $60K+ on a car are buying badges, not cars. (which thet have every right to do). I, like evryone else, am waiting for Dodge's next groundpounder...

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha! A big surprise from Generic Motors? Are you kidding? Those accountants have been building boredom for the past 30 years and there is no hint of anything different in the horizon. If I'm wrong, I won't mind eating some crow, but I'm not worried and not bothering to stock up on the hot sauce.

Then I guess you have been missing most of the press for the C6 as well. If the Z06 is 50hp more then the C6 then the SRT will be caught. Then the $$/performance argument goes to Chevy. Styling? Well they both look about the same to me (decent, but not great).

It amazes me that folks don't want to see Dodge step it up. But then again they are with the SL series. Too bad for Viper. Just keep telling yourself everything is fine, nothing to worry about, no need to do anything..... Best way to get caught.

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAVE MOST YOU GUYS SEEN ONE IN PERSON? honestly pictures do not do this car any justice. i didnt really care much for it untill i saw a wrecked black one at a dodge dealership that was bieng worked on. even though it was wrecked both my partner and i fell in love with it. 4 months later we bought an 03 blk. 7 months later we sold it and got a black mamba. the car looks beefy in person. it has an exotic roadster look to it also.

it should not be compared in any way to a gts. when making comparisons use the rt as an example. the srt10 is an evolution of the rt-viper. a better top, abs, airbags, bigger brakes, bigger cubes, lotsa power- just killer.

when i go to car meets and gts's and rt's roll up they are all over the car. asking me questions about it asking to sit in it, saying wow your lucky etc...just in love with it

when the coup srt comes out compare that model to the gts-so stop your gts to srt10 comparisons, ya cant compare verts to coups.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I guess you have been missing most of the press for the C6 as well. If the Z06 is 50hp more then the C6 then the SRT will be caught. Then the $$/performance argument goes to Chevy. Styling? Well they both look about the same to me (decent, but not great).

It amazes me that folks don't want to see Dodge step it up. But then again they are with the SL series. Too bad for Viper. Just keep telling yourself everything is fine, nothing to worry about, no need to do anything..... Best way to get caught.

The C6 is 400hp, right? And 12.7 1/2 mile?
So 50hp more won't do it against the SRT-10!
But in the $$/performance cat., the future ZO6 might have it.
In saying that, I hope DC brings no less than 600hp to the table with it's next Coupe!! :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Press? You mean the GM hype I've been reading for 30 years? I swear they've published the same articles since I was a kid, with the only copy change being dates and model year. Yep, I've read it, and I laaaaaughed and I laughed. GM is the poster child for underachievers. Dodge on the other hand has been raising the bar since 1992. I'll continue to have faith in Dodge until they screw up and I fear not GM doing any better than their traditional second place.

I agree with you on the styling for both the SRT/10 and the "new" Vette, - "decent, but not great."

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven an SRT-10. The brakes are phenomenal and the handling is better.
However, I am sick and tired of the SRT owners and DC apologists on this board
trying to say that the SRT-10 has anywhere near the shock value of the GTS. It simply
is not true. It's people deluding themselves. I go to those same cruises and people
always come up to me and say DC ruined the Viper. I end up defending the SRT-10
simply because they kept the original body style for 10 years. Eventually it was going
to change and DC needed to address a new segment of buyer because most of the
GTS/RT-10 segment already had their cars. But quit saying that the SRT is anywhere near
as good looking as the GTS. It's insulting.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys worry too much.

Cut DC some slack - just because GM have been beating their chest about a 500hp light weight C6 for months, and Ford has been crowing over its GT - everyone thinks that DC is dying because it chooses to be quiet...

Remember the ME 4-12? How it arrived "suddenly" at the Detroit Motor show where teh Ford GT was debuted and upstaged it!

That was cool.... but a reminder that telling everyone what you are doing in advance is not always the best policy.

DC have many tricks up their sleeve if they choose to...

the 500 cube V10 will take more power as is - the 625hp Carbon Concept SRT10 being one example - it could take a V10 Hemi head - that'd be a marketing winner and make even more power - they could even throw in a 40 valve OHV version - all the design work is available, it would be no more than an inch, maybe 1.5" wider and only a few lb heavier - and that would make anything Ford or GM have look so tame it'd be a joke.

Right now - all they have to do to stay ahead of their game is tweak what they got - lets see what they do.

As for cup holders - I'll have them thanks - what is it with you guys that you think it is cool to drop your drinks on the floor? yeah - that's tough I'm impressed

:rolleyes:

re design - it would take very little to transform the SRT10 foundation into a GTS sequel worthy of the name - and the SRT10 can look every bit as good as the RT/10. If DC simply removed the crease/ridge down each side it would look a lot rounder.... but there is nothing wrong with this....

You must be registered for see images attach

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven an SRT-10. The brakes are phenomenal and the handling is better.
However, I am sick and tired of the SRT owners and DC apologists on this board
trying to say that the SRT-10 has anywhere near the shock value of the GTS. It simply
is not true. It's people deluding themselves. I go to those same cruises and people
always come up to me and say DC ruined the Viper. I end up defending the SRT-10
simply because they kept the original body style for 10 years. Eventually it was going
to change and DC needed to address a new segment of buyer because most of the
GTS/RT-10 segment already had their cars. But quit saying that the SRT is anywhere near
as good looking as the GTS. It's insulting.

YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR WHOLE STATEMENT WAS INSULTING ( FULL OF BS! ) PERIOD!

HEY WE DIDN'T SAY GOOD LOOKING, WE SAID MORE REFINED. TILL YOU OWN ONE BELIEVE ME THE SHOCK AND AWE IS STILL THERE, JUST THE AWE GOT BIGGER. FOR THOSE WHO NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF ATTENTION IN THEIR LIFE UNTIL THEY BOUGHT A VIPER DONT WORRY IF YOU UPGRADE TO A GEN III YOU'LL STILL GET NOTICED WITH PLENTY OF ATTENTION, THAT MY BROTHERS IS WHAT I THINK MOST ARE WORRIED ABOUT. SO PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT WHILE YOUR LOOKING AT THE ARSSS END OF MY SRT TRYING TO KEEP UP.

WOW I FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

can I be you?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote

YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR WHOLE STATEMENT WAS INSULTING ( FULL OF BS! ) PERIOD!

HEY WE DIDN'T SAY GOOD LOOKING, WE SAID MORE REFINED. TILL YOU OWN ONE BELIEVE ME THE SHOCK AND AWE IS STILL THERE, JUST THE AWE GOT BIGGER. FOR THOSE WHO NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF ATTENTION IN THEIR LIFE UNTIL THEY BOUGHT A VIPER DONT WORRY IF YOU UPGRADE TO A GEN III YOU'LL STILL GET NOTICED WITH PLENTY OF ATTENTION, THAT MY BROTHERS IS WHAT I THINK MOST ARE WORRIED ABOUT. SO PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT WHILE YOUR LOOKING AT THE ARSSS END OF MY SRT TRYING TO KEEP UP.

WOW I FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

[/QUOTE]

Classic! :headbang:

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dang this this thread reminds me of high school with all the "mines better than yours" BS going on. The deal is everybody thinks what they have is best. The bottom line is a Viper is still a Viper no matter what model, and everybody has their own tastes.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got to agree, I like the looks of my GTS better than the SRT. Talking from a performance standpoint, better brakes, yes, but not better acceleration. What is up with the 500 HP? I haven't seen a stock SRT 10 go 12.20s on street tires. The old GTS broke 11s easy with a good driver. The SRTs are pitchin rear ends left and right.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought you had kept the GTS and bought the SRT-10. Did you trade the GTS in or just get rid of it at a later time. Sorry, I forgot.

Oh and by the way, you like the SRT-10 so much right? So why do you stil have a picture of you with the GTS? Sorry bro, but I just had to. :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I thought you had kept the GTS and bought the SRT-10. Did you trade the GTS in or just get rid of it at a later time. Sorry, I forgot.

Oh and by the way, you like the SRT-10 so much right? So why do you stil have a picture of you with the GTS? Sorry bro, but I just had to. :D

Traded the GTS in on the SRT. Put it back to stock, and handed it over. All the goodies that were on it went into other local cars.

LOL, yeah, I guess the reason I havent changed it is that this summer sucked SO MUCH that I dont even HAVE a picture like the above to replace it with! Rain clouds make for bad backdrops...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960