The Best Brake Pads?

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen some posts before on a certain kind of brake pads that don't leave much brake dust and I think stop the car a little quicker. Does anybody know what brand, how much for all four brakes, and are they made for a 94?

Thanks!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered them for my 2001
they are called EBC brakes "green stuff"
they are made of kevlar and suppost to be no dust and better stopping i went thru "Kingman Hitz" <[email protected]>
at great brakes he is the guy to email!!!
he is the factory authorized dealer.

hope this helps, i know i am looking forward to getting mine!!!
smile.gif

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they make the EBC Green stuff for the rears on the 2001. I just have the fronts now and am waiting for the rears. What an amazing difference in the amount of dust over the stock pads. Now my rear are dirtier than the fronts.

Thanks.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to Napa, Stops fine once you seat them (took me a couple days).
Cut brake dust by about 95%.

Gerald

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to an email I got from Kingman a week or so ago, they are hoping to get the rear pads for the 2001 in July or August. I, too, am getting tired of the dust and noise my rear stock pads make. I've got nearly 8,000 miles on my EBC green front pads, and they are truly the best street pad you can buy!

Advantages of the EBC green pads: Virtually no dust, no noise, more linear pedal response, cheap!

Disadvantages: Probably will last only 80% as long as the stock pads; don't even consider EBC green for track use!

I can't speak about stopping distances; I noticed no difference in stopping ability when I switched to the EBC pads. The pedal feel is definitely improved, however.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wiseasp,
they are hoping for a shipment of 2001 rears to arrive
in about 4-6 weeks.
I actually preordered mine Greatbrakes is the place!!!
i wanted to wait till i could get fronts and rears at the same time and do the job all at once . also i will be upgrading the battery with an optima 800cca since i will have the rear wheel off anyhow.
hope this helps...
smile.gif

JIM

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Ron Hickey said, we are patiently awaiting the arrival of the Kevlar 2001 rear pads very soon. The owner of EBC in England is no doubt getting tired of my constant pressure, but I'm trying to be just enough of a squeaky wheel to get the grease. For now, all I can say is "patience is a virtue, or "all good things come to he who waits", etc.

At least one NICE thing when they finally do get here will be the price..... only $69, versus $79 for complete 1992-2000 rear set.

Wing King
GreatBrakes.com
BURNOUT.gif

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, So you say, dont even consider the EBC Green for track use?

I'm planning on taking my 2001 GTS to the track for a school or two. Not exactly racing, but testing it's limits (and mine).

How do the EBC Greens compare to the stock pads for the track? The "track" in my case is no wheel to wheel racing, just fun.

I dont like the dust, but I hate the squeal of the stock pad. If I can replace the stock pads with the EBC Greens and get the benefits without loosing too much on the "track" I'll change them as soon as the rears come available. If not, I'll use up the stock pads at the "track" then change to the Greens.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ken

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

The EBC green pads are not recommended for track use. They will wear away just too quickly. Your stock pads should work fine for one track event, as long as you check them after each track session. (Of course, you can go as far as you want concerning brakes -- pads, rotors, stainless steel lines, air deflectors, big-brake kits.) If you're doing a couple of schools, you may want to consider a set of dedicated race pads; there are lots of pads out there -- Brakeman, Performance Friction, Porterfield, etc. -- everyone has his or her favorites. Of course, then you need to consider that race pads may wear your rotors...

My personal recommendation, for your first event: Keep it simple. Change brake fluid just before the event to Motul 600 or equivalent, and stick with your stock pads (unless you've got a lot of miles on them). Optionally, add a pair of brake air deflectors (Tittle or Woodhouse have them). If you're going to drive really aggressively on-track, you will not be satisfied with the stock pads, in which case you will need race pads for both front and rear, since you should use the same compound front and rear. After two track events, race pads may wear your rotors enough that they may need replaced; if not, at least turned.

I doubt the stock pads will last more than one event. There are lots of variables here -- driving style, braking technique, track, etc. -- which will affect how quickly your pads wear.

(JonB at PartsRack can help you with your various options. He's pretty knowledgable about this stuff.)

My 2001 GTS is a street car, definitely not a dedicated track vehicle. I'm doing 2 track events this year: Viper Days at VIR in late July and at Road America in early August. I am currently running the EBC green (front) and stock pads (rear) on the street. Prior to the VIR event, I will replace my front rotors with Stop-Tech Aero Rotors, and put Porterfield R4 pads on all 4 wheels. (I've used the R4's before; I'm happy with them and have no reason to switch. There are other options.) I will also install stainless steel brake lines, front and rear, and also air deflectors and Speed Bleeders. And replace the brake fluid with Motul.

I'll leave the pads and rotors on the car for the 2-3 weeks between VIR and Road America. Once I'm done with Road America, I'll reinstall the EBC pads and stock rotors. (The air deflectors can stay on the car; they won't get in the way.) Doing it this way, there will be no reason to turn the rotors or anything, since I'll just be returning the system to what it was before I went "racing." This, of course, is a somewhat involved solution, and between pads, rotors and lines, we're talking over $1,000.

My 2-cents...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock pads lasted for 3 events. My EBC's didn't even complete one event. Some say it's because of the titanium pistons I have. Regardless, the stock pads still lasted 3 events and the EBC didn't last one.

EBCs are fine for the street, but I strongly advise against them on the track.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of guys in our region have used the Hawk (I don't know what compound) and were pleased with their performance. And their price-to-performance ratio is excellent.

Again, it seems everyone has his preferences. Pads that work great for one person may not work well for the next guy.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, at Greatbrakes request, and with our help, EBC has finished development of the two true "track" pad ranges for our Vipers, the Yellows and Blues. We have been holding off making any announcements, waiting to build stock in our warehouse before saying anything ourselves, and asking those who have tested the Yellow and Blue ranges to hold off posting THEIR comments as well. We already have almost 100 sets of the Yellow fronts in stock right now, and our first large production shipment of the Blues is still about 10 days away from our doorstep. When released, I'm predicting these two ranges will soon develop the same impact and reputation for the Viper track community that the Kevlar Greens have for street and autox use. The results have FAR exceeded our expectations. Life is GOOD!

That's all I'm going to say for now. When we're ready to let these things loose into circulation, we'll post over in the proper forum, and release some Viper test info, so you'll know exactly what to expect. Soon!

Wing King
Greatbrakes.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187