The Cost of Changing All Fluids

tzoid9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, my Viper is 10 years old now so I made my second 5 year trip to the dealer to have all the fluids changed. Mobil One in the engine, Amsoil in the transmission, differential and power steering and Valvoline Sythetic in the brakes and clutch. Also flushed and filled up with new Peak permanent antifreeze. Now I bought all the fluids and filters on my own and brought them to my dealer....took the tech about 3-4 hours to change everything over and he's great. I paid $545 for the labor...sound OK or too high? Glad the snow is gone so I can drive my beauty........

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds really good. I paid almost $1k to have the same thing done to my '01 rt/10 back in '08

OP
OP
T

tzoid9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, Chuck....Pittsburgh. With all the fluids & filter in the number, I probably spent a total of $600-650.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I buy all my fluids and take them to my mechanic, he charges me $70/hr, takes him about 3 hours.

I change my oil every month and bleed brakes every 2 weeks when I am going to the track.

Every spring I change out all fluids.

Northern IN

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds kind of high to me.

I just bought 10 Quarts of 20W 50 for $32. Came with 2 oil filters but I used the mopar filters. 2 Quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF like $6.00 each for the Tranny and 2 Quarts GForce fluid @ $12 each. Mopar oil filter, 2 Quarts Diff fluid, and the limited slip addative - $85 from dealer. I bought a case of motul last year so it was free for now, but I think it would have cost $40 for the brakes. Power Steering was about $8.

Not quite sure where you guys are spending High 5's to $1K.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, my Viper is 10 years old now so I made my second 5 year trip to the dealer to have all the fluids changed. Mobil One in the engine, Amsoil in the transmission, differential and power steering and Valvoline Sythetic in the brakes and clutch. Also flushed and filled up with new Peak permanent antifreeze. Now I bought all the fluids and filters on my own and brought them to my dealer....took the tech about 3-4 hours to change everything over and he's great. I paid $545 for the labor...sound OK or too high? Glad the snow is gone so I can drive my beauty........

Wait if you bought all the fluids and filters and brought them to the dealer. They charged you $545 for 3 -4 hours which is $136 to $181 per hour to change fluids? That seems outrageous. I dont know any dealer that charges $181 per hour...

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess if you only service your car every 5 years:omg:, you only have to set aside $100 a year. I would find another place to get it serviced and do it every year

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shouldn't all the charges be based on flat rate? so i would ask what the flat rate is on all the services done. this is probably what they based their billing on.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You purchased your own fluids and you were charged $545 for labor? Was this the tech's first time changing out all fluids on a Viper? Seems high to me but then again I'm spoiled living only 1 hr away from Chuck Tator.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info here!!

Let me add that I have seen the "change all the fluids" bills range from $600.00 to $1600.00 depending on the year of the Viper, presence or absence of a VCA discount, and the shop rate on labor ranging which has ranged from $37.00-100.00 per hour.

For many years officers of the IN/KY Region have worked to establish relationships with Dodge dealers who were "Viper friendly" and who had active Viper Techs. Through these efforts, Viper fluid change schedules were/are offered to VCA members a varying discounted rates. At the peak, we had 4 dealerships participating in Indiana...much to the advantage of our members!

We are in the process of renewing these relationships now(2completed to date), and have continued to obtain a discounted rate for members through our local Mobil distributor.

Many members take advantage of the above opportunities...while some of us do our own fluid changes as needed. In the latter situation, my own cost per Viper (depending on the year) ranges from $200+ to close to $300.00 using the Mopar OEM fluids.

Hopefully, someone in YOUR Region will help you in a similar fashion if they have not already done so.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems quite high, but I do all of that stuff myself, as mentioned above with respect to the shop rate. Even if they had a journeyman or master doing the work (which I doubt) yours was a serious money making venture for the dealer.
The more alarming thing is that it's only happening every 5 years!! I cringe to think how long you let the tires go!

OP
OP
T

tzoid9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, somebody already guessed what the dealer did...he charged me flat rate labor for everything....remember, no parts. $89.95 for changing the differential. $85 each for the brake fluid, the clutch fluid, the coolant, $69.95 for the power steering, $49.95 for the transmission and $9.95 for the engine oil. Add to that the State and Emissions at $40.00 and the total with tax was $545. Yes, I know I was ripped off. But, I only do this once every 5 years and I'll never pay this again....never, ever. This is the best part of the story. Since 1993, I've spent over $500,000 in personal cars with this guy....not a good way to treat a good customer, I don't think.

OP
OP
T

tzoid9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments....the bruised ego for being so stupid hurts way more than the couple hundred bucks he nipped me for.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
tzoid9, I would wager that most here have had a similar experience at some point...I know that I certainly have.

We all live and learn...that's why I took over the care of our Vipers...plus, it's FUN!!!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yea don't take offense to it. I'd bet if you walked into 10 dealerships 9 out of 10 would charge you that or more because its a viper and its a stealership, err dealership! You have to really shop around with a viper for special prices as Steve-Indy said above.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not understand why all of you do not do the service yourself. Its not that hard and you can save a lot of money. You should change all the fluids every year and keep it all fresh.
If you got money to burn...go have it done.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For that much you could buy everything to do it(including the tools) and continuing education class at your local college to learn how....

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guy charges $60/hour. The engine oil & filter, tranny lube , and rear end lube can all easily be changed in under an hour. Coolant change, pulling the block plugs and making a mess, takes 3/4 hour.

Brake fluid change is a 20-30 minute job tops with a vac system and rack.

I always bring my own fluids. He charges me $10 bucks for an oil change only, plus we give the car a once over underneath.

I've never done all the fluids at one time, but past experience would indicate about 2 hours for all of it at a garage with a rack.

Steve

V

Venomiss

Spend some good money and join the VCA?

Then buy a raffle ticket for a new Viper-make some of your money back and then some.