The Incredible Power of the Viper does it again...

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normally I would be furious about something like this. Last night I took a ride to hollywood video to rent a movie. Now the video store is 3 blocks away from my house, but of course it takes me 20 minutes to get there and back. There is no such thing as a 3 block drive in a viper, it doesn't exist. Anyway when I left I turned out on the main street and hammered it. I don't drive recklessly but I guarantee besides the Jet's at O'hare there's not many people that get to the speed limit faster than we do. So when I hit it I heard a pop (kind of like when you break a bone in your body). I immediately notice my voltage go from 16 to 12. I thought Oh **** the belt came off, Damn! (Some of you may have read about my balancer problems in the past). So I'm pretty upset at this point, fuming over what I was sure was a problem with my balancer.

I roll about 1/4 mile down the road and pull off into a strip mall and pop the hood. I popped the hood and at the same time I'm approached by a pizza delivery kid that works in the strip mall, he says wow nice car man is something wrong. I said yeah, you wouldn't happen to have a flashlight. The kid goes in his truck and hands me a mag-light and I begin to investigate. Yep the belt's off but the balancer looks good, Whew! I'm thinking that's odd the belt doesn't just jump off. So I start to mount the belt over the 8lb pulley and I notice that the power steering pump is loose.

When I shined the light on it I immediately noticed that the pump was ripped out of it's anchor plate. The mounting plate was literally still attached to the unit and the four bolts that anchor it to the block were still in the block with fragments of the plate under them. I looked at this and began to laugh aloud, and the poor pizza kid's looking at me like I'm insane and says dude, holy ****! While I was upset about the unforeseen down time, I knew that things could have been a lot worse. I was in absolute awe of the power of these cars and couldn't help but laugh. Well, I'm off to dodge to order my part, hopefully they'll be able to get it within a couple of days.

~Matt~

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Doug Levin makes a forged aluminum part that will prevent this from happening in the future.

OP
OP
C

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I just had my first dealing with Doug Levin and man what a Guy. Seriously what a class act, you DLM guys are lucky to have someone like that as we are with Sean. Thank you Doug for taking the time to speak with me and for express shipping the bracket. Oh and I almost forgot Doug's forged aluminum powersteering bracket is half the price of Dodge's magnesium piece of cr@p. How's that for customer satisfaction.

Thanks for the heads up Shelby!

:D :usa:

~Matt~