The myth of the German Autobahn revealed !

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had been waiting for this anxiously....German Autobahn. No speedlimits. I'm just out of Salzburg Austria, about to cross the border to Rosenheim Germany.
My right foot is itching !
Will I be able to floor the snake ?

3989Tirol_Jun_20040002_klein.JPG

No ! What a dissapoinment ! Speed regulations everywhere. And then on the non restricted stretches...there was the Dutch.
Anytime between May and September the rest of Europe gets flooded by cloggies pulling camping trailers with their underpowered cars (1600cc is a big engine in Holland). The picture above was taken from the Viper. It depicts 2 cloggies passing a truck. The whole procedure took about 15 minutes. They couldn't even care less there was a faster vehicle behind them. Even seemed to amuse them.
Bush - can you please invade Holland ? Or at least block their borders :)

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhh... I am a Dutchman myself, and I find it a bit strange to put all the blame on us Dutchies :p It also could have been people from other countries ya know ;)

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure that's the Autobahn...It looks more like the Long Island Expressway!

Being a misplaced NY'er myself, I can assure you it's not the LIE. If you notice the wheels are moving on the vehicles. :laugh:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is holiday season and millions of people from the Northern parts of Germany and from NL, BE, FR, DK, ... drive to Austria, Italy... for vacation. Together with the trucks this is an explosive mixture between tired holiday-makers, tired truck drivers and people who would like to go faster. Especially the A8, between Munich and Salzburg is a disaster during the summer!

Most parts of the A8 do have variable computer controlled speed limits between 60 km/h (40mph) and 120 km/h (80 mph).

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is holiday season and millions of people from the Northern parts of Germany and from NL, BE, FR, DK, ... drive to Austria, Italy... for vacation. Together with the trucks this is an explosive mixture between tired holiday-makers, tired truck drivers and people who would like to go faster. Especially the A8, between Munich and Salzburg is a disaster during the summer!

Most parts of the A8 do have variable computer controlled speed limits between 60 km/h (40mph) and 120 km/h (80 mph).

Lol my parents and I visited an aunt in Austria during spring holiday and we even came accross some stretches of Autobahn that didn't have a speed limit :p The amount of holidaytakers then was relatively low, we could blast at 160km/h for quite some time (reasonable top speed for a 2.0 litre Volvo V40 :D ).

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it true that no trucks are allowed on the Autobahn on the weekends? I had family go ever there a few years ago, they said the weekend is the only time you can fly!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weekend = NO trucks - correct.

And BAVARIA is the only place in Germany I would like to live... :p

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it true that no trucks are allowed on the Autobahn on the weekends? I had family go ever there a few years ago, they said the weekend is the only time you can fly!

That could very well be true I believe. Here in The Netherlands there are still some trucks on the highway during the weekend, but way less than on regular week days.

OP
OP
Y

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over rated. I've driven WAY faster in Eastern Oregon. The stretch between Bend and Boise is God's gift to speed demons. Who says one can not speed in the US ? :headbang:

whitesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is not allowed for trucks to drive on Sunday in Germany, but then you have other problems: those drivers, who only drives on a Sunday...they weasel with not more than 50 mph over the autobahn..on the left lane. So if you ever want to drive fast and furios do it at night time ;)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks like people all over the world act pretty much the same.

I thought Southern California had all the slow people in the world. They are always daring me to pass them, at least thats what it looks like to me. :)

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch out guys!!! Driving Autobahn can be a disaster if you forget about side winds. Over my 3 years of driving in Germany, I drifted several times from one line to another when driving over those huge bridges and other open area sections before my car slowed down significantly. One time a Lambo passed me and almost crashed due to a side wind.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
That's right Vic - and I remember one night when you listened to them and were obedient to their dare.... in all 3 lanes :p :D :D

remember that?

:headbang:

We are shocked and saddened by the allegation, and can only surmise that its part of a vast left-wing conspiracy to discredit us. We reitterate our position that speeding is dangerous, and to be avoided at all costs. <cough-cough> ;)

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not quite true just back from the Viper Corvette meet at Hockenheim spent most of the way back at 100 to 140 mph what a blast, one stretch of the E40 had nothing not one car on.

My 2 cents..............Germany Rocks!!!

WickedV

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ever encountered one of these on the highway? www.aixam.com
Now those are REALLY annoying! Most of them aren't even legal to drive on the highway, because their topspeed isn't higher than 60km/h!!
Sadly, some people actually have the nerve to take them there.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're just at the wrong spots of the map... ;)

You must be registered for see images

Not trying to flame here, but the pic of your odometer is photochopped. (easy to see when you look at the bigger pic.) If it isn't then you have the strangest looking odo I have ever seen. Not a very good chop either. Having trouble understanding why you would do that.

Yeah it's a chop... Mr. Obvious. 5 minutes [******]-around...
Just to say those speeds are definately possible, and the part about speeding, it isn't speeding here. It's not illegal as it is anywhere in the U.S..

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A myth is something that is usually totally false. During certain times and places, the autobahn is as big a nightmare as a US interstate (Oktoberfest in Bavaria). HOWEVER, at other times the peace of mind knowing you can go as fast as your car and your ability will take you WITHOUT the sudden heartstopping sight of a revenue enhancement officer around the corner, hiding in the bushes, is PRICELESS. Ever pass a cop at 150mph and not worry about it? I have.

The real pain is the bridge camera system. I hope we don't ever try THAT bullsh!t system!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been over 180mph on the autobahn. :headbang:
And the area I was staying didn't have many problems with traffic. So I was able to have fun on it often.

But like everywhere else, if you are around a large city during rush hour, you aren't going to be doing 100mph! Or if there is an accident, you will have a huge traffic jam.

The autobahn is AWESOME! I too have passed a cop at over 150! Strange feeling! :2tu: Just have to have the right car to enjoy it!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right Vic - and I remember one night when you listened to them and were obedient to their dare.... in all 3 lanes :p :D :D

remember that?

:headbang:

We are shocked and saddened by the allegation, and can only surmise that its part of a vast left-wing conspiracy to discredit us. We reitterate our position that speeding is dangerous, and to be avoided at all costs. <cough-cough> ;)

Perhaps my informants (my left eyeball and my right) were deceived comrade, however I am not convinced. We should discuss this over a vodka, swap manly stories, and test each other with random questions from the little red book.

I am not sure what this would accomplish - but it could be fun (is that allowed?)- anyway - for those of us who have no autobha - here's a toast to conformity and everyone being good little penguins for the greater good of man and penguin kind! :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang