The ultimate swirl remover!

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone found it?
I am still searching for something to remove the light swirl marks off my GTS (Sapphire Blue)

I've tried Meguires Scratch Removal, Zainos Z5, ... none of them seem to work with any great effect.

Anyone?

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 3M makes a commercial line of products that I have only seen at body shop suppliers.. I used 3M swirl mark remover for light colored cars and my DeWalt variable speed buffer to make my Viper look like glass. Mechanical removal of deep swirl marks is your only avenue, after that maybe Z-5 would work.

None of the wipe on wipe off products will do a satisfactory job. I'll give you the bottle part number if you want, just let me know.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I have a few small scratches. Can you come over and help me remove them? We may need a case of the stuff and a spare buffer. What's that number?

TW

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a polisher. Is the Dewalt as good as the Porter Cable orbital? What is the Dewalt model no.?
TIA
Bruce

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dewalt is not an orbital, it is a rotary. It's what the pro's use... Rotaries produce heat to break down the abrasives in a polish (to smaller and smaller particles), and do a fantastic job removing swirls and creating a perfect finish. Problem is, you can burn right threw your clearcoat if you don't know what your doing or use the wrong buffing pad....

Orbitals protect the amateurs against these mistakes, as it does not produce heat since it rotates in an orbital fashion. Problem is, they don't work nearly as well or quickly as a rotary used properly.

If memory serves, Gen II Vipers were buffed on the assembly line with 3M swirl mark remover and a rotary buffer, similar to the Dewalt. This product with a rotary and the correct pad - used properly, will remove all swirls in the paint. If you have a scratch that is deeper than the typical swirl, you may need to move up to a slightly more aggressive polish such as 3M Finesse It II, or even a more abrasive compound if the scratch is deep. 3M Finesse It II is also a great product, just a little more aggressive than the 3M swirl mark remover. ALWAYS START WILL THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE POLISH, AND PROCEED TO MORE AGGRESSIVE IF NECESSARY.

*** Don't jump in feet first with a rotary, at least on a Viper. Have a pro teach you the ropes, then practice on several lesser cars before attempting the Viper. At least that's my plan of attack.

*** You can find smaller bottles of the 3M Swirl Mark Remover a Pep Boys, or the larger 32 ounce bottles at professional body shop/detailing supply stores.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found 3m swirl remover online...they offer it for dark and light cars. Works like a charm.

Just head to google and look for "3m swirl remover buy" or "3m swirl remover order"

8AV8

VCA Member
Reaction score
The part no. for Finesse-it II is 051131-05928 it is an excellent product. 3M recommends air or electric buffer 1500-2500 rpm. Specifically formulated to remove swirl marks after compounding and to remove 1500 grit scratches after color sanding. 3M's Fill'n Glaze pink part no.051144-05977 can be used by hand to fill "minor" swirl marks after compounding. The local NAPA store in my area carries these products on the shelf. Good luck.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you try to use a real buffer, perhaps you will get the hang of it right away, perhaps you will screw it up.

It's an art. You can quickly do damage.

If your car has lots of swirl marks, take it to a good body shop and have them get rid of them.

Then spend your time keeping new swirls from occurring.

If you use anything yourself, other than an orbital buffer and wax, you are just asking for trouble.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
joe - good advice thanks. My biggest problem is finding a reputable shop around here. A friend of mine took it to one place and the car came back with more swirl marks!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not remove many swirls by hand...Get a Porter Cable Random orbital buffer...practice a bit on your ******...You'll get the hang of it quick...Get the adapter kit so you can use velcro backed pads...Then use only foam pads...I get mine at www.topoftheline.com

Clear coat scratches = Yellow 6" pads (with 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound Liquid)
Clear coat swirls = Black 6" pads (3M Swirl Remover)
Finishing = White 6" pads (3M Finishing Glaze, and pick whether you have a Light or Dark colored car)

PS: You can stand on the Porter Cable Random Orbital @ 6000 rpms and not f-u your clear coat...work 2' x 2' areas at a time...

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use 3m SSR 39009 and the Porter Cable or orbital set at 3.5 or 4. I prefer the white pad on my black vette. The yellow pads seem to firm and add more swirls. You may be able to get away with the yellow pad on the viper as I think you are painted with sikkens which is a harder paint. Vette paint *****, very soft. Follow up with zaino or your favorite wax.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a 6" Dewalt rotary buffer (real buffer) with the yellow 3M foam pad for final polishing (Meguiars machine polish). I also use 3M Perfect-it III with a wool pad for bad scratches, or after something has been wet sanded.

Learning a real buffer is not hard. Start out with good machine polishes like 3M or Meguiars, and only set the buffer on 1000-1200 rpm. You should not burn any clear at that rpm. I've held mine in one spot at that rpm and done no damage, just make sure you have enough polish. As you get better and learn how to move the buffer better, you can increase the rpm.

I have also found that the Mothers glaze/swirl remover actually works very well by hand. Nothing beats a buffer, but I was very impressed with it by hand.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the absolute best way to remove swirls have a body shop "wet sand" it, a little pricey (cost me $300) but my black Viper looked perfect! I tried the 3M products mentioned above but they only worked so-so.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using a product that is no available yet. It is called Silon. I went to get some custom exhaust installed in my BMW and the guy noticed the car. A week later after I applied this product, I went back to install O2 sensors that I couldn't get to. The guy thought that I had repainted the car. It removed almost everything. The guy was impressed and I am as well. I applied it to my BMW which is black. I get it from a friend of mine in FL. I have had it on for 2 months and still looks the same as day one. You can applied it to any thing like glass, plastic, paint, but not the tires. I use it as a super durable base coat and then Zaino ontop of that (Z2 and Z5)