The VCA needs your feedback

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Consider this one of hopefully many research projects for documenting the "Viper Phenomena". Very rarely do I start a topic... but without getting into details (yet), can I please ask for all to respond to this post?

Thanks!

I'd like to know each visitors historic DC related purchases and how they related to your Viper ownership, the cameraderie of the VCA and the red carpet treatment that we've grown to expect at VOI's and other Viper events! Please mention any Dodge vehicles purchased by you, your family, and even your friends or neighbors who have relied on you to be "their car consultant".

I'd be proud to start:

2 - Dodge Stealth TT's prior to first Viper purchase
1 - '95 RT/10 used traded for:
1 - '96 GTS used traded for:
1 - 2000 GTS new traded for:
1 - 2001 GTS new traded for:
1 - SRT-10 new

Additionally, my household car "decision maker" leased:
1 - '98 Dodge Durango
1 - '02 Dodge Durnago

AND, my business has been replacing its' Van fleet with ONLY Dodge Vans (2 so far), and all employees who have vehicles as part of their employment package have received DC products (Neon, Liberty)

OK, who's next?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had only Dodge Intrepid and Stratus as a company cars which I picked. Both of them had a lot of problems and had the worst dealer service possible. However I still decided to get the 02 Viper.

I influenced my friend to get FE GTS which he got a month ago.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I've wanted one since the GTS came out in '96. The toys leading up to the Viper were a '95 3000 VR-4 (sorry I sold it) to a '00 BMW M Coupe which became my '00 Viper in less than a year. Sorry BMW. As far as DC purchases goes, this has been the first Dodge. I previously was a Ford truck guy, but I am seriously considering a Dodge. I don't think there is much relationship with the Viper in my thought process, but hey, you never know.

Lou

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prior to our first 1996 GTS, we would have NEVER considered a Dodge or Chrysler product. However, due to the VCA and the wonderful folks we have met (dealers, too, inlcuding M&L Motors is Lexington, NC, D&E DOdge in Wilmington - home of TOm Sessions...) we now own nothing but....

We've since purchased 2 Ram 3500's and will be getting a third this year, and three more Vipers. I sold my [gasp] Volkswagen when the SRT/10 arrived as it will be a daily driver. At the time I purchased, I wanted a safe small car and Neon just didn't cut it - and the performance was not there at that time. Hopefully new Neon's fare better in crash tests.

Club members have also expanded their personal fleets, and added new tow vehicles. Now that Dodge FINALLY has a crew cab, expect to see a better representation on DODGE duallies pulling the trailers at Viper Days!

The GOOD dealers we have met through Viper ownership have truly been most helpful with all vehicle issues. But, sadly, the bad ones are still out there, we just all know to avoid them.

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not be more brand loyal and make my opinion known OFTEN!

Following are the Chrysler products that I have owned:

The old Stuff

'69 Dodge Superbee 383
'70 Road Runner 440 + 6
'69 Superbee 426 Hemi (Still Own)
'70 Plymouth Superbird 440 Six Barrel (Still Own)

The new Stuff

'93 Dodge Intrepid
'97 Viper GTS (Still Own)
'01 Chrysler PT Cruiser (Still Own)
'03 Viper SRT 10 (Still Own)

I tried buying a Dodge tow vehicle, but Dodge did not make a true crew cab superduty at the time. When my daughter is old enough she wants an SRT 4.

I show all of my Chrysler muscle cars and both Vipers. In addition I am a member of the Daytona Superbird club, Wing Warriors NBBOA, and VCA. My GTS has been featured in two different newspapers articles about racing at Virginia International Raceway.

Both my father and father-in-law and several friends have bought Chrysler products based upon my recommendations.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
well, previous to the Viper, I owned:

91 3000GT SL (red)
91 3000GT VR-4 (yellow)
92 3000GT VR-4 (red)
94 3000GT VR-4 (white)
95 3000GT VR-4 (white)

3000GT is the blood brother of the Dodge Stealth...close enough...and I REALLY miss that 95, until I am driving the Viper that is. heh

As far as influencing factors, my father has owned a 2000 and a 2003 Durango, and ALL 11 of my parents' company vehicles are Dodges.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We were a Chrysler Family years ago ( dad and mom had Plymouth wagons, then Chrysler wagons, and finally a 64 and 68 300s ). Then we left the
fray,but now today the family has/had:

98 Viper
2000 Viper
2002 PT Cruiser
2003 GT Cruiser
2003 W2500 Quad Cab ** Diesel , 6speed

Mom drives a 98 Sebring Lxi with 14,000 miles
Sis drives a 2 wheel drive Durango
Brother drives a Chrysler T&C Mininvan

So, it looks like we have all come full circle!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was always a Pontiac man, which means I like cubes. But the whimps at GM quit building big engines 25 years ago. When I first saw and read about the Viper and 488 C.I.D I instantly became a Dodge man. I will never sell my Vipers. My next vehicle will be a Dodge pickup, sort of a thank you to Dodge for having the balls to build something as radical as the Viper…now if they would just bring back the curves.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dad had a Dodge Dealership from 1965 to 1971, I have owned or driven Dodge's for as long as I can remember, After we got out of the dealership, I had a 1979 Magnum XE, 1988 Ram 1500, 1992 Ram Charger, 1996 Ram 1500, 1996 RT10, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 2000 Durango, 2003 SRT10. During the years of the dealership, drove all the Dodge muscle cars of the day. It was a blast. I would not consider myself as a Viper fan but a Dodge fan.

Dean

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prior to my current '98 GTS I only had a couple other's:

'97 Prowler
'97 GTS Red

Wait, I also had a Turbo Shelby Charger for about a month back while I was in college! Does that really count though?? :)

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought my first USED car...

1978 Jeep CJ-7 purchased new
1983 Dodge 600 ES purchased new
1985 Jeep J-20 truck purchased new
1985 Chrysler Lebaron GTS purchased new
1986 Chrysler Laser XT purchased new
1990 Chrysler’s TC by Maserati purchased new
1995 Dodge Viper RT/10 purchased new
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited purchased new
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel purchased new
1999 Dodge Viper ACR purchased USED

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Joe,
Wow, you are starting a thread !! hehehe!!
1998 RT/10 Red (Red, what was I thinking? :D ) purchased new.
2000 GTS Black purchased new.
1996 GTS Blue/White Stripes purchased from previous owner.
2003 Viper Competition Coupe Black/Pink Stripes.
2003 1500 Ram Quad Cab/HEMI ;) :usa: (don't ask about that dealer experience :mad:

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted a GTS since its introduction, however, I couldn't handle the price of admission until 2001. My only other DC experience is a 1998 Chrysler minivan, which has been an absolutely perfect family hauler.

Would I buy or recommend DC products? I'm a strong advocate of local goods and services. Consequently, the Benz buyout has me concerned. I would have to know that the car is mostly American, and I don't mean just pieces or assembly but the design and development effort also.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar or no car! My father was a Mopar guy, and my brother and I continue the tradition. All purchased new unless otherwise indicated.

62 Chrysler 300 (used)
74 Dodge Dart
75 Dodge Colt
81 Dodge Charger 2.2 (not a real Charger)
84 Chrysler Laser XE Turbo
85 Chrysler Laser XE Turbo
87 Chrysler Lebaron Coupe
90 Plymouth Laser Turbo
91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (AWD Turbo)
91 Dodge Stealth TT
87 Dodge Dakota (used)
91 Dodge Ram pickup (used)
90 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (ex-IMSA car for track events -- used)
94 Dodge Ram 1500
97 Dodge Viper GTS
01 Dodge Viper GTS
00 Chrysler 300M (used)

Through the years I've advised quite a few friends to purchase Chrysler/Dodge vehicles, including a few Vipers.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was a Generic Motors slave forever...When the C5 disappointed me yet again, (nutless, again...) I punted it for my RT...I had only owned one other Dodge product ever...

Now it's Dodge all the way...2000 RT/10 with a 2000 Durango R/T to match...both in your basic black. Can't wait to get a matching GTS...

My local Dodge dealer rocks! Takes awesome care of me and my Durango...they don't touch my viper, but this is not their fault...nobody wrenches on it but me.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I admired and loved the old MoPars but never could afford or own one. My college buds had 440s. GTXs, Road Runners, etc. I had a Triumph-MG-then a Jag.

I did not consider my 87 Mitsu-Dodge Conquest TSI a Dodge. Dodge Embarassed.

Or my 89 TSI a Dodge. I bought em BECAUSE they were Mitsubishi manufactured, in spite of Dodge. I even serviced em at Mitsu, not Dodge. I hated Dodge's 80's reputation. I preferred AMC! I took all the Dodge logos off these Mitsu cars.

Ditto my 1991 Stealth TT featured in MoPar Performance News 9/91. That Dodge dealer stunk up the place. I stripped/covered those logos too. Sold 98k miles.

My 1st 'real' Dodge was my awesome but quirky 1993 RT/10. I had sent a letter and deposit to Lutz in 1990. Ron Smith helped me find it.....Sold in 1999 after 50000 miles. Along the way, I sold off a P-911, a Lotus, a Z-28, a DeLorean, 2 Corvettes, and more.

I'd become DODGE-A-FIED By Lutz, Smith, & Levine, and Sjoberg. Helbig, too. Groupie like. Cultish. I'd "Drunk The Dodge-Cool-Aid" at VOI-1. It WAS drugged, you know. Also at VOI-2. Drugged. The only cure is to get another Dodge 'Fix'.

Then a '92 StealthTT, GTS Blu-White stripes. I helped it Trade-in on a Viper.
Then a 1995 RT, (bought/rescued from a non-believer to sell) Sold to Japan.
Then my 1996 GTS, the 1st released retail. Now at 40xxx miles
Then my 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck, claimed same day at CAAP. Sold 42k mi.
Then my Dakota pickup. Traded on '03 Ram.
Then a 1999 Neon RT Blue/stripes for Brenda. [Vanity Plate: "9%VIPER"]
Then a 2001 Viper ACR, now at 4000 miles.
Then a 2003 SRT/10.
Then a 2003 Dodge Ram Club Cab 4 x 4
Then, a 2000 'Vette (C-5 6-speed) for Brenda....she wants plush/driver aids.
Next: The Neon RT is gonna become a SRT/4. (PVO Kool Aid is just as druggy.)
Next: the Vette will likely become a Dodge Avenger / Challenger PVO machine.
Next: A PVO-Ram SRT/10 is in our future....rode in one at F-16 race. WOW !
Next: PVO-Comp Coupe? PVO-Street Coupe (please?) Wolfgang makes Kool-Aid, too.

I have (no joke) probably directly helped 100+ folks DECIDE to buy a VIPER... Some folks here even 'consulted' on numerous calls before buying their Snake.
And, another 50+ influenced to buy Rams, Neons, Stratus (Strati?) and Durangos.
When I shop locally, I'm known as "The Dodge Guy".....a term that would have caused me to blush or **** before 1991. Now its a proud badge indeed, all because of the VIPER.....

Thanks for asking, Joe........... did I even help you decide waay back ???

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
68 Dodge Coronet (tiny 318, which I was real sorry wasn't a 383 4 bbl)
70 Dodge Charger 440 (there, that felt better)
72 Plymouth Fury Station Wagon
Went over to the other brands for close to 30 years
92 Jeep GC
99 Jeep GC
2000 Viper GTS
2001 Viper GTS
2003 Viper SRT
SRT Ram on order
SRT GTS "on the list"

VOI7 was fantastic (my first but NOT last)

Dodge City USA (I believe the name) visited KC last year. Was great!

AND last but not least, this VCA forum is a blast.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, no Chrysler direct connection here. Oops, a play on words. Okay, how about Mopar rules! These are all from memory so I could have some of the years wrong.

1956 Chevrolet Belair 2 Dr hardtop (wish I still had it)
1957 Chevrolet Nomad 2 Dr Wagon (350 Vette engine/trans)
1973 AMC Gremlin 5.9L (ugly to the bone but fast for the 70's)
1977 Dodge Ramcharger (used)
1983 Dodge Charger 2.2 (1st new car)
1985 Chrysler LeBaron GTS Turbo
1988 Dodge Shadow
1989 Dodge Spirit Turbo
1990 Plymouth Voyager
1991 Chrysler LeBaron convertible
1993 Dodge LH
1993 Dodge Caravan Sport
1994 Jeep Cherokee
1995 Chrysler LeBaron convertible
1995 Dodge Viper RT/10
1996 Chrysler Cirrus
1997 Doodge Neon
1998 Dodge LH
1999 Dodge Neon
1999 Chrysler Sebring convertible
2000 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2001 Dodge Stratus
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2003 Jeep Liberty
2003 Viper SRT

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had a Dodge. Then one day I saw a black GTS spank the crapp out of a motorcycle(closed track of course).

I went out and bought my Viper.

Few months latter I happen to meet up with a Viper owner and told him the story.

Turned out it was THAT guys Viper. He had sold the black Viper and bought a red striped one.

That man is . . . .

Gerald.

You know the one from Tampa area. :)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whoops,forgot the 95 Neon, but I gotta step up with Ron. It took some ko-hoknees to admit to owning a Gremlin X with the 304 V8 .......uh............. I
actually owned two of them, aargh!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also was a Pontiac man until the 488 hit the streets. Never considered a Chrysler product before that.

Since then, I have purchased 2 Town & Country minivans ('94 & '02) beside my Viper ('96) plus have directly influenced family members to purchase:

1 - Dodge Intrepid
1 - Dodge Durango
1 - Chrysler LHS
1 - Chrysler Concorde Limited

Beyond that I have recommended Chrysler products to many individuals that so far directly resulted in the purchasing / leasing of 2 Dodge Caravans, one LHS and one Ram pickup. In addition, the great camaraderie of the VCA and the terrific VOI7 experience reinforces my loyalty to D/C and their products.

All told, I account for 11 Chrysler products purchased because Dodge had the guts to build the Viper. All this despite a generally frustrating dealer service / warranty experience.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, but I replaced the 304 with a 360. Does that gain any points. With single wheel woonder I could smoke that right rear tire 'till the cows came home. But brake or turn, oh my!

Bill it does take courage to admit owning one of them things. God they were UGLY!

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, good post..Here goes ..

Parents purchased my first hot rod new, I took over it when I turned 16 and restored it, then sold it.

72 Plymnouth Satellite 2 door 318 motor-sold
85 Plymouth Fifth Ave 10,000 original miles they still have
70 Cuda 440 six-pac still have it..Lemon twist yellow blk top
Work Vans- 1998 2500 serie dodge van.
1988 dodge ram pickup

The beast- 2000GTS ALL BLK, 2200 MILES NEW.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never owned a Dodge until 1995. I was considering a Mid Year Corvette. Could not find the right one. So I purchased the New American Car.

1995 Viper
1969 GTX 440
1969 Hemi Daytona
1996 GTS
2000 Rt/10
2003 SRT
2003 CC

Looking for a super Crew Tow Vehicle Can't find a Dodge so i'm going to purchase Ford F 450 Dually. Come One Make the T-Rex, Power Wagon. Need a large SUV, Durango too Small.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper was an impulse buy. I love harassing car salesmen, so I went to a dealer south of SF just inquiring about used Vipers. Before I knew it I was test driving an '01 RT. After attempting to leave 4 times the owner made me an offer I could not pass up, so I bought it.

1968 New Yorker(inheruted)
1997 Prowler
2001 RT

Looking for a Ram, I think I will go look right now. :usa:

ps-I have always been uncomfortable when I take the car to the dealer and the service people really give the car too much attention IMO. I mean it's like they push other customers aside as if my car is any more important. It works out great for me, but I think it is disrespectful to other consumers. It's probably a dealer issue more so than brand wide. Personally, I don't think just because I spent more on a car that I should get better service, but it happens and I then I feel bad.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh, a trip down memory lane! I was a 426 Hemi guy to begin with, although, ironically, they were all Plymouths for me. My very first Dodge was a 440 Dart, purchased new from Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge in 1969.

Continued to play with Hemi's through the early 80's. Even did my duty as a board member of the National Hemi Owners Association back then. However, I got divorced, moved to Texas, tackled a new career, and Mopar was gone for me. I'm glad Chrysler survived their tough times back then, but it was not because of me. K-car?? Bleh!

I had always secretly been a Ford Cobra enthusiast, so as soon as the middle age bucks started to flow....... it was Cobra replicars and GT-350 Mustangs for me (although I did stuff a 426 Hemi in a Cobra replica and make a centerfold of Popular Hot Rodding in 1983).

1989 and the new Viper showcar won me back. Like so many others, the looks and power just knocked me off my feet. Dodge hooked me so good, My "fleet" now includes two Vipers, a Durango and a Dakota pickup. Think that's enough for a single guy??? :D All purchase new. Not only that, but the number of GM and Ford people I've "turned" to Dodge and DC now exceeds my feeble memory. I know the minivans have been a big seller, but I think the Viper has MADE Dodge since 1992. Way more than just a "halo" car IMO. And, if you think about it, the Viper's performance and image, thanks to PVO and all the new "SRT" spec cars, is spilling over to the whole product line. I sincerely believe the Viper, the new Ram trucks, the new Hemi engine, and the new rear wheel drive platform coming up stuffed with that Hemi, is going to carry Dodge and DC well through the tough economic times still ahead. Not to mention the coming Crossfire, Pacifica, and cool new versions of the PT Cruiser.

It's amazing what so few Vipers produced have done for Chrysler and now DC. I personally consider it's even bigger than Dodge's return to NASCAR. Look at the publicity alone that's been generated. Let's see...... how many magazine covers would have been generated for the corporation in the 90's without it?? Let's hope our DC execs never forget this history, or never let it get re-written! :usa:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Tony, that's quite an impressive list! ;)

OK - this is only funny before you edit your post.

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe as I went through my records I found cars that I had forgotten about below is the list.. I never owned a Dodge, Jeep or Chrysler till I went into a local dealer in 1993 to see and order a Viper. I was told the wait might be up to 18 months. While there I saw a black 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. At the dealers suggestion I took it home for the weekend to "try it out". I came back on Monday and purchased it as well as a white version of it for my wife.

A year later I went back to see on the progress of the Viper order and was told I would probably see my Viper in the early part of 1995. While there I saw a black 94 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and decided to buy it for my construction company to see how it compared to the ford and Chevy trucks that I had. Within a year I had decided to switch the company over to Dodge Rams.

I recieved my first Viper in early 1995. Below are all the cars and trucks I have bought since that first trip to order my Viper.

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (new)
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (new)
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 (new)
1995 Dodge Ram 3500 (new)
1995 Dodge Viper (new)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (new)
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 (new)
1996 Dodge Viper RT/10 (new)
1996 Dodge Viper GTS (new)
1996 Dodge Viper GTS (used)
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 (used)
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 (used)
1997 Dodge Neon (new)
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 (used)
1998 Dodge Viper GTS (new)
1998 Dodge Viper GTS (used)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 (new)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 (used)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 (new)
1999 Dodge Neon (new)
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan (new)
2001 Dodge Viper RT/10 (new)
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser (new)

This list doesn’t reflect the whole picture though. Almost every employee of mine bought a Ram, Intrepid or Neon for there family. The construction site started to change also and you could soon see Dodge Rams becoming the truck of choice. When my family gets together for the holidays you would think we could open up a Dodge dealership.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can´t compete with you from the US...

1993 Chrysler Minivan (new)
1996 Dodge Caravan (new)
1999 JEEP Grand Cherokee (new)
2001 VIPER GTS (used)

Thinking about purchasing a 2003 Chrysler Town&Country

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics