Thermostat housing leaking - what else to service?

joshwars

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took the car in for service and the tech found that the thermostat housing was leaking creating a pool of antifreeze on the intake (2002 GTS). While they have it apart, is there anything else I should have them service or that I should replace as preventative maintenance? Should I replace the factory thermostat with a 170* (I am in the north east)?

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now is the time to go to the 170 Degree thermostat, then you can get a DC Performance upgraded Computer (which requires the lower temp unit) and you will get a much faster, smoother Viper that runs cooler also.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do a little searching on the stat temp. There are several sides to the fence on which to choose, including the fact that in a cooler area like you say you live in the engine could actually run too cool with a 170. In Texas where I live it makes no difference because the stat does not make a difference when it's 110 degrees out.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the car in for service and the tech found that the thermostat housing was leaking creating a pool of antifreeze on the intake (2002 GTS). While they have it apart, is there anything else I should have them service or that I should replace as preventative maintenance? Should I replace the factory thermostat with a 170* (I am in the north east)?

Have you looked at it yourself ? He probably meant on the block under the intake. I would say it's impossible to be "on" the intake. And yes, change the thermostat. I always use the Roe 170 thermostat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang