Thinking of Buying 09 ACR...advice?

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2002 GTS with about 8000 miles and I have been thinking about getting an ACR and found a 2009 with 300 miles on it. I'd be trading the 02.

Please tell me the good, bad and ugly about an 09.

Here is the 02

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Here is the ACR

You must be registered for see images

Thanks

Van

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depending on the price for the ACR, it'll be a hard pill to swallow knowing how much Gen2's are going for these days. hopefully they'll give you a good trade-in value for your car....

I'm waiting for the "Hey, you're going from yellow to red" comments....

OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I know about the yellow, I do like it. I have 3 Corvettes and 2 are red and my 67 is Marina blue. I will miss the yellow if I do the deal.

In ball park numbers we are at about $50k (total all taxes fees etc) and my car but I may be throwing an 09 Harley into the deal and I'm waiting to see how that works out. Should know more later today.

Anyone done business with Marino Performance in WPB Florida?

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get 'r done!!!

Loved the pic of the kiddo dusting the Viper! My 8-yr old loves helping clean the car even though she doesn't seem to want to do anything else helpful around the house...

Good luck.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great color combo on the ACR. The former 'Ring champ colors.
Trust me, after driving the Gen 4 ACR you won't even remember the Gen 2.
They're that good.

OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I'm keeping the Corvettes. My wife has an 02 vert and we have a 67 427/400 coupe and a 2011 ZR1. I might be trading hers for a Grand Sport when the new ones come out.

04 that is my granddaughter 9 years old and a certified car nut. I don't show my cars but she got the idea she wanted to show one so her job was to clean the wheels and interior. We took it to a local McDonald's cruise in and she stayed with the whole time. She won the peoples choice award...(and here is the funny part) the trophy is sponsored by the local Corvette club.

Here she is with it.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I'm keeping the Corvettes. My wife has an 02 vert and we have a 67 427/400 coupe and a 2011 ZR1. I might be trading hers for a Grand Sport when the new ones come out.

04 that is my granddaughter 9 years old and a certified car nut. I don't show my cars but she got the idea she wanted to show one so her job was to clean the wheels and interior. We took it to a local McDonald's cruise in and she stayed with the whole time. She won the peoples choice award...(and here is the funny part) the trophy is sponsored by the local Corvette club.

Here she is with it.

Cute! Looks like you're raising a future Viper owner :)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If selling the vettes is not an option then just sit on the sidelines until the Gen5 comes out and then get a price on the 09.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 ACR. Sold my Gen II GTS to buy it, I miss the curves but the Gen IV is a blast to drive!

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Gen IV ACR over your current ride for a fun aspect, but I don't think it's worth 50k + the GTS.

Perhaps I'm off on prices, but I'd estimate your GTS is worth a few more grand than that. Cute picture and enjoy the rides!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50K seems like a lot with your GTS thrown in.
Is there any stories or bad history?
For the sake of argument, lets say 40K for your GTS....you're buying that ACR for 90K?

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pic and story about the grandkid...thanks for sharing! $50K out-the-door to go from 02 GTS to 08 ACR sounds about right...go for it!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The deal is a bit upside down because it's sounds like you have a prime car that has bottomed in value and is starting to come back up being traded for a car that is still not fully depreciated. The ACR will bottom eventually and start coming back up but it will be a while. Keep in mind that the ACR will be 4 model years old and no longer the latest and greatest thing in what is really just several weeks away. I hate to say it but the other factor is that the first 4 generations of vipers could also take a hit in value in a few months too as stock 600-650hp becomes available at Camaro and Mustang pricing with all the goodies, new car financing, all the latest bells and whistles and a full warranty.

OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 2009 with 300 miles, clean car fax and the 50 was total, out the door. They are asking $93k for the ACR. If they toss me around $15,000 for my Harley I think I'm going to do it.

No bad news with my 02, clean car fax. It was dealer owned until 08.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The deal is a bit upside down because it's sounds like you have a prime car that has bottomed in value and is starting to come back up being traded for a car that is still not fully depreciated. The ACR will bottom eventually and start coming back up but it will be a while. Keep in mind that the ACR will be 4 model years old and no longer the latest and greatest thing in what is really just several weeks away. I hate to say it but the other factor is that the first 4 generations of vipers could also take a hit in value in a few months too as stock 600-650hp becomes available at Camaro and Mustang pricing with all the goodies, new car financing, all the latest bells and whistles and a full warranty.

I was under the impression that this ACR is 600hp am I wrong?

Are you saying that the new Viper will be priced around $60-75,000? That sure would hurt the resale of older ones. Very good points to consider, thanks

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that this ACR is 600hp am I wrong?

Are you saying that the new Viper will be priced around $60-75,000? That sure would hurt the resale of older ones. Very good points to consider, thanks

The ACR is 600hp but your car is worth $45k on the worst day so you are paying at least $90k for the ACR IMO even though the price includes tax and fees. I believe the 600hp Camaro and 650hp mustangs will be $60k. I just think with all the new cars coming out in the next few months there could be some shifts in Viper values.

OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR is 600hp but your car is worth $45k on the worst day so you are paying at least $90k for the ACR IMO even though the price includes tax and fees. I believe the 600hp Camaro and 650hp mustangs will be $60k.

Ok how much is the 09 ACR worth in real dollars?

I asked the local Chevy dealer about the ZL1 camaro and he thought it would be in the $60-65 range but he didn't know for sure. I'm not a Camaro or Mustang guy.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the way I look at it.
While the Gen 4 ACR may not be the latest in a couple months, with 600 HP it still nicely holds it's own (err...defeats) any car unlike a Gen 2 with 450.
Not to mention the HUGE improvement in every performance aspect (motor, brakes, tranny on and on).

The jury will still be out on the greatest part.
Will the new Gen 5 beat the Gen 4 ACR around the 'Ring? Not a chance with no aero, even if it has 700 HP.
So guess what? You may not have the latest, but it may still be the greatest.
Until a Gen 5 ACR is announced.

Edit: Your GTS is nice, but no dealer will give you 45K for it.
He has to resell it, and he is NOT getting 50K for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can get a brand new 09 for 93k. you better act soon though, less than half a dozen left in the country.

Bruce

OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not all that concerned about the latest greatest. I think when the Gen 5 comes out it may take a couple years to work out any kinks it might have.

As for brute power, Zr1s come from the factory at 638hp and mine has been tweaked a smidge.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with John 100%. I was at a local dealer who has a 10 SSG/White ACR on the floor that the salesman said he is desperate to sell. He was willing to take my GTS on a trade and it's not worth nearly what yours is if it's as good as it looks with 8k miles. I think I saw an 09 white/blk/red ACR with 800 miles sell for $83k recently.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with John 100%. I was at a local dealer who has a 10 SSG/White ACR on the floor that the salesman said he is desperate to sell. He was willing to take my GTS on a trade and it's not worth nearly what yours is if it's as good as it looks with 8k miles. I think I saw an 09 white/blk/red ACR with 800 miles sell for $83k recently.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since they are not site sponsors i can not post that information, but they are out there.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten