This car looks like a steal to me...

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in no way affiliated with anyone selling this car (ironically I have also a 2000 GTS ACR solid red) but came across this one out of Georgia. I am not sure if I can provide links but it is an ebay car. 22,300 miles and looks to be in very good condition. It has the BBS wheels which I always look for as I find MANY ACRs don't have them. I think it has a buy it now at 40K and is advertised to "sell fast" which honestly; given the condition is more than fair given it's an ACR. If I am not mistaken, solid red was 1 of 35 for the year 2000. Just an FYI for those seeking cars.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, does look a bit of a bargain. The Palmer guys have gotten some negative references here, though I bought a non Viper and had no issue. Car is here

MODERATOR EDIT: NO LINKS UNLESS THE CAR IS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS HERE.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my Viper from them. It was a very smooth experience and the guys were great. I can refer you to them if you want. I can have a friend help you out with the price anyway he can. Let me know!

gutterworks129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a 2000 ACR from them last year, 18,000 miles, 38,500 out the door. Good price, clean car, DJ was a real good guy. He picked me up from the airport and the car was perfect. They have a white Mamba for sale for cheap. They seem to sell there cars at a low price. They probably **** at trade-ins! lol
You must be registered for see images attach

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i dont know if id call it a "steal." i looked at it on ebay when i was looking....
its a 2000 with 20k plus miles on it. it has neither forged internals nor abs, nor does it have factory stripes. those options (or years) add up. granted its an acr but i think you can find better.
dont get me wrong, its a nice car but i probably wouldnt spend more than 35k on it.
jmo

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know if id call it a "steal." i looked at it on ebay when i was looking....
its a 2000 with 20k plus miles on it. it has neither forged internals nor abs, nor does it have factory stripes. those options (or years) add up. granted its an acr but i think you can find better.
dont get me wrong, its a nice car but i probably wouldnt spend more than 35k on it.

jmo
Evo, some people don't like the ABS on their car, as for the eutectic cast-aluminum pistons in the 2000 models, they are Stronger & Lighter than the Forged ones. The Only reason you would prefer forged is if you were going to add a SC or Turbo! The cam is smoother & a lil' milder with 6 degrees less overlap with Revised High-Leakdown Lifters, don't believe me just look in the (Vipers Buyers Guide) . Like everything else it's just personal preference. jmo

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i hear ya, but i think 40k is a little steep considering the miles and the fact its missing an expensive option like stripes. if ya dont like stripes anyway thats great, but you shouldnt have to pay the same price as what you can find a striped car for.
im not knockin the car, just sayin at that price its not a "steal."
i believe you.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't mention the price, I too think that is at least 2-3k to high. Man, I keep fightin' myself over putting stripes on mine (I think its such a beauitiful color without them but I've seen some just like it with stripes that change the look so much not to mention looks awesome to). I've got a buddy of mine that does pinstripes & stuff for dealerships & I've thought about letting him put the vinyl stripes on it, that way I could always take them off. My son & wife both say no, so thats another reason I haven't done it yet (but it makes it look so much more sportier) is that a word? The 3.55 gears is the only other thing I've been beating myself up over (but thats for another day).

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't ACR Vipers come standard with the harness style seatbelts? I do not see them on the car in the pics. Better check the VIN number for verification that it is an ACR from the factory before pulling the trigger.

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, ACRs had 5 point harnesses installed in them from the good boys at Dodge. Call Chuck Tator, he can tell you just about anything about a Viper as long as you provide him the VIN. He was extremely helpful when I was looking.

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Called Palmer Dodge and offered 37k cash to see if they would bite. They said they can't as it seems to be below what they paid for it.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha let them sit on it. 37k is high to me anyway that car isn't worth that. If it wasn't a red 2000 maybe, but that color with no stripes and year, coupled with the miles makes it worth less.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Evo, some people don't like the ABS on their car, as for the eutectic cast-aluminum pistons in the 2000 models, they are Stronger & Lighter than the Forged ones. The Only reason you would prefer forged is if you were going to add a SC or Turbo! The cam is smoother & a lil' milder with 6 degrees less overlap with Revised High-Leakdown Lifters, don't believe me just look in the (Vipers Buyers Guide) . Like everything else it's just personal preference. jmo

Off Topic...
Ah the creampuff debate once again. :) I'll play!
"Stronger and lighter than forged ones".....debatable point, rehashed a thousand times here.

Given the option in the "creampuff" years of getting forged versus cast pistons, what would you choose?
It would be overwhelmingly forged. In fact, I doubt anyone would take the cast.
So much for the "better" argument.

As for the cam, No comparison in sound.
'96 -'99 708 cams much lumpier and rougher ala old time muscle cars.
Worried about "smoothness"?...LOL......In a Viper....

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well it may not be a "steal" as no one is buying anything viper really. However, it is a good price. Granted I got mine cheaper but that was in 09 when things were worse. Stripes is an opinion and while MANY were striped, in the year 2000, 35 were solid red. So that car is 1 of 35 (that DOES count). Miles aren't that high; gimme a break. I didn't check out every 100 pictures but if it does not have the harnesses or if they are just hidden; that would be important. Some people tend to undervalue the ACR package and I have no idea why.

The suspension, BBS wheels, kn, smooth tubes, exclusivity, harnesses, all add up. Not only do I prefer the look of the BBS wheels; they are lighter. They are just a PITA to clean and super expensive. In the previous elementary school argument over what year is the best, one was forgotten: "The 2000 viper was the fastest testing Gen II car." - It has hidden horsepower obviously :p

But seriously ACRs are rare; and the package is not only a useful package, it is a costly package that still would be costly to "replicate." So some may go for a rare colour combo and that is considered "smart" but an ACR is "overpriced because it's red? Come on. Rare is not only defined by package, but you HAVE to look at the registry to truly determine "rare" and in 2000 SOLID RED was rare (at least on the ACR). Now desirable is another story....

But by some posters logic, this "high mileage" ACR should be 40k-3k (due to colour) and that puts an ACR at 37K. So what does that put a GTS? 33K? I thought those days were gone? Unless this will be a cyclical argument over "well colour combo is what counts." I would just argue gimme a 1 of 35 Red ACR any day due to rarity over a "good colour" Sapphire blue GTS same mileage and price. GTS-R>ACR>GTS>RT/10 in terms of value.

Last edited:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off Topic...
Ah the creampuff debate once again. :) I'll play!
"Stronger and lighter than forged ones".....debatable point, rehashed a thousand times here.

Given the option in the "creampuff" years of getting forged versus cast pistons, what would you choose?
It would be overwhelmingly forged. In fact, I doubt anyone would take the cast.
So much for the "better" argument.

As for the cam, No comparison in sound.
'96 -'99 708 cams much lumpier and rougher ala old time muscle cars.
Worried about "smoothness"?...LOL......In a Viper....
Jon, I was just going by what the VIPER BUYER's GUIDE says (you may have a better research team). Cam is definitely milder(but power output is the SAME). Not everybody that owns a Viper wants it to sound like a HOT ROD! Like anything else, just WHAT you want in YOUR car! jmo

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
some very good points, but to answer your question on whether or not you can get a 2000 gts with some miles for low mid, to mid 30s is YES, all day long.
be careful, there is a big difference in what people may THINK their car is worth and what they actually get when they try to sell.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
some very good points, but to answer your question on whether or not you can get a 2000 gts with some miles for low mid, to mid 30s is YES, all day long.
be careful, there is a big difference in what people may THINK their car is worth and what they actually get when they try to sell.

Maybe so; I don't check the market anymore. I got a great deal on mine in 2009 and have no plans to sell. These cars are getting rarer and rarer. The noted car is an ACR which limits it's exclusivity big time. Sure people can throw in KN/Smooth Tubes all day long but the harnesses, suspension and BBS wheels and logos all add up. Why people aren't scooping these cars up I have NO IDEA. If I were rich (and am not even close) I would buy a ton of them and let them sit. Arguing over 40 Vs 37K is so stupid when these cars eventually appreciate. But it doesn't matter to me because I "appreciate" it every time I turn on the ignition and the V10 comes to life breathing fire through 3 inch straight pipes with no mufflers all the way to the exit with megs chrome exhaust tips.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I wouldn't sell my 2000 ACR for 40K or 45K not a chance. For those of you that love to speculate on what something is worth, I just smile. Not every car has the same value, a slimeball used sales guy will love you to believe that. This isn't a Honda Civic or a Chevy Corvette. Good luck on your lowball'n, some people settle for a pile of crap just so they can say they own a certain mark. I've bought two identical ACR's and I hashed through a bunch of mediocre cars. The difference between a great car and an average car can easily be over 10K. But hey I'm a perfectionist and not a tire kicker. I didn't buy my car worrying about what the next weasel will give me for it. Sorry for the rant, but these tire kickers are really getting old.

Half the threads here have to do with guys talking about their 60K agreed value policy's, and the other half are guys talking about how used up a 20K mile Viper is and how it's not worth anything. Dude 37K for an ACR, what a rip off.........................hey bro did you know that EACH ACR shock is $2,800 and EACH wheel is about $3,000.

Last edited:

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I wouldn't sell my 2000 ACR for 40K or 45K not a chance. For those of you that love to speculate on what something is worth, I just smile. Not every car has the same value, a slimeball used sales guy will love you to believe that. This isn't a Honda Civic or a Chevy Corvette. Good luck on your lowball'n, some people settle for a pile of crap just so they can say they own a certain mark. I've bought two identical ACR's and I hashed through a bunch of mediocre cars. The difference between a great car and an average car can easily be over 10K. But hey I'm a perfectionist and not a tire kicker. I didn't buy my car worrying about what the next weasel will give me for it. Sorry for the rant, but these tire kickers are really getting old.

Half the threads here have to do with guys talking about their 60K agreed value policy's, and the other half are guys talking about how used up a 20K mile Viper is and how it's not worth anything. Dude 37K for an ACR, what a rip off.........................hey bro did you know that EACH ACR shock is $2,800 and EACH wheel is about $3,000.

so you shoot the messenger?

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree. Seems many of us owners lament that our Viper prices are comparitively low to other cars in its performance/rarity class... yet others discuss low-balling and how they know of a cheaper one, 'would never pay that rip-off price', et cetera.

No matter, a good Viper is a serious value in the performance car world.

Small sidestep but relative to value: I re-watched "America's Greatest Race Car" (about the Daytona Coupe with Pete Brock, Bondurant, Shelby) and marvelled how similar the GTS's lines are, the layout, and even the Lemans victory lineage. Toward the end of the show they mention that the price to ship the Daytonas back to the US was more than the cars' then-current value.

"One day" as they say, current Viper prices will seem like a ridiculous dream.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of us may not live to see it but a time will come when people will rebuild GTS's from oil stains and sell them for a King's ransom.

I agree. Seems many of us owners lament that our Viper prices are comparitively low to other cars in its performance/rarity class... yet others discuss low-balling and how they know of a cheaper one, 'would never pay that rip-off price', et cetera.

No matter, a good Viper is a serious value in the performance car world.

Small sidestep but relative to value: I re-watched "America's Greatest Race Car" (about the Daytona Coupe with Pete Brock, Bondurant, Shelby) and marvelled how similar the GTS's lines are, the layout, and even the Lemans victory lineage. Toward the end of the show they mention that the price to ship the Daytonas back to the US was more than the cars' then-current value.

"One day" as they say, current Viper prices will seem like a ridiculous dream.

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll sell this one for $37,500...BOTTOM DOLLAR!

I'm not normally a fan of stripes, but thats a gorgeous car, Great pics too, my favorite is the one in your garage because its obvious you've cared for the car well. Hope you get every penny, seems worth it and more.

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Draws a crowd wherever it goes...I was taking pictuers of it when a wedding party rolled up and wanted pics with it! lol

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Provided, that car is technically ok (looks spectacular though), I would pay 37,500 US$. Unfortunately, I do not have the money at this moment at hand ;-(

Cheers,

Holgi

rainmakr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an ACR up on one of the big auction sites now - but after reading this thread and Camfab's post, I'm having second thoughts. Such a beautiful ride and good points about the actual cost. Tough decision to part with her. As for pricing, it's never easy. It's basically just a crapshoot. I just looked to see what others were going for and priced accordingly - even though I felt I had a lot more invested.

Mine has custom paint (flames) and fairly extreme audio so many ACR purists might not like it anyway - but that's ok. I didn't buy it as an investment. I bought it to enjoy it, hit some shows, cruise some rallies, and use in some photoshoots. I bought the ACR because it was the best available at the time. I remembered that fact and acted accordingly anytime I did anything in terms of "upgrades." If it hurt the value in any way, then I can live with it. It's a better car now than it was when I got it new from the dealer (IMHO). Having said that, I guess one small part of my brain saw the need to honor its legacy because I have to admit that I made sure to keep all the original gear along with the ability to return it to stock without any issues.

I am curious though - what is the opinion of the community regarding bone stock versus non-stock older vipers? Honestly, I never knew this was much of an issue until now. It's always been a huge hit at every Viper rally and show - so I never really worried about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960