Throttle hanging/hunting....

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The throttle seems to hang anywhere between 1500-2600 intermittently but is getting worse. Anyone else have this problem. Sometimes it will increase throttle on its own.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Search "Idle hang". VERY common problem.

(the IAC motor is on the right side of your passenger side throttle body. You'll see a hose connecting it to your airbox)

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I have researched on here, it is a problem with one of the following:

-IAC valve
-TPS
-intake gaskets
-O2
-PCM tune

Anyone else have something to add?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then check the IAC.....its not the PCM. The stockers are pretty solid.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have researched on here, it is a problem with one of the following:

-IAC valve
-TPS
-intake gaskets
-O2
-PCM tune

Anyone else have something to add?
GEN II:
Reviving an old post to add some positive results. I checked all of the above and yes, the performance PCM tune was the beginning of the problems. I went into the tune settings and there wasn't anything there that I could see causing a problem. I replaced my IAC valve, cleaned my TPS, check the intake and vacuum lines with starting fluid and replaced O2 sensors. I also have done over 1 1/2 years of trial and error testing to try to determine the cause of my fast idle being erratic until I get down to below 10 mph and then it settles in at around 600 rpm. The fast idle when I pushed in the clutch was swinging between 1,000 and 2,000 rpm. This happened in ALL conditions - open loop, closed loop, with and without AC, with and without brake being applied. I tried every variable I could think of to try to narrow down the cause. This has been going on for over 18 months, guys! If I took the car back to stock tune, it stopped, but I didn't want to give up the HP that I picked up with my tune.

SUCCESS! I was checking the oil last night and I remembered having read something about the left (driver's side) throttle body should open 'slightly' before the right throttle body. I hadn't touched the little set screw for the throttle bodies since they seemed to be in perfect sync. I SHOULD have touched the throttle bodies!! I loosened up the set screw to allow the left to start to move just a hair before the right. Wiggling the shaft that controls that gave back a very slight 'slop' between stop and start when I was done.

RESULTS: I drove the car for 60-70 miles today, both highway and city, hot and cold, with and without air. Every time I pushed in the clutch at speed, the tach held at 2,000 rpm (no stuttering) for the first 30 miles. After that, the learning mode of the PCM took over and dropped that high idle down to 1,500. It stays there until below about 10 mph and then it drops to a steady 600 rpm. I think this was the problem all along .... and such a simple fix. I can't believe that the shop that did the tune didn't check that when I complained for 6 months about the problem that their tune had caused.

I hope someone else can gain from my 18 months of hating to pull to a stop next to another car ... it sounded like I was revving my engine as I slowed down. I'll let everyone know if it changes, but I think I'm good on this issue.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I fiddled with all of those items, but it wasn't until I replaced my faulty engine temperature sensor that it all went away. Almost two years now, still no idle hang. (knock on wood)

ttamez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having this issue where it sounds like I'm revving as I'm slowing down and in neutral. (1000rpm, 1500rpm, 1000rpm, repeat). however it only happens when i'm running a/c. which one of these items should I try first given that? it has a paxton running on an sct tune.