"ticking" Engine?

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my engine just started "ticking." i usually associate a sound like that to be a belt. this is not a belt (i don't think.) the sound seems to be coming from the engine itself. valves? pistons? what could it be? i'll get it to the shop a.s.a.p. on monday but i'm really curious (and concerned)! my god... it is the first nice weekend i've had since buying the car.... and i'm scared to take it out.

p.s. the "ticking" depends on the speed too. the faster i go, the faster it ticks. the slower i go, the slower it ticks. i want to drive it!!!!!! but i don't want to drive it and make something bad worse!

HELP!.......... what could it be? and how bad is it? i'm not concerned considering the car is a new '06 that i got with 8 miles on it and i have just over 500 miles now. whatever needs to be fixed will be (for free) but i still want to know "what" it is.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
come on........ nobody has an idea? even a slight idea? a guess? i can't believe that i posted this like 4-5 hours ago and got not one reply! what's up with that?

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too just bought a new 06' SRT-10 Cuope with 4 mi. on it. I now have almost 300 mi. on it. I too noticed a ticking sound that sounds like a solid lift engine that needs a valve adjustment or what another VCA member described as " A Sewing Machine" sound. If this sounds like what your hearing then dont be too concerned. I only say this because I called Chuck Tator to ask him about this very noise and he said that it is normal for the Viper motor to soumd like that. Alot of other Viper owners have said that theirs makes the same noise. I guess it cant hurt to check the oil level and stick to the break in period procedure until 1000 mi. At least that is what I am doing. Hope this helps.:)

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar sound but was more apparent in third gear. Mine came from the transmission, but after 500 miles, it just about has gone away. I can barely hear it now but now it sounds like it comes from the engine bay in all gears now. It is not very noticable though.

Could these sounds just be from lot rot (things not too well lubed from sitting for so long), which is what I attributed my issue to? I still have not gone over 3000 rpm and have just over 500 miles on it.

Other than this very small ticking which I still think is coming from my transmission, I do not have the lifter, piston, head ticking everyone else seems to be hearing.

had to tell exactly what sound you are referring too.