Ticking Sound in 05 Motor

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper ownership has been ridiculous thus far, and I'm looking for some expertise to give me a little hope. I bought an 05 with 33000 miles on it, only to throw a bearing within the first 600 miles. Dealer advised an engine swap, so I ordered one off of eBay that has (supposedly) 10,000 miles on it. After a MONTH at the dealership, they finally fired it up today, and it's making a loud ticking noise under the left valve cover near the aft end. Additionally, the electrical system isn't charging the battery (they already tried replacing the alternator with my other one), and there's no spark at one of the cylinders (not where it's ticking). Hopefully the spark issue can be resolved with a different wire and the electrical issue fixed by finding/repairing a broken wire in the harness or replacing the harness with the old one. Could the ticking noise be from a sticky lifter or something like that since the engine sat for a while? I'm a smart enough guy, but my engine knowledge could use a little help. Thanks.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could be one of a few things. A bad lifter is possible, which is not a difficult or expensive fix. Could also be a bent pushrod for the lifter, which I hear is common when an engine is started cold and given a quick stab at the throttle. Lastly, it could be another bearing. I had a bearing failure like yours and the earliest signs were a ticking sound that just kept getting worse.

OP
OP

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Scott. Since I've waited this long, I'll just assume the worst and hope for the best. On the bright side, I've got a complete engine with lots of good parts on it, if I need them. I looked at similar posts on this site, and I see that an exhaust leak is a common source of the tick, but I don't have a frame of reference. This ones pretty loud, and it sounds like it's near the top of the engine.

Last edited:

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they changed the engine did they replace the oil cooler and lines as well?If not then you stand the chance of failing the new engine due to debris in the old cooler.Easy enough to pull the valve cover to check for a bent push rod.If is a lifter you have to pull the head to change.Not a easy job.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it TICK TICK TICK TICK...or is it tick tick tick tick........these engines have a tick. Good luck.

OP
OP

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a TICK TICK TICK. Rocker slack adjustment, maybe?

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 that had a ticking sound on the driver's side of the motor. Sounded like under the valve covers. Turned out to be a cracked exhaust manifold. Tech found it, replaced it, and tick is gone. He told me there was some kind of problem with the manifolds because he had seen a few Vipers with the same problem.

OP
OP

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just called the tech to have him check the exhaust manifolds. They were removed from the old engine for use on the new one, so there could be something to that theory. Before anybody asks, new gaskets were definitely used, as we waited a week for them to show up.