Tips On Driving From SF to Palm Springs

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm hoping to take my new SSG vert to Palm Springs in Feb. I'm familiar with most of the routes from past trips: Coast 1, 101, I-5, the 210 and North of the San Gabriels. They are all good roads and have their purposes depending on if one wants to take their time or get there in a hurry.

If any one would like to share some Viper specific tips to make this a safe and enjoyable adventure it would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty confident that my Viper is as reliable an exotic as exists, but anything can happen like flats or the occasional milk crate in the middle of the road. If I should need a tire repair can most tire shops handle it or should I get flat-bedded to a specialty shop? Can AAA handle tansporting a Viper or is it better to use the Dodge help number? Is the air compressor and slime in the trunk good for anything?

Are there any Dodge dealers along the way with techs or independent shops along the way? Any in Palm Springs?

Any one know if the Crest Route 2 through the San Gabriels is passable this time of year? Last time I tried it, it was closed due to winter damage. If open would you reccommend it or is there too much snow?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Palm Springs area. Pm me and let's have lunch when you get here!

101 is a nice drive.... too many damn state troopers when you get south of Carmel/ Salinas

If you been to Carmel then just take the I-5 to the 210 to the I-10 and get here fast.....

Good dealer here in Palmsprings no worry there. Most shops can handle tire repair. Take a can of fix a flat just in case.

Don't worry, the Viper is pretty bullet proof. Gas is cheap now too!

PS. Put on a good coat of wax and I will wash it for you when you get here....

The I-10 can be a *****

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and tips guys. Newport Viper, thanks for the lunch offer, I'll make contact when I get closer in. That's a funny pic of the I-10. I recall driving on it a couple of years back in my Jeep Wrangler when I felt a shaking so bad I pulled off the freeway fearing I blew a tire. After checking the tires and seeing if anything was hanging loose from the suspension, I carried on. I got the same rocking and rolling on a subsequent trip in a Landcruiser in the same area. If I recall right, this was in the area near the big train yard in Riverside or San Bernadino. If I do this stretch in the Viper it should be a fun roller-coaster ride. I nominate this stretch of I-10 for the worst paved hiway on the planet.

Cheers,
tt

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made the drive from SF to LA last year in my 97GTS.. no problems at all. Just make sure you get gas when the meter reads quarter left. Gas goes out QUICK in a Viper. :D

In the bay area too... tennis sometime? We can play for pinks! :lmao:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am heading to Palm Springs in March for a conference at the Marriott Desert Springs. It always is a good time. Anybody have any suggestions for a dinner party up to 100?

OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Made the drive from SF to LA last year in my 97GTS.. no problems at all. Just make sure you get gas when the meter reads quarter left. Gas goes out QUICK in a Viper. :D

In the bay area too... tennis sometime? We can play for pinks! :lmao:

Thanks for the tips Warfang. I play at SFTC and in Marin. I play with a Prince Original Graphite. I've had it so long that I don't think the state of CA issued pinks for tennis racquets back then. What kind of racquet are you bringing to the fray? If it's a ****, I'll need some bisque points. :)

By the way, where do you take your Viper for service in NorCal? My Jeep and Dodge dealers have all closed, John Irish in San Rafael and Albera Jeep (SF Chrysler). It's much easier to get an oil change for a BMW, Porsche or Ferrari around here--I think the last FIAT dealer was Harold Menzies out on Geary Blvd about 20 years ago, maybe they'l be re-opening.

OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nepenthe, Big Sur, CA 93920 - (831) 667-2345

This is a nice place to stop and eat. They have a webcam too.

Thanks Venomiss, Nepenthe is a nice place to stop. I think that's where Kim Novak danced above the cliffs. Looking forward to taking the Viper for a run on that nice stretch of road from Carmel to Hearst Castle. Gotta' keep an eye on the road though to keep from going over those 800 foot cliffs. :nono:

That reminds me, there's a motel in San Simeon that has a couple of tennis courts behind it, I think one still had a net on it last time I went by and an indoor pool and a hot-tub. I think it's called the Courtesy Inn. Nothing fancy but not many tennis courts in San Simeon accept the one up at the Castle that Charlie Chaplin used to play on with Marion Davies and poor little William Randolph.

Cheers

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Palm Springs area. Pm me and let's have lunch when you get here!

101 is a nice drive.... too many damn state troopers when you get south of Carmel/ Salinas

If you been to Carmel then just take the I-5 to the 210 to the I-10 and get here fast.....

Good dealer here in Palmsprings no worry there. Most shops can handle tire repair. Take a can of fix a flat just in case.

Don't worry, the Viper is pretty bullet proof. Gas is cheap now too!

PS. Put on a good coat of wax and I will wash it for you when you get here....

The I-10 can be a *****

It looks like you left some yellow parts along the way. :rolaugh: ;)

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Venomiss, Nepenthe is a nice place to stop. I think that's where Kim Novak danced above the cliffs. Looking forward to taking the Viper for a run on that nice stretch of road from Carmel to Hearst Castle. Gotta' keep an eye on the road though to keep from going over those 800 foot cliffs. :nono:

Cheers

Your probably should take the I-5 and skip the scenery........:rolaugh:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll have to get together a play a bit. I will be in Concord for the month of Feb. Hoping to meet up with Warfang to play a bit :2tu:

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Warfang. I play at SFTC and in Marin. I play with a Prince Original Graphite. I've had it so long that I don't think the state of CA issued pinks for tennis racquets back then. What kind of racquet are you bringing to the fray? If it's a ****, I'll need some bisque points. :)

By the way, where do you take your Viper for service in NorCal? My Jeep and Dodge dealers have all closed, John Irish in San Rafael and Albera Jeep (SF Chrysler). It's much easier to get an oil change for a BMW, Porsche or Ferrari around here--I think the last FIAT dealer was Harold Menzies out on Geary Blvd about 20 years ago, maybe they'l be re-opening.

ooooh man... you're oooold school. Meaning your arthritis keeps you from hitting anything past 25mph, but your experience can land a ball on a flea's @$$ anywhere on the court. :lmao:

I lugged around an original Wilson Profile for over 15 years until I recently decided to cheat and get an oversized, nano tech fancy doohicky of a racket. Soon after I got it, I proceeded to injure my knee horribly, so I haven't used it much. Well once RT gets here, we should find a fourth and do doubles... easier to place the blame on a partner. :D

The only person I trust my Viper with is Ted May over at Valaya. But if you're looking for warranty work, I think there are some dealers in the south bay that work on Vipers occasionally.

Valaya Racing

OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Warfang,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you, but, I was busy playing tennis, what else! I play at clubs in SF and Marin and would love to hit with felllow Viper owners. I like to just hit for practice or doubles is good. As you intuited, I have an arthritic right hip, I'm a junior in the 60's but have a 90 year old right hip--but I refuse a hip replacement--I've found, over the years, that OEM parts are always better.

I remember the Wilson Profile racket well. It was a breakthrough stick in the oversize, very light rackets, I still see them out there on occasion.

Thanks for the tip on Valaya and Ted May. I've heard they're the top independent shop in the BayArea and will probably be seeing them in the future. If anyone knows a shop or dealer in the NorthBay: SF, Marin or Sonoma, that can handle oil changes and routine maintanace, I would appreciate hearing about them. John Irish Chrysler, which used to sell them has unfortunately closed down.

Cheers,
tt

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to tell you.... that there is enough space behind the seats next to the rear window for your tennis gear. I have courts where I live. And my elbow is good to go. :)

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just drove down Hwy 10 from Ontario to Palm Springs Tuesday night and am gong back today..(unfortunately in a rental car, a complete piece of junk Toyota Yaris). At night Hwy 10 had quite a few cops but the speed limit is 70 and I was able to link up with a group of cars going 90. Made the trip faster and had little fear of a ticket in the group of cars. Not a bad drive... I hope the Yaris holds up....

OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer of the carwash Newport Viper and for the hit. The trip is tentative at this point but I'm hoping to do it in mid-Feb. They're having a charity event at Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage. They're going to have a car show for it.

I was just down there (drove a Toyota Landcruiser because I took my girl friend and my cat). I played an inter-club social match at Shadow Mountain CC and liked the lay-out of the club there and hope to stay there some time. Mission Hills CC is hard to beat for it's Garden of Eden surroundings and GRASS Courts and clay.

My Viper vert trunk has plenty of room for my sticks and all of life's other neccessities. I'll get in touch when I'm headed down and would lood forward to a hit with you.

Regards,
tt

OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just drove down Hwy 10 from Ontario to Palm Springs Tuesday night and am gong back today..(unfortunately in a rental car, a complete piece of junk Toyota Yaris). At night Hwy 10 had quite a few cops but the speed limit is 70 and I was able to link up with a group of cars going 90. Made the trip faster and had little fear of a ticket in the group of cars. Not a bad drive... I hope the Yaris holds up....

Hi JCaspar,

I just came back in my Toyota Landcuiser from SoCal and definitely have to stay alert. In NorCal the congestion keeps you from going too fast usually. In SoCal, the hot-shots weaving in and out--no turn signals of course--NASCAR wannabees. They are RUDE and BAD drivers. Way too fast for conditions, tail-gateting, etc.

Sure enough, on the I-5, near Magic Mountain through Newhall, north-bound, I suddenly saw brake lights in front of me and debris, a car bumper skipping around and then a compact car spinning out of control being bashed about by other cars, the center divide and the guard rail.

Fortunately I was in my Landcruiser and negotiated my way around the debris field of glass and plastic bits. When I passed the spun-out car, I could see the face of a Mexican woman in the passenger seat. The whole rear of the car was smahed in--hopefully no kids in the back. The windshield wipers were squirting away, no fire when I went by.

I wasn't at all suprised by the accident. It's a curvy and hilly stretch of I-5 and everyone was going too fast and too close for conditions. Tail-gating is the number one cause of accidents. Drive like you're in a bubble--you can't be hit or hit someone if they aren't there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I may be taking off to the desert late this week. It's raining cats and dogs up here in NorCal and it's much needed. I have heard dire warnings about Vipers in the wet stuff but I've also seen pics here of them in the snow.

The question is: If I drive the Viper conservatively, which I usually do, will it handle OK and not slide into the California Aquaduct? Or is there something special I need to know about it's handling in the wet? I assume if I get stupid with the skinny pedal I'll find out fast.

I made it 8000 miles across country and back without mishap, in my Jeep, a few winters ago. I drove on old US 50 when the entire country was a sheet of ice.

How deep a puddle can I go through without having to drive around it?

Any other advice on winter driving in a Viper?

Thanks,
tt

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's suppose to dry up Wed./Thursday. If there is any question, I would take the Jeep. And if you're leaving Friday, how about soem tennis on Thursday? :D :D

OP
OP
T

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another question regarding rain: What happens to the water that goes into the vents on the hood? Does it fall through the engine compartment or evaporate? Can too much water damage anything or short out electrics? Should the hood vents be covered when washing the Viper?

Thanks

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tennis Tom, Autoworld in Petaluma is a 5star dealer. Call 707 762 2712 ask for parts Dept. first and talk to David in parts. I know and trust him well. Tell him Ed sent you and ask him if their Viper tech is still there and tell him you have a Viper and what you want done. He will give you the straight skinney whether you should take it there for the work you need.

eagles

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question regarding rain: What happens to the water that goes into the vents on the hood? Does it fall through the engine compartment or evaporate? Can too much water damage anything or short out electrics? Should the hood vents be covered when washing the Viper?

Thanks

There is no reason to worry. I have daily driven Vipers in the hardest Orlando down pours, to the tropical and salt conditions in Hawaii. The 120 degree temps of the desert to The worst LA bumper to bumper traffic possible...

THESE CARS ARE BULLET PROOF

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT :drive:

Now stop worring and get your a$$ down here. :D