Tire spin with PS2s - no sound?

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually haven't gotten much tire spin in my '04 convertible, but every time the tires have spun, there has been absolutely no sound (none that I can hear over the engine anyway). I've had the tires break loose on a number of vehicles over the years, and there's usually some sort of tire squeal, but not in the Viper. Its a good thing the car is so well behaved; it never seems to want to fishtail, so on the few occasions where the tires have broken loose it was a non-issue, but its a bit disconcerting when the only indicator of tire spin is the lack of forward progress and the jump in RPM. :)

Is it just me or is this is the same for other folks? Is the lack of noise due to the compound of the PS2 tires? For those of you who track your cars, do they squeal around the corners?

BTW, speaking of tire spin, I had the car out today for the first time since the temperature dropped (its really starting to feel like fall up here in NY) and got some pretty severe tire spin as I pulled away from the corner at the end of my street. When I was doing my pre-purchase research, I read some posts here about the need to be careful in cold weather, and I can confirm that they were correct. :) (I've been meaning to ask about the lack of tire noise and my experience today reminded me that I hadn't gotten around to doing that yet.)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive noticed this once or twice too. i even asked the one guy i was running if he heard it and he said not at all. but the rpm's showed otherwise....

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The last set of PS2s I had were silent. For that matter, these old PS1s haven't chirped a bit on me either.

I'm starting to understand the warnings of tirespin though. Wasn't so prevalent on my last car, but the cooler weather has definitely changed the demeanor on these PS1s. The car is much more spin-happy now.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The last set of PS2s I had were silent. For that matter, these old PS1s haven't chirped a bit on me either.

I'm starting to understand the warnings of tirespin though. Wasn't so prevalent on my last car, but the cooler weather has definitely changed the demeanor on these PS1s. The car is much more spin-happy now.
Thanks for the info guys. I'm planning to purchase tires soon & concerned with Traction also. Leaning towards the Drag Radials for the twin turbo car for straight traction.:burnout:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have had many discussions about allowing the tires to heat up first but it is also important to note how many times the tires have been heat cycled. Every time you do a burn out you are doing same. The tire will get harder as it is heat cycled more. There will come a time when it is too hard to be safe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang