To buy or not to buy?

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After buying a few things for the viper and my 2 dailys I have a $400 left over to spend out of my winter car budget. Im looking for a power adder under that price. I know its not a easy task. After doing extensive research it looks like my choices are K&N intake, throttle body, under drive pulley, and the mopar race controller. Is there any i'm missing? What has been proven successful time and time again? Car is a 04 and the only current performance mod is the mopar 3" race exhaust. I'm sitting at 454 whp and 489 wtrq. I also have MGW shifter and woodhouse mounts. The mopar controller is matched to be with my current exhaust and the mopar cam. Any negative to getting the controller but not the cam. If I can get 10hp more from any of this i'd be happy. I am open to any advice.

Or maybe i'll just go buy a gun to add to my collection.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my car with the Mopar controller and race exhaust already installed, along with plugs and wires, by the previous owner. I have an 03. I've never dynoed it, but the car moves! Beware, here in PA, we can have some emissions issues with those mods - I'm under 5000 miles a year, so exempt, but be careful.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a Gen III I recommend either a K&N intake or a custom tune with an SCT Handheld. Either alone will net in the 15 rwhp range in my experience. The tune will net you approximately 10+ rwhp over the intake from 2-4k RPM, but above 4500 rpm the intake and tune yield similar results.

Combine the two for a net 25-30rwhp gain.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a comparison from my own '05 Viper. I do not sell parts and have nothing to gain no matter which way you go, just sharing my experience. I have no direct experience with the Mopar Controller for a Gen III, but I doubt it will show as good of a gain as a custom tune through experience with similar items in the GM and Ford realm.

I'm thinking of having a dyno day soon for guys in the PA/WV, VA/MD, NJ/NY areas if enough people are interested. You'd be more than welcome to attend if you'd like to make the ride.

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beware, here in PA, we can have some emissions issues with those mods - I'm under 5000 miles a year, so exempt, but be careful.

Thats what I love about living here in monroe county. As long as the car is registered here theres never been emissions no matter how much mileage I put on. I've had my car inspected twice since have the exhaust with no o2s and never a problem.

I'm thinking of having a dyno day soon for guys in the PA/WV, VA/MD, NJ/NY areas if enough people are interested. You'd be more than welcome to attend if you'd like to make the ride.

As long as its not to to far I would love to go to a local dyno day.

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok for now because of costs im probably going to buy a K&n intake. Has anyone heard anything about the volant intake are the horse power and torque numbers really as good as they claim on the websites. They claim 18hp and 40 ft/lbs of torque. I kinda find that hard to believe. Anyone have experience and proof of these gains?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have a K&N on mine. I know that alone, probably won't provide much gain, as the factory system is already very good.

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a K&N intake is it better to reinstall the cover over the intake or leave the top piece off. I've seen it both ways. Thanks

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I might be down for that depending on where you are at in DE.