*** to race plane

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next year there is an track event we are invited to again at a old RAF base, where the runway has a 2 mile straight which now forms part of the 4.5 mile circuit. This summer they had a tuned skyline go down the straight against a lightening old era fighter (it didnt take off), but in 05 *** will go around the circuit with a aerobatic plane completing the same 'circuit' at 600 feet up, cool. It will have to overshoot some the hairpin corners turnaround and come back, apprantly it has half the power and half the weight of **** viper.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"lightening"
Is that a P-38 Lightning?
Two Merlin V12s.

That's a very cool old aircraft. It will probably have a top speed of 450 mph+. Still, hard to see how it could race a hot car on a race course.
Too much overshoot on turns.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its going to be a Yak 52 which is a pretty tough aerobatics warbird type plane. Should be interesting :)
The plane that Neil was talking about was an English Electric Lightening, which was the first supersonic plane supplied to the RAF in the early 60's.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"English Electric Lightening"
Oh yes, that Lightning.
The one with two engines, one above the other?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I just looked up the YAK 52.

Engine: One 360-hp VMKB (Vedenyev) M-14P radial.
Weight: Empty 2,238 lbs., Max Takeoff 2,877 lbs.
Performance:
Maximum Speed: 223 mph

I think I'd bet on the car. I think it's probably faster even without being able to fly.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the video.....

You UK guys and gals should get yourselves a press agent. Also contact a few mags and Ripley's.

Cudaman :usa: