To sell or not too sell ?

gregoilman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, just joined, although I was a member back in 1994 and for many years when I also owned a 94’ RT/10. I am the original owner of a 96’ GTS Coupe, 5200 miles and kicking around idea of putting up for sale. I’ve seen prices all over the map and wanted any input of current value, and also if holding for another year would be beneficial? Car is immaculate, stock, NEVER had one drop of rain water on it or even driven on wet pavement, and oddly, no one else has ever driven this car other than myself. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Greg

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you are ready to part with it, I would suggest that you sell it now. Hard to predict long term market results. It is certainly hot now.

Good luck either way !

OP
OP
G

gregoilman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, it’s always a **** shoot when selling, the market for anything nowadays is highly unpredictable. I don’t have to sell, but I’d hate to see it really take off a year from now.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It feels like the Viper really has nowhere to go but up in prices, but then again I've never really thought of any car as an investment. My car could be worth $100k in the future and I'd still take it out to run errands just because I like it. Personally speaking I think the gen 2 market is pretty inflated as it seems more people are buying nostalgia than performance, at least compared to the other models. In that sense I suppose maybe they might start trending down a little as the people who used to have them as bedroom poster cars get older and the next generation doesn't really know about them, so they would be buying on rarity more than pure desire.

Carterruss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could always sell it to me for $80k (I'm in NH) :) but anyway I'd keep it if you are going to enjoy it unless you want cash for something else. But then again doesn't seem like you drive it so maybe get something you'll enjoy?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars might go stupid expensive if the EV changeover occurs quickly - but that move won't be apparent for at least 5-10 years in my totally uninformed, ignorant opinion.

NOTE: I think EV changeover will be stunted when the limitations of charging logistics including the capacity of the national power grid begin to be felt. However there are so many 2030 changeover mandates, it's probably going to happen no matter how painful.

wbogantz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What might ye be asking if you were thinkin' about selling? Cuz I'm definitely thinkin' bout buying. I'm in Ohio.

OP
OP
G

gregoilman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been tracking sales of the car past few months and it’s amazing the huge gap in selling prices. Recently learned of BAT site and quite a few of these have been sold thru the site and I would most likely give it a try.

OP
OP
G

gregoilman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I apologize but I don’t know how to get to your PM, if you could advise I’ll then get back to you. Sorry I am somewhat computer lacking.

dmerkle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Two 97 B&W GTS's got into the 115K range at Mecum Indy this past weekend. The one that sold was a 1 owner with around 5k miles.

OP
OP
G

gregoilman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the info., greatly appreciated. Perhaps you know, is the 97 actually more valuable than the 96? I bought my 96 new, 5120 miles.

OP
OP
G

gregoilman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold the vehicle last week , after listing it on Bring A Trailer to one of the bidders for 110K. Broke my heart to part with it after nursing it for 26 years, but I knew I wouldn’t be really using it especially if will continue to appreciate to keep miles low. Just got to the point of owning it just for the sake of saying I have a 96 Vioer GTS, and not getting any real enjoyment as it basically just sat. Unfortunately I’ve done this with all the cars I’ve owned, loved the hunt, then didn’t drive them to keep them pristine and passed them on like new to the next guy.