Tom Hnatiw dead 7/30/12

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The voice of Viper Cup racing for the first two seasons, Dream Car Garage, and numerous other "car programs", has passed. I saw this at the tail end of the newest broadcast of SRT Viper Cup racing broadcast on NBCSPHD yesterday (Wednesday) cox cable channel 716 - 3:30-4:00P.M. central. I googled and found he was 54, left a wife and two young children. I didn't find the cause of death and wonder if any of you have any more info. I saw him in the flesh at Hallet a couple of years back. They were filming Viper Cup at the track and the air temps. at the time were 105 to 110 degrees and no wind:crazy2:. During lunch break he gave me, a complete stranger, some bottled water, which I gratefully accepted. NICE GUY! :)(This was the broadcast where Tom was walking down the middle of the main straight with his back to the accelerating Vipers which were to roar past him on both sides. The Vipers had been sitting on cold tires around the curve before the straight and when the camera and Tom started filming the opener, the Vipers were given the go. So here's Tom doing his dialoge, sauntering down the middle of a race track with ten race-prepped Viper roaring up from behind. Well, one of the Vipers, on cold tires, lost it and spun. Tom couldn't see it, but (OH S--T:omg:) he could hear it. I never saw a man his size move that quickly searching for cover!) He will be missed!

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like many others was saddened by his passing. I saw him at the NARRA GTC time trial races at NJMP this past June and he really looked in poor health. I was amazed that he was out on the track in 95 degree weather broadcasting and moving from event to event.
PAVenomRT/10