Took off the side sills and what did I find???

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little green man!!!

No, 4 Bullet mufflers. I have never heard a stock RT/10 so I just thought mine was stock sounding. I took the side sills off to do a cat delete but found 2 bullet mufflers on both sides. Is it common so use two bullet mufflers on each side? The front muffler is shorter than the rear. So I guess the guy before me took the cat and stock muffler off and replaced them with two bullet mufflers. The problem is I'm still getting a lot of heat from this exhaust and it is messing up the paint. Should I take the front muffler off? Would that reduce some heat? Need to get my side sills painted but want to fix the heat problem first.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you seen a stock Viper cat? Are you sure the front "muffler" isn't actually a cat?

A little green man!!!

No, 4 Bullet mufflers. I have never heard a stock RT/10 so I just thought mine was stock sounding. I took the side sills off to do a cat delete but found 2 bullet mufflers on both sides. Is it common so use two bullet mufflers on each side? The front muffler is shorter than the rear. So I guess the guy before me took the cat and stock muffler off and replaced them with two bullet mufflers. The problem is I'm still getting a lot of heat from this exhaust and it is messing up the paint. Should I take the front muffler off? Would that reduce some heat? Need to get my side sills painted but want to fix the heat problem first.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true I should have stated that. I have not seen a stock cat. The first bullet might be a high flow cat. Not sure. I did find a invoice of the install. Looks like it only cost $545 installed. Sounded kind of check. They list 4 Bullet exhaust and nothing about a cat. What would be the best way of telling if its a cat or muffler?

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked the Bullet website and they showed the mufflers that are on the car. One is a 16" and the other is a 20" muffler. The rear which is the longer muffler looks to be discolored at the front and rear of the muffler. So my question is why is the back one discolored and not the front one? Should I take the front off and replace it with a straight pipe to reduce heat? Will that help any? Or should I just buy one of the side sill vents that bolts on the fron of the side sill?

Also has anyone ever bent the vent fins on the bottom of the side sills so it will be angled to force the air up in the sill?

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it sounds like you have two mufflers in each side then. If that is the only thing done to the exhaust, it is likely to still get a bit warm. I think you will notice a substantial drop in temps with a catback in addition to removing cats (or going with high flows).

As for the vents, I have no experience with them, but I hear they help.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell for sure, but maybe you missing some of the OEM insulation. There is a foil-covered cardboard like piece against the frame and a thin metal sheet and more foil-over-board inside the sill.

hardtop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take off the front muffler and that will help the heat problem and sound great.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are interested I have a new pair of sill vents that I am not going to use.PM me if you are interested.

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as heat, it shouldn't bother you the way it is set up. It might be missing insulation around the cover.

The gen 1 was notorious for the high heat eminating from the original cat on the side sills. Some owners experienced heat that would even burn or discolor the side covers. When I took off my stock cat and replaced it with a hi-flow, it was much, much, much cooler. On your catless system, it shouldn't bother you at all. There must be a problem.

Previously, you were looking to improve the sound. The way it is set up, it would be loud on wide open throttle. I'd recommend taking off the front bullets. And on inspection of the remaining pipe, check for obstructions of any sort and in the form of "exhaust cones" like these....
Dynatech: Vortex Cones Only

I'd recommend using the back bullets alone, replacing the rest with straight pipe.
While your car is being worked on, I recommend driving around for 10 mins without sills, muffs and pipe, while your exhaust guy works on the pipe off the car. Just ask them. That way you'll get a basis of what it sounds like....It's not that loud actually, until you start leaning into the throttle.

Lastly, I started from scratch and used 3" pipe and muffs and not the stock 2.5". That would help even more for cooling, power and sound. Something you might want to do if you have the money to burn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang